Dear PWI Management! (Compliments and complaints)

glortor
glortor Posts: 163 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Suggestion Box
Dear PWI Management! (Compliments and complaints)

First of all, I'd like to thank you for this beautiful game you have created! It is truly a work of art and very well done from the site design through the game's looks and mechanics, as far as the very last bit. The servers are practically lagless as far as I can tell, and the game is more than just entertaining, it is downright addictive!

I have all wonderful things to say about your game, the world, and some of the people I've met here.
- By playability and general mechanics the game is up to par with every other mmorpg out there, of course there are flaws here and there but nothing some good testing and patching can't solve.
- By appearance PWI beats most MMOrpgs out there. Hands down.
- The PVP system shows signs of attempting to balance, unlike another game I've been playing for a while now. (Not advertising other games on your forums of course.)
- PVE combat seems sometimes lacking but that might be because I haven't reached the higher levels yet.

Here come a few personal observations, opinions and suggestions if I may. Disclaimer: we are all human beings by some luck and we might err. I call things as I see'em, feel free to correct me if you see I'm wrong.
Everything I say here, I mean as constructive criticism, as to what I think would make the game even more enjoyable.

1. Classes and abilities
- It is apparent that certain classes manage better in pvp or pve than others. Balancing a game is terribly hard I know, so here come a few points I think are valid. They are just opinions from a random person so feel free to discard or consider as you see fit.

a.) Time management while in PVE (aka Leveling, Grinding)
Level 2 to 10 is too easy. Hands down. And after level 10 you suddenly start to take too much damage for comfort and your leveling drastically slows down. Instead of forcing downtime (sitting and recovering) the amount of monsters one needs to kill could be increased in quests as well as their loot, in trade for much higher repair costs on the player gear. This would ensure that people indeed need to spend time and effort grinding, while a steady pace could be kept without needing to sit and do nothing (aka Meditate, recover) for an elonged time.

b.) Character progress. (aka experience and spirit points)
I'm not the only one that has noticed that despite all my efforts I still get the same amount of spirit points per kill despite the increased spirit cost for spells/abilities/skills. This is very bad especially as there seems to be no valid way of unlearning / resetting your skills learned. I have started to like a spell earlier on and later on noticed a better one, but then I already spent a serious amount of spirit on leveling the previous one which apparently made me fall behind on spirit progress. Despite all my effort, my character would need over a hundred thousand spirit points to catch up. I'm struggling to get the twelve thousand it takes to get a single skill next level.
I think it might be just me misunderstanding the system or missing something, but I'd appreciate if it was possible to pay an amount of coin to unlearn all my spells/abilities for spirit refund so I can fix any mistakes I've made.

c.) Character viability (**Crash boom bang** CLERIIIIC!!)
Like I said, downtimes are horrible, you spend way too much time sitting and you barely make enough cash to stock up on those potions. Charms?? Dream on...
- Aggro is terrible sometimes, a monster may randomly pop up right next to you and engage you despite you having engaged yet another. It would be better to give players some time to breathe in my opinion.

- I especially noticed this for the Cleric and Wizard class but you can choose between not having enough mana but wearing armor and risking death in two hits but running out of mana anyway, while the experience- (and what's worse, the spirit-) gain is drastically lowered in a party(or squad).
Currently there are no spells that would properly protect the caster, as well as there are no possible ways for melee classes to avoid death.

d. The bottom line: Teamplay is not rewarding at the moment.

Like I said above: the experience- (and what's worse, the spirit-) gain is drastically lowered in a party(or squad).
It makes little sense in my opinion that a group would gain less and soloing would be more rewarding.
My suggestion would be to reward squads rather than solo play by increasing XP gain in squad as long as the character level difference is not too great (or even for those people in squad on the same quest, thus encouraging team play).

