Which class?

darksacred
darksacred Posts: 18
edited March 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
I'm looking at starting later today when the game finishes downloading and was just wondering which class to go with.

I'll be playing with a couple of friends, one probably taking Cleric and my other friend is already a level 40 something Blademaster.

I was considering either taking Cleric, Archer or Mage. I usually play ranged classes so these would probably best suit my playing style.

Out of these three which is the best for:

(1) Player vs Player combat (PKing)

(2) Player vs Environment // Leveling

(3) What is the survivability of these classes?

(4) With regards to population on Sanctuary are any of these classes over//under populated?

(5) In addition to this which of these classes has the easiest and cheapest // hardest and most expensive equipment to obtain?

(6) Do any of the above classes struggle with solo play as even though I do intend on playing most of my time with my friends I will also have to spend a fair amount of time soloing.

(7) Are their any penalties for death?

(8) Which of the above three classes looks the best endgame? (I know this is very much a personal opinion but what the hell)

(9) Which of the above classes has the most powerful skills?

(10) Do any of them have multiple//AoE attacks?

(11) Which class has the most downtime//recovery time between using attacks?

(12) I assume playing as a mage class will be expensive due to him requiring mana to cast spells? Do the other classes share this "problem"?

(13) In relation to the above question is it difficult to make enough money to sustain leveling or would a lot of time "farming" to make money be required?

(14) What is the population like on Sanctuary server? (approx figures??)

I'm sure I'll come up with a whole bunch of more questions but cant really think of anything else off the top of my head right now.

Looking forward to some replies and thanks for the help b:victory

/Dark Sacred b:angry
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I would recommend reading the different beginners guide on the forums.

This type of question can turn into a battle over which class is better then the other...b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • darksacred
    edited March 2009
    I would recommend reading the different beginners guide on the forums.

This type of question can turn into a battle over which class is better then the other...b:thanks

I've read three of the stickies and the website but they don't seem to offer much information that would answer the questions I've posted above.

Ha ha if people want to get into a heated debate over which class is better for what then thats a good thing right? As get to see both sides of the argument for/against.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    darksacred wrote: »
    I'm looking at starting later today when the game finishes downloading and was just wondering which class to go with.

I'll be playing with a couple of friends, one probably taking Cleric and my other friend is already a level 40 something Blademaster.

I was considering either taking Cleric, Archer or Mage. I usually play ranged classes so these would probably best suit my playing style.

Out of these three which is the best for:

(1) Player vs Player combat (PKing)

(2) Player vs Environment // Leveling

(3) What is the survivability of these classes?

(4) With regards to population on Sanctuary are any of these classes over//under populated?

(5) In addition to this which of these classes has the easiest and cheapest // hardest and most expensive equipment to obtain?

(6) Do any of the above classes struggle with solo play as even though I do intend on playing most of my time with my friends I will also have to spend a fair amount of time soloing.

(7) Are their any penalties for death?

(8) Which of the above three classes looks the best endgame? (I know this is very much a personal opinion but what the hell)

(9) Which of the above classes has the most powerful skills?

(10) Do any of them have multiple//AoE attacks?

(11) Which class has the most downtime//recovery time between using attacks?

(12) I assume playing as a mage class will be expensive due to him requiring mana to cast spells? Do the other classes share this "problem"?

(13) In relation to the above question is it difficult to make enough money to sustain leveling or would a lot of time "farming" to make money be required?

(14) What is the population like on Sanctuary server? (approx figures??)

I'm sure I'll come up with a whole bunch of more questions but cant really think of anything else off the top of my head right now.

Looking forward to some replies and thanks for the help b:victory

/Dark Sacred b:angry

Just my opinion but you are complicating your decision too much. I will give you my suggestion but still. Think of having fun

Do you want to go easy? Veno. Still, you might **** up if you don't learn to play your character. I saw a Veno level 65 getting killed in FB19. I saw this last saturday.

Do you want to help? Veno, Barb, Cleric.

Do you want to be helped? Cleric, BM, Barb.

Do you want to PK? Veno, Archer

Do you want to do a bit of everything? BM
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Maybe you should consider playing one of each for a few levels and then decide. To be honest I went with a cleric initially because we can fly...b:victory

But I can say honestly that I love playing this class!

But if you want some answers: (these are all VERY general, but might help a little)...It is all in how you build and play the class. Like darkscared mentioned....even high levels can be killed with lower level mobs if they have not built there character right

1) Depends on stats and who you are fighting but Clerics are definitely not the class for pvp, esp if you build on an full-support. But in my experience, high level archers, and venos do very well.

2) Veno's level fantastically if you are looking for a fast leveling class. The ones you are considering can level fast it just depends on how much time you are willing to put into grinding.

3) All 3 of these classes are squishy...lol. But once again it depends on what, who and where fighting. Clerics I think can have the hardest time surviving if you do not know how to use your skills right.

4) (not on Sanctuary)

5) Clerics are expensive! Many of the skills can cost a lot both in coins and in spirit. I spent 170k upgrading one skill and that is not the most expensive. Additionally, making money can be hard, but when you are just starting it is wise to pick up and sell everything.

6) Yes to answer your question. But once again is depends on your skills and how you play. I know some Mages at 5+ my level that cannot survive mobs that I can. Some mobs are easier for one class then the other (phys vs. mag).

7) YES! You lose exp with all characters after reaching...ooo...I think level 15. When you are little it does not matter much but when a higher level a death without a decent res can mean an extra hour or 2 of grinding to get it back. Unless you want to carry dolls with you constantly, but I personally did not start carrying dolls till about lvl 55.

8) (Biased) I luv my Cleric and have way too many clothing options. I also like the look of the higher level armor.

9) Cleric = great heal skills, attack is good but not fantastic if comparing to the barbs and such, good aoe once it is upgraded

Mages = have some killer aoe's once upgraded and if played right can do some serious damage

Archers = I know archers as the pk class..lol...they can sneak attack, pull and have aoe as well

10) (See 9)

11) This all depends on the skill. In terms of casting, there is instant to 4-5 sec, it depends

12) It can be expensive bc of the mana and the use of pots. I personally play with charms but did not do so until about lvl 55. Some skills can be a killer on the mp though and just about require one...is: Regeneration Aura which kills 500mp per sec. Archers I don't think that a huge issue with this. Mages can have an issue if they are not careful. I have seen some completely run out in a fight and others that can hold there own.

13) Yes and no. This is a long running debate on the forums. I have no problem making money in the game but a lot of clerics say think that it is the hardest class to make money. Then again the other classes might say that as well. The only class that I know that makes money easy and fast is the veno.

14) (not on Sant.)

b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • darksacred
    edited March 2009
    Decided to go with Mage for now, going to see how it plays out for a few levels!

Loving the char creation so indepth!
  • Chaorrow - Lost City
    Chaorrow - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    id say be a mage for variety of ur frends if u r gonna play with them a lot and they have some nice AOE and strong spells
    I think it would suit u well