Nix skills

Skai_disiri - Sanctuary
Skai_disiri - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Venomancer
What should i teach my nix as 4th skill?
And should i change the pounce skill? And if so what should i replace it with?
Post edited by Skai_disiri - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I use bash as 4th skill and still have pounce. I haven't had a problem yet.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Leave Pounce, add Flesh Ream.

/thread
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Only if you like abusing bugs.
    Main characters
    edited March 2009
    Even if you dont its still a great skill for pve too, nobody says you have to abuse it.
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    99% of people with a phoenix use flesh ream as the fourth skill. Zoe is just stubborn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blade__Queen - Heavens Tear
    Blade__Queen - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i also will be getting a phoenix soon as im fed up with grinding so will just put so gold on,

anyway so whcih is better as 4th skill fleshream or bash?
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i also will be getting a phoenix soon as im fed up with grinding so will just put so gold on,

anyway so whcih is better as 4th skill fleshream or bash?

If you PvP a lot, then until they get around to fixing it, Flesh Ream.

If you don't, then Bash.

REASON FOR BASH IN PvE: shorter CD = more damage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Dont get bash on a nix.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Dont get bash on a nix.

Why would that be? It hits really hard, has a fast cooldown and its not broken. I find nothing wrong with bash.

PvP is about spike damage so a damage over time isn't going to cut it. Bash does the same damage just all at once. 8 second cooldown beats a 15 second cooldown.

Did I mention Bash isn't broken?
    Main characters
    edited March 2009
    Dont get bash on a nix.

If you don't PvP then there is no reason to get Flesh Ream.

The numbers favor Bash in PvE over Flesh Ream.

Flesh Ream:

CD: 15 seconds with a DoT effect

Bash:

8 second CD

In 15 seconds Bash will hit twice, and be 1 second from a third hit.

In 30 seconds Bash will hit four times

in 45 seconds Bash will hit six times.

Flesh ream will hit 2/3/4 times in the same amount of time. (initial attack+ CDs)

For PvE purposes Bash > Flesh Ream
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Bash doenst provide any advange over normal attacking for a nix, other then aggro. Between casting and animation you lose 2 seconds(which is 2 normal attacks) and bash is 200% dmg.

Flesh ream does hit for normal dmg on the inital hit, then is followed by the additional 200% dmg(over 9 seconds) so technically does more damage. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

So yes it favors bash for aggro grabbing, but not overall damage.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    15 second cooldown, 8 second cooldown. Do the math.

Even if you do pvp bash is better because its not broken. I'd rather use a normal skill and prove my worth in pvp rather than a broken one to show I'm a coward.
    Main characters
    edited March 2009
    Like I said bash doesnt add any DPS because of cast and animation. Whereas Flesh Ream as far as I can tell, hits initial dmg +200%(therefore after cast and animation actually adds 100%[basically 1 more attack] in 9 seconds) so actually adds to your DPS.

So Bash for aggro, and Flesh Ream for DPS. Unless I looked at the skills the wrong way, I could be mistaken but I think thats right b:shutup
  • Sadpuma - Heavens Tear
    Sadpuma - Heavens Tear Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Ive had both bash and Flesh ream on my nix.

I currently have ream bc attempting to take out a lvl 90+ veno with a nix with ream is impossible unless you fight fire with fire.

If the flesh ream wasnt bugged, I definately preferred bash over the flesh ream. It was SOOOO much better. Of course its persoanl preference, but even for pvp bash is good, but TW's require ream on a nix (until the bug is fixed).

Cheers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Like I said bash doesnt add any DPS because of cast and animation. Whereas Flesh Ream as far as I can tell, hits initial dmg +200%(therefore after cast and animation actually adds 100%[basically 1 more attack] in 9 seconds) so actually adds to your DPS.

