Whats the best overall class? Looking for Pro opinions on Classes.

clu3
clu3 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
Greetings, im a new to this game, but not mmos. I've played Wow for about 3 or 4 years. Needless to say I quit and after several months I'm looking for a mmo, being a university student I'm more interested in free mmos so I found this one. It looks promising, skill bars, wasd controls for movement and the possiblity for something fun. First off I'd like to say I have experence with all types of gameplay, from kiting, tanking, healing, casters, mele dps, aoeing, and competative pvp. I consider myself a semi-Pro player in both pve and pvp. My main interests are pvp, but I enjoy the phat loot bosses give as well. I take no pref for either.

(Sorry for any semi repeated questions. =D)
I was wondering what class has the most viablitiy for pvp mostly, but able to still do good damage even with pvp stats. From my understanding pvp/pve stats are hugely different and many pure dpsers go for str/magic instead of vit which adds hp and def.

Generaly Im looking for a class that has the ability to beat any other class if played correctly with the stats and skills. EG: I dont wana spec to slay wizards if i can't do **** to BM or Barbs ect...

A class that can do good damage in a raid/group even with pvp stats and skills. Changing armor would be fine, im sure some items might be better for pure dps roles. Much like Hunters in wow useing leather armor just because it had more agi/crit/ap.

A class that pvp in groups as well as solo. I don't want to rely on a healer to do 1v1, and I want to still be viable in a group pvp situation.

A class that is wanted and usefull in pve, in regards of CC,buffs,dps, general support. BASED on a pvp spec.

A class that has no weakness but no major strengths. A class that is immune to the rock paper sissors effect. But is still good for pve. (Do they even exsist? lulzzzz)

Some not class related Questions:

Can you respec skills,stats and other? (EG: redistribute your skill/atribute points)

Are there snares in this game? Slowing effect ect?

Are there stupid bugs that allow people to oneshot people just because they know the correct combo of skills to do a million damage?

If so, what class is that? LOL.

Anyway I guess thats about it. Thank you for reading and thanks for replying in advanced! I'm also setting up a poll, just to see a more vast opinion.
Post edited by clu3 on

Comments

• deathshadow123
    deathshadow123 Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    What you are asking for is an almost-perfect class.
    i can't really give you much information as i am new as well.
    Here are some informations i have learnt by looking at other threads:
    (note: this is is my own opinions and you can disagree or say it sucks)

Archer:
    Pros
    high damage
    high critical chances
    best at pvp at lower levels (30-90)
    killers in TW
    range (if you consider this to be one)

Cons
    quite challenging to level up at lower levels due to their damages are halved at close range
    need to buy ammunition for your weapon
    damge halved when flying
    not so hard to get killed

Blademaster:
    Pros
    medium damage
    high survivability
    do well in pvp when you have axes (stuns stuns stuns=dead enemy)
    easy to level up as you can solo aoe with axes
    your aoe stun is VERY useful in TW

Cons
    very average as you can't tank like barbarian or deal damage like archer or wizard
    close range
    easy to use up mana
    less skills required as you just watch your BM slaching automnaticaly at the mobs

Wizard:
    Pros
    Insane damage
    doesn't reqire god gears to be strong
    very good at TW if nobody are noticing you (so you can give them a black ice dragon strike)

Cons
    get use to be **** by most ppl at lower level pvp
    doesn't truly shines until 90+
    might get one shotted by mobs
    SLOW channeling time (which meant you can only get 2-3 spells off before the mob reach you)

This is the three classes that I can give details of as i don't have much expirence or passion about Clerics, Barbarian or Venomancer. However i can give you some basic knowledge of them:

Clerics:
    healer and supporter
    wanted by most squads
    solo quite well but never as much damge as archer or wizard
    your main job is to support and heal othwise you will be considered as bad Cleric

Venomancer:
    best at soloing as your pet can tank for you
    you can have a pet to attack and tank for you

Barbarian:
    high health
    wanted by squads
    TANK (obviously)

Sorry for the long post but i hope it will help
  • Deathsscion - Sanctuary
    Deathsscion - Sanctuary Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    clu3 wrote: »
    Can you respec skills,stats and other? (EG: redistribute your skill/atribute points)

Are there snares in this game? Slowing effect ect?

Are there stupid bugs that allow people to oneshot people just because they know the correct combo of skills to do a million damage?

