Mag?

Limshutian - Sanctuary
Limshutian - Sanctuary Posts: 111 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Archer
should i add magic because my mana runs out really fast and my mana only recharges at like 1m/s
or is it not worth it at all to put mag in my build
Post edited by Limshutian - Sanctuary on

Comments

• The_Forgoten - Lost City
    The_Forgoten - Lost City Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    NO MAGIC! I REPEAT NO MAGIC EVER!! When I was n00b I put 5 points into magic just like you are thinking of doing. I reset the other day and it was the best thing I ever did. b:victory Also, only use 2 skills. My combo is: Frost arrow (lvl5) [2-3 normal shots] Knockback Arrow (lvl1 DO NOT LVL THIS) [normal shot until dead]. Its a great combo and I will use it for quite a while. In a couple lvls I will try out Deadly Shot as an opener. Anyone know if it is any good?
  • Limshutian - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    thanks b:pleased i just got my knockback arrow and it works well now
  • Nnn - Sanctuary
    Nnn - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Lol

arches never need magic b:laugh
    its like making a barb have MAG insted of VIT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NNN-SANCTUARY
  • Nnn - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    NO MAGIC! I REPEAT NO MAGIC EVER!! When I was n00b I put 5 points into magic just like you are thinking of doing. I reset the other day and it was the best thing I ever did. b:victory Also, only use 2 skills. My combo is: Frost arrow (lvl5) [2-3 normal shots] Knockback Arrow (lvl1 DO NOT LVL THIS) [normal shot until dead]. Its a great combo and I will use it for quite a while. In a couple lvls I will try out Deadly Shot as an opener. Anyone know if it is any good?

your on the right track, i never lvl knockback because the knockback distance DOSE NOT increase, so i left it lvl 1 , cheap mana, good move.
    AIM LOW i love :) great opener.
    and my forst arrow is lvl 5.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NNN-SANCTUARY
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    ehhh...deadly shot kind of costs a lot of mana. lvl 1 deadly costs more mana than lvl 10 frost + lvl 1 knockback.

u're not going to get very far starting with deadly every mob unless u plan on packing pots. frost works just fine. sometimes i do use deadly on a sac assault mob to watch it die in 1 crit tho, but thats just to feel awesome.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    magic

no. ;)

____
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • Nnn - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    mbrunestud wrote: »
    ehhh...deadly shot kind of costs a lot of mana. lvl 1 deadly costs more mana than lvl 10 frost + lvl 1 knockback.

u're not going to get very far starting with deadly every mob unless u plan on packing pots. frost works just fine. sometimes i do use deadly on a sac assault mob to watch it die in 1 crit tho, but thats just to feel awesome.

LOL OOOOPS i ment aim low
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NNN-SANCTUARY
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    should i add magic because my mana runs out really fast and my mana only recharges at like 1m/s
    or is it not worth it at all to put mag in my build

You can invest in 1 item that helps with MP Recovery. Typically, you can find an Arcane Hat that gives such a bonus. I suggest using the Auction House.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i actually suggest looking under capes for a mp recovery item
  • Haruhara - Dreamweaver
    Haruhara - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I usually use an Arcane hat for the extra MP. I don't use Magic spells though, too much mana.
  • mbrunestud
    edited March 2009
    LOL OOOOPS i ment aim low

aim low costs a spark. i save it for when i need to fight incr life mobs
  • Yayforme - Lost City
    Yayforme - Lost City Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Lol

barbs shouldnt have mag..? b:sad
    DAMMIT
    UR ALL JEALOUS b:cool b:cool b:cool

IGN: YayForMe b:mischievous
  • Cufaen - Sanctuary
    Cufaen - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Lol

That's a mighty powerful 'never' you used there friend. Some of us like having a little Mag to take advantage of Elemental weaknesses. If I might ask, since you and I are the same level, what kind of damage do you do with a normal arrow. I'd like to know if I am missing out by not being 'pure'.
    "Lead me, follow me but get out of my way!"
  • mbrunestud
    edited March 2009
    i dont remember what my damage output was like in the 5x, plus i had a mob dropped bow, you can compare with mine at 6x when you get a TT60 because i remember those a lot clearer lol...but exactly how "impure" are you? you really wouldn't see too much of a difference until higher levels, when the gap between crit% and attack strength widen due to the increasing difference in stats and due to having higher level weapons. at any rate, i'm sure you've realized by now how easy it is to get mana, mana regen, hp regen, etc.
    i personally have +25 hp regen, +3 mana regen from all my equipment right now, will be replaced by TT70 tho, in which case charms ftw. earlier on i had +9 mana regen until i scrapped that in favor of hp regen. some of that i bought for cheap, some of that i actually found from mobs (NOT armor of the barbarian shaman and zombie warrior leggings, all 1 star stuff)

