Help the n00b plx

Options
Aurian - Harshlands
Aurian - Harshlands Posts: 538 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Blademaster
Hi, i started in the new pvp server and i choosed axes.
In lynduras Guide it says every lvl i should put 3 strgh 1 dex and the remaning either dex or vit, i choosed vit.

But now i have a question. If i build it like a barb, stregh and dex for weapon all other points vit would that be a failure?

Got owned 11 times today by mobs.. (trying to get used to low hp) and i was like wtf? they dont miss? so why so much dex?

Help me out please.. iam really a noobb:surrenderb:cry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Aurian - Harshlands on

Comments

• True - Harshlands
    True - Harshlands Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Hi, i started in the new pvp server and i choosed axes.
    In lynduras Guide it says every lvl i should put 3 strgh 1 dex and the remaning either dex or vit, i choosed vit.

But now i have a question. If i build it like a barb, stregh and dex for weapon all other points vit would that be a failure?

Got owned 11 times today by mobs.. (trying to get used to low hp) and i was like wtf? they dont miss? so why so much dex?

Help me out please.. iam really a noobb:surrenderb:cry

you need at least 3 strength per level to wield heavy armor, and as an axe BM you will definitely want heavy armor, so there's not really another option as to how to build it. The dex is more for your own accuracy than for evasion, although in PvP (you are on the pvp server) dex has a lot more value than against mobs.
  • Majorwedgie - Harshlands
    Majorwedgie - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    you need at least 3 strength per level to wield heavy armor, and as an axe BM you will definitely want heavy armor, so there's not really another option as to how to build it. The dex is more for your own accuracy than for evasion, although in PvP (you are on the pvp server) dex has a lot more value than against mobs.

Sorry True, but you need 2.5 STR per level to use heavy armor. But you do need 3 STR per level to wield your axes.

Now, on the matter of enemies missing you with higher dex, NOT TRUE! The amount of dex does indeed increase your evasion, but .... evasion does not effect the ratio of which a mob will miss you. In other words, no matter how much evasion you have, mobs will always have the same chance to hit you.

Now, the reason people on the PvP servers choose dex over vit is so they can hit and or evade the other players. That is basically the only reason for dex builds. However, high crits play a major role when PvPing so the extra dex for PvP builds is a must for anyone playing on a PvP server.

To solve your vit problem however, most players cap their vit at around 50 or so. I recommend 55 because if you decide to restat later on, you can drop your vit back to bare minimum with only 1 restat scroll. Now, before you go and restat, make sure you have awesome gear with plenty of HP Stones. I'd also recommend refining your gear to pump your health up that way as well. Whatever you do tho, try to reach a minimum of 8k health unbuffed at level 90+ before you restat to 5 vit (if that's what you want to do)
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    try to reach a minimum of 8k health unbuffed at level 90+ before you restat to 5 vit (if that's what you want to do)

Do some players at level 90 keep their vit at 5?
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Now, on the matter of enemies missing you with higher dex, NOT TRUE!

Now, the reason people on the PvP servers choose dex over vit is so they can hit and or evade the other players. That is basically the only reason for dex builds.

although wrong about the requirement for heavy armor, if you read what True wrote carefully, she was talking about PvP in regards to the dex, saying that it has value in PvP and not against mobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Now, on the matter of enemies missing you with higher dex, NOT TRUE! The amount of dex does indeed increase your evasion, but .... evasion does not effect the ratio of which a mob will miss you. In other words, no matter how much evasion you have, mobs will always have the same chance to hit you.

I did not know that. I thought they would miss me more.

So, evasion is only for PVP?
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    the way i see it for BM class Dex is not so much to make mobs miss you but to make you not to miss mobs.

My main has sword path which is 2nd high dex requirement after fists. That also means swords already have high dex requirement no matter whether I want to put points to dex or not. when fighting a mob equivalent to me I usually miss once or twice. When I wear a dex+ items (which I do) or put more points into dex after LV-up I'll manage to sometimes go through whole fight without single miss. But as well as i may enjoy accurate hits I hear axes put up more damage...when they manage to hit, so overall their massive smashes should make up the missed strikes

The bottom line is: observe yourself during fights. are your miss rate 1-2 per fight? or is it starting to happen annoyingly often? If so- time to put more points to the dex and meanwhile get a hold of dex+ item such a ring or belt to ease the frustration of fighting with air till you actually get the chance to Lv and put some points where needed. Getting hit more often or less often is not a liable indicator. you fight mobs with different builds and some mobs are more agile than others like bow wielding ones. it's your ability to make damage that counts.