I'll check back when I can come up with more to rant about ,thank you for reading this and thank you for the fun!
Post edited by glortor on

Comments

• glortor
    edited February 2009
    2. The visuals
    Okay so the world is breath-taking and the characters are beautiful (or ugly if I want... LOVE to mess around with the editor). I love to just run around enjoying the scenery as well as just sitting around on a hilltop while I am on the phone.

a) Character clothing.
    I don't know if it ever happened to anybody else but just when I found a Necromancer's Robe I loved the design and colour of, I had to change it for the next one which did not agree with my hair or eyes.
    My suggestion would be to allow customization on standard gear not just boutique gear, OR to perhaps allow standard gear to be equipped in the Special slot for its looks.

Or maybe standard gear could just unlock the looks one by one. What I mean is, your level 1 outfit can only look level 1 ,but the level 2 outfit could be changed to look like the level1 as well, and the level 3 would allow you to look level 1, 2 or 3 if you wish.
    But being able to change the colours of said outfits would also be great.

b) Areas.
    I -SO- miss inns, castles, small houses, dojos, - INTERIORS - from the whole world. Places to sit down to chat in.
  • xtrm9
    xtrm9 Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    U cannot complain about grinding as all free / item shop mmorpg's have a lot of grinding in game so that people may use item mall to ease their progress.
    They also have to pay their bills and without grinding i think very few ppl will use the item mall with real money if at all.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    mages are the least balenced class... mages are around average in pve and epic fail in pvp
  • xtrm9
    xtrm9 Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Mages shine endgame if you actually know how to play them
  • glortor
    edited February 2009
    xtrm9 wrote: »
    without grinding i think very few ppl will use the item mall with real money if at all.

I absolutely agree, xtrm9!

And believe it or not, that is exactly what I mean. I love to grind when I'm back from 5-6 hours of work + university and then 2-4 hours of training, to just relax and enjoy the game and its mechanics.
    My point however, was that the grinding is not fluent enough, it is interrupted by all the downtime (aka "resting" or "meditation"). Instead of downtime-management we could rather have more (amounts of) monsters to kill so the intended time elapsed while completing the quest is the same, but the gameplay is more fluent and I don't spend a lot of time sitting and doing nothing.
  • Shaylandiane - Sanctuary
    Shaylandiane - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Yet another idea regarding quest rewards.

I realize that casters don't mind much what kind of weapon they get as a reward, whether it's a staff or sword they don't care as long as the spell damage on it is adequate. However, for warrior types such as a blade master it would be rather important to get the kind of weapon they wish to use henceforth -
    My suggestion would be to either implement a check or an actual choice of weapon at some point early on so that the game can hand out the adequate weapon type. It wouldn't matter much if a Trial Fist, Trial Axe or Trial Pike all had the same property in my opinion.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Down time is bad and many players hate it, including me.

However, your fixes might not work. Since, you can reduce a lot your down time by using pots manufactured by players. These are way better than the ones you get from Apotecary.

I think a single way of improving this is reducing the amount of resourses needed for this potions.
  • Shaylandiane - Sanctuary
    Shaylandiane - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I disagree for one single reason:
    You can only kill downtime on classes that are solo-viable. Clerics are apparently not. But there are other points to note up there as well other than this particular one...
  • Aezy - Sanctuary
    Aezy - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    glortor wrote: »
    the experience- (and what's worse, the spirit-) gain is drastically lowered in a party(or squad).
    It makes little sense in my opinion that a group would gain less and soloing would be more rewarding.
    My suggestion would be to reward squads rather than solo play by increasing XP gain in squad as long as the character level difference is not too great (or even for those people in squad on the same quest, thus encouraging team play).

I'll check back when I can come up with more to rant about ,thank you for reading this and thank you for the fun!