So Bash for aggro, and Flesh Ream for DPS. Unless I looked at the skills the wrong way, I could be mistaken but I think thats right b:shutup

I've been watching my pet that has bash, and the CD on it starts as soon as it starts using it before the animation starts, and it's faster than 2seconds by at least .5 seconds. Are you sure it isn't tied to the pets attack speed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear
    Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    What I been trying to figure out now is what skills to get for my Nix, now that genies are on the way, and Ream is going to be useless. I agree with an earlier poster. In TW you need to fight fire with fire. And have no issues using a skill deemed broken, if somebody else is going to use it on me, or my guildmates. Has anyone done any preplanning on what they think will be best to use in combo with the upcoming genies, and the skills they bring to the battlefield?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will never do anything in this world without courage.
    It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
    ~Aristotle
    edited March 2009
    I've been watching my pet that has bash, and the CD on it starts as soon as it starts using it before the animation starts, and it's faster than 2seconds by at least .5 seconds. Are you sure it isn't tied to the pets attack speed?
    I didnt mean the cooldown, but the casting/animation will make you miss about 2 normal attack in the same time frame from what I can tell. Of course I dont know exact timing.

Obviously with a slower attacking pet the impact would be less noticable, but its pretty noticable with nix's fast normal attacking speed.

So it's quite possible that Ream technically adds more dps. Of course I'm not a mathmetician and dont have all the figures, just going off what I've seen personally and I do believe theres some merit to what I'm saying.
  • mentallaxative
    mentallaxative Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    The numbers favor Bash in PvE over Flesh Ream.

Flesh Ream:

CD: 15 seconds with a DoT effect

Bash:

8 second CD

In 15 seconds Bash will hit twice, and be 1 second from a third hit.

In 30 seconds Bash will hit four times

in 45 seconds Bash will hit six times.

Flesh ream will hit 2/3/4 times in the same amount of time. (initial attack+ CDs)

For PvE purposes Bash > Flesh Ream

I managed to cheaply buy a Flesh Ream scroll and I stuck it on my golem. When fighting regular monsters, I rarely get the opportunity to use it more than once, and if I do, the monster tends to die before Flesh Ream ends. The upfront damage on Bash means that none of it ever goes to waste, so yeah, I'd say Bash is superior for those reasons too.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Flesh Ream does damage over time, Bash does the same damage, yet all at once, and isn't spike damage what pvp is all about? Plus holding agro in pve is a very nice thing.
    Main characters
    edited March 2009
    Flesh Ream does damage over time, Bash does the same damage, yet all at once, and isn't spike damage what pvp is all about? Plus holding agro in pve is a very nice thing.
    Actually Flesh Ream does techically 300% dmg(Base attack followed by the additional 200%) while bash does 200% dmg. Or at least thats how it looks to me(I could be wrong I never actually counted the ticks, but thats how it looks), which is the whole bases of my argument for dps.
    ie) Bash 8k || Flesh Ream 4k + 8k(over 9 s)

Bash is the same as 2 attacks worth of damage(but interupts your normal attacking[as does any petskill], making you miss about 2 normal attacks) so doesnt help you kill any faster. While Flesh Ream is 3 attacks worth of damage(2 of which over 9 seconds) for the same 2 normal attacks interupted. Or thats my theory.
  • Ripokeke - Sanctuary
    Ripokeke - Sanctuary Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Actually Flesh Ream does techically 300% dmg(Base attack followed by the additional 200%) while bash does 200% dmg. Or at least thats how it looks to me(I could be wrong I never actually counted the ticks, but thats how it looks), which is the whole bases of my argument for dps.
    ie) Bash 8k || Flesh Ream 4k + 8k(over 9 s)

Bash is the same as 2 attacks worth of damage(but interupts your normal attacking[as does any petskill], making you miss about 2 normal attacks) so doesnt help you kill any faster. While Flesh Ream is 3 attacks worth of damage(2 of which over 9 seconds) for the same 2 normal attacks interupted. Or thats my theory.

ohhh sounds nice. maybe should get my golem another skill... flesh ream! b:chuckle b:dirty

btw, shouldn't OP add both skills, bash and flesh ream, and take out Pounce? b:shocked
    edited March 2009
    ohhh sounds nice. maybe should get my golem another skill... flesh ream! b:chuckle b:dirty

btw, shouldn't OP add both skills, bash and flesh ream, and take out Pounce? b:shocked

Thanks it might not be completely acurate but I do think its not as clearcut as one being completely better then the other.