If so, what class is that? LOL.

1.you need to buy an item from the cash shop to do that for stats. all skill choices are permenant
    2. yes. Slow, Freeze, and Stun will fit with that. Silence is like stun but you can move.
    3. Flesh ream bug on pets. It is unaffected by the PvP damage reduction
    4. veno

as for classes look on their respective forums for details.
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited March 2009

Clerics:
    healer and supporter
    solo quite well but never as much damge as archer or wizard
    your main job is to support and heal othwise you will be considered as bad Cleric

"will never hit as much damage as an archer or wizard"
    I hit 22k crits whilst an archer hits 10k or so and you say cleric will never hit as high as an archer?

"you main job is to support and heal otherwise you will be consierd as a bad cleric?"

Speak for yourself, anyone who considers a cleric to be a support class is an **** and any cleric that believes clerics are 100% support have been manipulated into being a slave, we are the second best solo class, far out damage an archer as well we have far better survivability.
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • Sylvini - Heavens Tear
    Sylvini - Heavens Tear Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    "The best class" all depends on how you play here.

Archers rule PvP... if you can ge the first hit and avoid being hit yourself.

Mages do mass damage... if you can afford the channeling time.

Everyone wants a cleric... well, yeah, everyone wants them... Oh, they're a bit limited in DDing and soloing, still a nice class.

Barbs have the HP of a god... but don't actually seem to do all that much damage, and have huge repair costs.

Venos can solo like no one else can even dream of soloing... but if you're facing any groups of mobs you have to be careful as hell.

BMs... well, BMs are just kinda average at everything. They're the Jack-Of-All-Trades class, and neither overpowered nor underpowered I think.

As you can see from my portrait I like my veno, but it's by no means the be-all end-all of classes. It takes a lot of multitasking and you really have to be aware of your surroundings (spawn points and spawn times, for example). Yes, we have a pet to tank for us, and that's pure gold, but we'll never do as much damage as any other caster, and that pet's rarely a real replacement for a good tank when it comes to bosses and the like. The Veno class is basically a mini-party all together: we can do everything (except buff our pets) but we don't do any of it great.
  • Smite - Harshlands
    Smite - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I hit 22k crits whilst an archer hits 10k or so and you say cleric will never hit as high as an archer?

"you main job is to support and heal otherwise you will be consierd as a bad cleric?"

Speak for yourself, anyone who considers a cleric to be a support class is an **** and any cleric that believes clerics are 100% support have been manipulated into being a slave, we are the second best solo class, far out damage an archer as well we have far better survivability.

I'm sorry, but I must disagree here.

A lot of people do consider clerics that do not support to be bad. This is not my personal view, but there are a lot.

I also disagree with the second best solo class..

Surely there is more than one factor in a measure of solo-ing? I not only think about raw damage when i think about solo class, but i think about efficiency. To be efficient as a cleric you will use pots, charms stuff like that. Meditating every 20 seconds or so is not efficient. So, as you use more pots and charms, there's less money left for gear and skills. Not what i would call a great solo class. I actually think BM's are better at solo-ing, as while their repair costs are high, they can farm DQ items very easily to offset these. Of course, cant lay a hand on the veno's soloing prowess, but still good at soloing.
  • mokatsu
    mokatsu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    hi just adding to this post, would a veno be wanted to join guilds? or is it even worthy of being a pvp class?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live life without regrets.
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    mokatsu wrote: »
    hi just adding to this post, would a veno be wanted to join guilds? or is it even worthy of being a pvp class?

Properly built and played, yeah venos are well worth taking in to TW. The most common answer you will get is "grab a phoenix and lolpvp" but there's a bit more to it than that. See the veno forums for ideas.
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    Tawarwaith - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    "The best class" all depends on how you play here.

Archers rule PvP... if you can ge the first hit and avoid being hit yourself.

Mages do mass damage... if you can afford the channeling time.

Everyone wants a cleric... well, yeah, everyone wants them... Oh, they're a bit limited in DDing and soloing, still a nice class.

Barbs have the HP of a god... but don't actually seem to do all that much damage, and have huge repair costs.

Venos can solo like no one else can even dream of soloing... but if you're facing any groups of mobs you have to be careful as hell.

BMs... well, BMs are just kinda average at everything. They're the Jack-Of-All-Trades class, and neither overpowered nor underpowered I think.

