Assist Attack

Options
Miznatt - Lost City
Miznatt - Lost City Posts: 32 Arc User
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
[Note: I had posted this on a previous thread on Assisting Attacks, but a mod closed the thread because it was a couple months old and I bumped it. Anyway...]

I am a wizard, and I was helping in an FB51 yesterday and was told by the EP to assist on the barbs attacks; by doing so, I guess I would prevent myself from stealing any aggro. I am notorious for stealing aggro as a wiz since we nuke for such high damage, and I tried this out, most of the time proving the EPs theory correct, but I still did manage to steal the aggro on several occassions.

Is this true that when you "assist" in an attack, you cannot take the aggro? I found it hard to believe. The tank was one level higher than me. I didn't die or anything (Light Armor ) but the EP was like "you didn't assist attack" when I clearly did.

Just something I wanted to clear up for myself and others =).
Post edited by Miznatt - Lost City on

Comments

• Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Assist attack has nothing to do with agro. It just has you attack the same target they are.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Morrigann - Dreamweaver
    Morrigann - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    not true at all, "assist attack" is simply a convenient way of not attacking a target which the tank has not engaged(i.e. avoiding clicking on the wrong mob-it will target the same mob whomever you are assisting has targeted).
    If you hit it harder, it will aggro you no matter what.
  • Keita - Heavens Tear
    Keita - Heavens Tear Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    If you want to make sure you don't take aggro from the tank, then slow down your attacks or use attacks that don't hit as hard on the same target as the tank. Do this when the tank is either very close to your level or below your level.
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    If Assist Attack actually worked the way this cleric suggests, then there would be almost no need of the barb's aggro-keeping skills and even BMs could tank without fear of losing aggro. Since we know that the game does not work that way, I think we can consider this myth busted.
  • Advent_fox - Sanctuary
    Advent_fox - Sanctuary Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    i've always wondered what that darn button did b:chuckle
  • Miznatt - Lost City
    Miznatt - Lost City Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Thanks for all of the quick replies, there should be a topic called Mythbusters b:laugh
  • Tomato - Dreamweaver
    Tomato - Dreamweaver Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    As a cleric, I would usually suggest others to use assist also. Not so they don't steal aggro per se, but so they wouldn't attack mobs that the barb hasn't aggro'd yet, and draw that mob to attack them.
  • unknown862
    unknown862 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    you can also use assist attack to help a 2nd veno target some1's else pet if they have hard time clicking on it...

just basically, it targets watever that person has targeted at the time... can be mobs, players, pets n so on...