Also I wouldnt take off pounce, and extra stun is always helpful, specially with veno stun being very ... lacking.
  • Peritia - Lost City
    Peritia - Lost City Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Ran the numbers two different ways, here's the results.

Period: 120 seconds (real number of uses for each)

Bash: 200% base damage; 8 second cooldown.

Flesh Ream: Base Damage, plus 200% over 9 seconds; 15 second cooldown.

Method 1: Examining Skill Effects Only
    Bash
    Uses/Period: 15
    Total Damage: 3000
    Flesh Ream
    Uses/Period: 8
    Total Damage: 2400

Method 2: Examining EXTRA Damage dealt
    Bash: 100% extra damage
    Total Damage: 1500
    Flesh Ream: 200% extra damage
    Total Damage: 1600

Make what you will of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Ran the numbers two different ways, here's the results.

Period: 120 seconds (real number of uses for each)

Bash: 200% base damage; 8 second cooldown.

Flesh Ream: Base Damage, plus 200% over 9 seconds; 15 second cooldown.

Method 1: Examining Skill Effects Only
    Bash
    Total Damage: 3000
    Flesh Ream
    Total Damage: 2400

Method 2: Examining EXTRA Damage dealt
    Bash: 100% extra damage
    Total Damage: 1500
    Flesh Ream: 200% extra damage
    Total Damage: 1600

Make what you will of it.
    Quite the mindF***. I understand how you got both numbers just cant seem to bring meaning out of it lol.

I think, If I'm understanding it correctly, it shows Bash spikes more, and Flesh ream adds more damage per second.

Interesting to say the least
    edited March 2009
    Either way, I think the results are good. And will work great for PVE. The thing I don't see anyone talking about though is the upcoming nerf to Flesh Ream by the New Genies in the next expansion. So even though I have Flesh Ream 4 on my Nix. I think I'm going to go for Bash to replace it here in the very near future. But I am only considering the TW and PVP usage of these skills. And could frankly care less about which is better for PVE. Either way, whatever I fight with my Nix, whether I have skill A or skill B the performance of either skill will be hardly noticable.

But thats just me. You number chrunchers most likely will see it differently. All I care is that it dies, dies, dies. If it dies in 8.33 secs or 8.45 secs, don't much matter to me, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Aristotle
  • redonyou
    redonyou Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you flesh ream once in a 15s timespan and bash twice, wouldn't you also be getting in 1 more regular swing with flehsh ream?
    edited March 2009
    redonyou wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you flesh ream once in a 15s timespan and bash twice, wouldn't you also be getting in 1 more regular swing with flehsh ream?
    Well none of us know the actual skill attack animation/casting time, so you cant technically factor it in.
    Though I agree, since your not wasting time on a bash, you will get a normal hit in instead, adding to my dps claim.

Also @ foxx_trott
    Even though genies will have that new Blood clott skill, Flesh ream will still probably get off 1 bleed tick beofre the person uses the skill.
    edited March 2009

Also @ foxx_trott
    Even though genies will have that new Blood clott skill, Flesh ream will still probably get off 1 bleed tick beofre the person uses the skill.

Which is the reason why I see bash now being so much better.

My opinion on Flesh Ream has been changed. And this thread helped me make that decision. /salute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Aristotle
    edited March 2009
    Which is the reason why I see bash now being so much better.

My opinion on Flesh Ream has been changed. And this thread helped me make that decision. /salute
    Well I'm not sure, but I believe 1 bleed tick might even be stronger then the entire Bash damage(in pvp, as it is now) so it would still be beneficial to use.

Plus we dont know the blood clots cast time/cooldown, double plus dont expect genies to be out anywhere in the near future.

I'm all for bash on slow attacking pets and for aggro grabbing, but on phoenix cant see myself ever using bash...
  • Green_bean - Heavens Tear
    Green_bean - Heavens Tear Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Well I'm not sure, but I believe 1 bleed tick might even be stronger then the entire Bash damage(in pvp, as it is now) so it would still be beneficial to use.

Plus we dont know the blood clots cast time/cooldown, double plus dont expect genies to be out anywhere in the near future.

You words are noted. Either way, I think people can do no wrong with either skill. For now at least I wouldn't go out, and upgrade Flesh Ream to level 5 anytime soon, with whats heading our way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]