As you can see from my portrait I like my veno, but it's by no means the be-all end-all of classes. It takes a lot of multitasking and you really have to be aware of your surroundings (spawn points and spawn times, for example). Yes, we have a pet to tank for us, and that's pure gold, but we'll never do as much damage as any other caster, and that pet's rarely a real replacement for a good tank when it comes to bosses and the like. The Veno class is basically a mini-party all together: we can do everything (except buff our pets) but we don't do any of it great.

Totally agree with you b:victory There is no "best class", all have their pros and cons. Everything depends on your personnal preferences, playingstyle, and build you choose.

Btw, nice way to put the pros and cons of the different classes b:victory
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i think you're looking for a BM
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009

Unless your crit% is the same as the Archer's, then the archer will hit those crits more often then you will.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dimiter - Lost City
    Dimiter - Lost City Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I'd say you're looking for a cleric (VIT-based support build).

They have very decent survivability (high HP and great magic defense, as well as a great damage shield, nice buffs for mdef, pdef, not to mention their heals and regeneration buffs) and great damage. What's better is, they have both physical and magical attacks which makes it possible for them to kill every type of mob and players from every class, even though they'll probably take some more time than an archer or a wizard. However, in the unlikely event that they can't kill the mob/player, they can at least survive because of their great HP and other features (plume shell, fast flying, etc.).

As a whole, clerics can be very independent from other classes when it comes to PvE and are also one of the most versatile PvP-classes (not necessarily PK, but PvP because of the survivability). They're also a huge necessity in all sorts of dungeons (FBs, TTs) and are a valuable asset for every guild, especially the VIT-based support clerics.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I'd say you're looking for a cleric (VIT-based support build).

They have very decent survivability (high HP and great magic defense, as well as a great damage shield, nice buffs for mdef, pdef, not to mention their heals and regeneration buffs) and great damage. What's better is, they have both physical and magical attacks which makes it possible for them to kill every type of mob and players from every class, even though they'll probably take some more time than an archer or a wizard. However, in the unlikely event that they can't kill the mob/player, they can at least survive because of their great HP and other features (plume shell, fast flying, etc.).

As a whole, clerics can be very independent from other classes when it comes to PvE and are also one of the most versatile PvP-classes (not necessarily PK, but PvP because of the survivability). They're also a huge necessity in all sorts of dungeons (FBs, TTs) and are a valuable asset for every guild, especially the VIT-based support clerics.

er... clerics have high hp? their hp modifier is quite low..
    especially the VIT based support clerics? please do tell me what a VIT based cleric is needed for until 2-3 belial (aka upper 8x)? best clerics till belial are full int with good +hp gear, possibly a very low amount of vit
  • Dimiter - Lost City
    Dimiter - Lost City Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    The 6 mag, 3 vit, 1 str build for a cleric yields a great hybrid type of character with decent survivability and damage.

Just run a lvl 60 pure magic cleric and lvl 60 vit-based cleric through ecatomb and see how they compare.

Vit Cleric

Vit: 93
    Str: 35
    Int: 182
    Dex: 5

HP: 2110
    MP 4200

Pure Magic Cleric

Vit: 5
    Str: 35
    Int: 270
    Dex: 5

HP: 1230
    MP: 5432

There's a 900 HP difference when comparing two lvl 60 clerics without any equipment. That means, if you put some +HP stuff on them, they should have even more than that, the vit-based cleric could go as far as 2600 HP.

Of course, it's clearly visible that the pure magic cleric has better magic attack and healing power, but with just above 1k HP, he'll be dead before he can put on his plume shell and cast a heal on himself. For PvE purposes, pure magic is better because of the faster mob killing which makes levelling faster (even though you'll sometimes die too much). With a Vit-based cleric, while you won't hit so hard, you'll be able to survive the first hit and actually fight back when you have to. For purely PvP purposes, it's better.

I like both builds but I thought what the OP was asking for was a survivable class that's not dependent on others. I think that's the vit-based cleric.
  • Ju$tiCE - Heavens Tear
    Ju$tiCE - Heavens Tear Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2009

It is true that clerics can out damage an archer but 22k crit? that is unlikely at your level, even with a spark/crit/tempest. Are you a FAC?

Better survivability? in PVE or PVP?

Anyways, I believe all classes are balanced.