A Racial filter in the game ?

lllsilverlll
lllsilverlll Posts: 10 Arc User
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
Sorry for the offensive title... but its the truth... the filter is discriminating people based on their region... why the (Japan , Japanese) words get filtered where as (China, Chinese) or the rest of the world countries / nationality do not get filtered....
Its then something against Japan.... Since this game is Chinese in origin ... then I think the reason is obvious ...if you know the history between china and japan... I hope this is not the issue... but SERIOUSLY why ?

Any ideas ? and any other normal words are getting filtered as well ?
Post edited by lllsilverlll on

Comments

• scridon
    scridon Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=***

EDIT: it filters out the word here also. :S

Just replace the 3 stars with the 3 first letters in Japanese
  • mentallaxative
    mentallaxative Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    The first three letters of that country are considered derogatory to the people who live there.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Sorry for the offensive title... but its the truth... the filter is discriminating people based on their region... why the (Japan , Japanese) words get filtered where as (China, Chinese) or the rest of the world countries / nationality do not get filtered....
    Its then something against Japan.... Since this game is Chinese in origin ... then I think the reason is obvious ...if you know the history between china and japan... I hope this is not the issue... but SERIOUSLY why ?

Any ideas ? and any other normal words are getting filtered as well ?

Before WWII, it was perfectly acceptable to use. However, during WWII, after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, it was used predominately as a racial slur against the Japanese, a status is still retains today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Soniclllll - Heavens Tear
    Soniclllll - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    well i consider "The" to be a derogatory term so that needs to be filtered .....

seirousley liek 90% of the games out there should be some way to to turn it off ts just sad that devlopers keep puttng filters in games
  • DarkNeko - Lost City
    DarkNeko - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    they're trying to make sure they don't end up in a law suit.
  • dieseasily
    dieseasily Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    You cannot say FireCracker in game because a Cracker is a derogatory term for white americans. I find this funny because they can sell firecrackers and hold events that use firecrackers but you can not say it. The filter on this game is over sensative. But I sappose better safe then sorry.
    Dumb people are blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are. - Patrick Starfish
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i found it funny that for the longest time **** was not filtered but other words referencing the male organ was. well latest patch they started filtering it lol
  • FionaCattail - Sanctuary
    FionaCattail - Sanctuary Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    yes, but it needs to filter whole words, not partials.. I mean you can't say japanese or japan because it comes up as ***anese and ***an.. so, I can't even tell someone that I like Japanese animation and the culture in japan without it filtering my sentence.. I understand that the phrase is derogatory, but the country and cultural reference stated above isn't..

also.. I think that people need to worry more about the ones who try to get around the filters.. by adding .'s or changing letters (like fakk) rather than potential insults to a race.. I mean I would rather be called a stupid guido or a wap than someone telling me to f off.. especially when alot of the time when I'm playing, I have a 4 yr old sitting on my lap watching me kill stuff..

I'm just thankful that she can't read yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We could all learn a lot from crayons, some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names (like chartreuse), and all are different colors....BUT they ALL exist very nicely in the same box!
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    the filters are just stupid
    ppl can still use racial slurs using periods and stuff
    edited March 2009
    the filters are just stupid
    ppl can still use racial slurs using periods and stuff

And then they get hit with bypassing the filter as well. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FionaCattail - Sanctuary
    FionaCattail - Sanctuary Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    if everyone who bypassed the filter got "hit" as you say.. there would be none on sanctuary left to chat in WC..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We could all learn a lot from crayons, some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names (like chartreuse), and all are different colors....BUT they ALL exist very nicely in the same box!
    edited March 2009
    if everyone who bypassed the filter got "hit" as you say.. there would be none on sanctuary left to chat in WC..

If everyone was reported for doing so, you mean, right?

I can bypass the filter all day long, and if no one cares, nothing will happen, most likely. But if someone wants to, they can report me for two violations: inappropriate language and bypassing the language filter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dvorak
    dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    howdy all.

please, let's not use these boards to discuss the limits and parameters of the filtering systems.

keep in mind that 2 independent systems are in place, 1 for the game and 1 for these boards. These filters are also administered by 2 different groups.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
This discussion has been closed.