however, what is not easy to get are crit percentages...that stuff sell for high coinage...or you get it with massive rep...i promised myself i would wrench those 2 +2% crit rings from vert's cold clenched paws someday (nothing against vert, just like the rings), until the other day when i saw one at auction starting at 2.6mil...TWO POINT SIX MILL! was it just vert's inflated prices or is it really worth that much? i needed coinage for TT70, and i wasn't really serious about getting equipment i wont use for oh...19 more levels but otherwise dam i would've so bought that. at any rate, extra crits dont sell for cheap, nor do they come easily. those rings dont appear at auction everyday either. hybrid at lvl 60 is already missing out on 3% crits.

so yeah, dex and crits is much more important than magic; the later you level, the easier it gets to kill something with minimal casting of spells. who cares about elemental weaknesses? most 5x mobs you'd grind on are metal, fire, or water. (unless you absolutely insist on wood DoT mobs) if it dies by frost + knockback before it gets a chance to hit me, it dies by frost + knockback alone.

at mid 5x to early 6x, when you grind foxwings, its going to be frost + knockback, and eventually just frost - minimal mana usage.

at mid 6x, when you grind nightstalkers, same deal

at late 6x to probably early 7x, alucard's minions, same deal, and their defense is water by the way; you will be spending lots of time in the air casting frost + knockback, and only frost + knockback...my mana charm survived 4 levels of grinding, and that was with many castings of barrage for fun...(and suicidal attempts to take out 4+ mobs at once)

in short, no you dont need magic, as many high level archers have told people time and again.
  • Dimiter - Lost City
    Dimiter - Lost City Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    If you use Winged Shell, Deadly Shot (opener) and Knockback Arrow (used once) work wonders at almost no mana cost (about 30MP per kill and you gain some chi). Everything else goes perfectly fine with normal attacks in most cases.

And no, Magic is rather useless unless you want to use the starters' wings for which you need a bit of Magic or something that gives +MP recovery in order to be able to use them effectively.
  • Cufaen - Sanctuary
    Cufaen - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    If my math is right then at my level (56) a 'pure' archer has 60 STR and 220 DEX assuming 5 of each to start and no cash shop things to alter anything. Makes 11% crit, right? So I am 1% crit behind at only 10%. I have been doing the 'pure' approach for maybe 30 levels so I guess I am not losing much yet. Also, I've never bothered with a MP charm, never needed one.
    "Lead me, follow me but get out of my way!"
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    If my math is right then at my level (56) a 'pure' archer has 60 STR and 220 DEX assuming 5 of each to start and no cash shop things to alter anything. Makes 11% crit, right? So I am 1% crit behind at only 10%. I have been doing the 'pure' approach for maybe 30 levels so I guess I am not losing much yet. Also, I've never bothered with a MP charm, never needed one.

ur p attack will also be lacking as well as accuracy

mag dosent help if ur not magic

from a PURE WIZEH b:cute
  • Suiryujin - Sanctuary
    Suiryujin - Sanctuary Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    ur p attack will also be lacking as well as accuracy

mag dosent help if ur not magic

from a PURE WIZEH b:cute

archers almost never lack accuracy, at least not for PvE, PvP is another story there.

but yes, mag doesnt help you not enough for the cost at least. on higher lvls you can get by using frost arrow>normal attackx3>knockback>hit until dead. mix in a winged shell every so often and u should have no mana problems. i found some ground mobs at 75+ which i can kill with just frost+normal attacks, alternating with frost-wingshell every 1-2 mob allowed me to grind at the cost of 0 mana pots and 0 second used for meditation.
    My body is made of swords.
    Iron is my blood, and glass is my heart.
    I have overcome countless battlefields undefeated,
    Without once retreating,
    Nor once being understood.
    Always alone, intoxicated with victory on the hill of swords.
    Therefore, there is no meaning to that life.
    Perhaps this body is nothing but a sword itself.
  • mbrunestud
    edited March 2009

everyone starts w/ 1% crit, so at lvl 56 pure dex has 12%
    lol good4you with the charm, but just b/c i said i have one doesn't mean i needed it. its just convenient not having to click pots during grinding.
    also, massive usage of mana at wraith events, playing with barrage, etc. but its not like having that few bit of magic would not require spamming of pots during those situations either
  • Limshutian - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    well anyway i started doing some apoth and solved all my mana problems w/ focus powder.....well as long as i can find enough herbs before all five run out ><