QFT, as community oriented as an MMO such as this is, why are we penalized for joining a squad?
  • Aliceskywing - Heavens Tear
    Aliceskywing - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i agree with most of what you said i think that there should be a rep discount for every time you reach a rep rank so buying gems, potions,repairs etc. It would help ease the money frustration most players have
  • songuy
    songuy Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    xtrm9 wrote: »
    Mages shine endgame if you actually know how to play them

that's wonderful....any ideas on how to get that mage to lvl 100 without rage qutting. (or punching the screen trying to help your wizzardb:chuckle) lmao "I'll kill it for u" *punches screen* "ah ****, I broke my monitor"b:laugh
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    xtrm9 wrote:
    U cannot complain about grinding as all free / item shop mmorpg's have a lot of grinding in game so that people may use item mall to ease their progress.
    They also have to pay their bills and without grinding i think very few ppl will use the item mall with real money if at all.

I completely agree with you. And additionally.....grinding is nothing until you reach level 60+ where you have to grind out 75% of your level.
    I disagree for one single reason:
    You can only kill downtime on classes that are solo-viable. Clerics are apparently not. But there are other points to note up there as well other than this particular one...

Clerics can be solo-viable if you know how to play them and what mobs to kill. There are plenty out there that deal very low, if any damage and are extremely rewarding in there exp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Cantor - Raging Tide
    Cantor - Raging Tide Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Just one detail:

I'm still very noob in this game, but not in MMORPG in general.

Here I was meditating a lot until I was about lvl 21-22. Then I said "enough time wasting" and started using potions.

You do collect all drops when kill monsters? (Read thread about how to make and how to save money.) When you calculate expenses on pots and time gain with them, faster drops more than cover pots expenses.

My main problem (for now) is something else: How to unlearn skills. I hope some day GameMasters will know how to make skill unlearn possible.

I did read some guides BEFORE I made character, many points are common in all guides, but few things in different guides were in contradiction. Different people, different personal experience interpretation.

Before knowing the game I made some sort of conclusion / decision and started with one build, but now, after some playing I know better.

Unfortunately, I can't correct my errors without character deleting and starting over.

And 7 days deletion delay is good as **** protection, but I'm impatient to wait. I have real reasons why I would like to save as much time as possible, but it is not the topic here.

I hope to see skill unlearn soon, as I'm not the only one who really want / need it.

At least someone could tell me can I use same name on newly created character after deleting old one.
  • SneakyKas - Sanctuary
    SneakyKas - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    mages are epic fail in pvp

Except they aren't. If well played, they can destroy anything in 5 seconds xD. Except for the cheap bitchass sins of course.
    kaste - BM 90 / SneakyKas - 49
    PsychicKas - 20 / FurryKas - 17
    HealingKas - 14 / KasTheSeeker - 11
    MysticalKas - 5 / CritKas - 1
    NukeKas - 1 / VenomousKas - 1
    God damn recording makes my leveling slow.
  • destenover
    destenover Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    When I leved up to lv 30 wih my earh guard character I was expecting to get the real kite to fly with, but instead I got a shard and charm tag, was it only beacuse I still had the time-limited kite you get for three days?
    will I get my kite eventully, or do I have to buy one?
  • Outlaw_Arch - Heavens Tear
    Outlaw_Arch - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    destenover wrote: »
    When I leved up to lv 30 wih my earh guard character I was expecting to get the real kite to fly with, but instead I got a shard and charm tag, was it only beacuse I still had the time-limited kite you get for three days?
    will I get my kite eventully, or do I have to buy one?

you get the kite at level 30 from a quest.

now back on topic.

you see all those lovely herbs just sitting around on the map? did you know you can make awemone pots with themO_o? i've also seen ppl make herb dotation catshops, i don't know who well they work but the fact that i always see them must man ppl willingly give herbs lol.

i have a level 60 cerlic and i never had a problem soloing even before i got an hp charm.

i also never had an issue geting money for pots. some classes are outright coin sinks if you ask me. try a veno or an archer, you'll save the money for pots. tag along with guildmates in TT etc and you may be lucky and get a few drops.
  • jaanyoo
    jaanyoo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    necro
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Necro-ed twice.How did it happen?
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    It's a double necro all the waaaaay! b:faint