Quick Question about Vit vs. Str

Options
Juggernaut - Harshlands
Juggernaut - Harshlands Posts: 597 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Barbarian
So when I started my Barb, I was under the impression that I would be dumping TONS of points on my Vit, so I can build up a huge amount of HP. But while playing, I soon realized that I would have to devote almost 90% of my points to Str (and to a lesser extent Dex) just so I can keep up with the best Axes/Hammers and Heavy Armor.

Is this normal? Do I need to sacrifice equipment for my HP bar? Or is my Vit gain from hitting levels going to be enough to carry me though?

Any help would be great, thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Juggernaut - Harshlands on

Comments

• Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    If you plan on being a tanker barb then yes you are on the right track.
    Following the "enough for weps/armors and rest in vit" rule, you will have roughly 60/30/10 ratio for Str/Vit/Dex.

You can of course add more vit to be an uber tanker, but thats not recommended as it restricts you from using the latest weps and so further reduces an already low damage output. This makes soloing through your quests time consuming and painful.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • lasttemplar
    lasttemplar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Not to mention that most of the skills that boost HP are percent based. Even if it looks like your vit is low with the tanker build, the skills compensate quite nicely for the points youre putting into str (assuming you are leveling them). Youre also getting a certain amount of HP each level, even if you dont put points into vit, and those are also being boosted by the skills

Also note that being a tank is more than just having a ton of HP, but also having a good amount of physical resistance to take less damage from attacks, and since str gives physical resistance, its not like youre wasting points when you pump your str. Physical defense is where most of the other classes find themselves lacking. Pots and heals are also more effective with high physical resistance than it is with high HP. Just to clarify this point:

Skill heals 1000 HP
    Your barb has 5000 hp and the physical resistance reduces damage taken by, say 20% (Skills included)
    Mob hits you for 500 damage. Thats 400 damage with the 20% reduction
    You need a heal every 2 hits

Same skill, heals 1000 HP
    A barb has 2500 hp and the physical resistance reduces damage taken by 40% (skills included)
    Same mob. Hits for 500 damage, but its 300 because of the damage reduction
    You need a heal every 3 hits

This also applies if its pots. Youll spend less with a tanker build than with a high vit build, even if the high vit build does have more HP

In other words, higher HP doesnt always mean better tanker (All these figures are made up, its not literally how the game mechanics work, but its how most damage calculating systems work in MMOs, so Im assuming its also used in PW, or its more or less the same idea at least)

You should also compare yourself to other classes. Im playing a wizard and an archer as well at the moment and, quite honestly, theres no doubt my barb is a tank. My barb has been able to solo almost every quest boss so far just by being 2 or 3 levels higher than the boss. The wizard and the archer probably wont be able to solo those bosses till they are 20 levels higher

So, from the way Im seeing it, even though youre pumping str, its definetly a tank build
  • Devlinne - Lost City
    Devlinne - Lost City Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    In my opinion......Just follow wichever of the builds in the barbarian guide u fancy.

When you get your ENDGAME items(when u about lvl 90+) Then get some reset notes and start playing around with your stats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A GOAT always THINKS it's a lion......untill it meets a REAL LION!!!!!
  • Isolated - Harshlands
    Isolated - Harshlands Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    end game you'll end up being vit str fails at higher lvls an only good for a short periodb:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lasttemplar
    lasttemplar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    end game you'll end up being vit str fails at higher lvls an only good for a short periodb:cute

Following the tanker build, youll have a nice amount of vit by the endgame. Also, after a certain point, the actual purpose of adding str is really just for using high level armor and weapons you really dont want to go without. Even if physical defense doesnt make you all warm inside, you still need to pump str to be a successful tank

Its true that physical resistance loses some effect in later levels because the damage reduction percent increases at a slower rate. But I think the OP doesnt have much to worry about endgame just yet, really