Question on pet debuff skills

Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
Tawarwaith - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Venomancer
I was wondering if the pet debuff skills (pierce, howl, threaten) grab aggro when used.
The situation I have in mind is the following:
In an fb or on a boss, usually bash or other aggro skills should be turned of, so as not to steal aggro from the main tank. Would it be a good idea for the veno to put the auto-cast on threaten/pierce in this case? This could help the tank, but only if it doesn't rival with his/her aggro.

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance for the answers.
Post edited by Tawarwaith - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Naku - Lost City
    Naku - Lost City Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    howl is an aggro grab skills, but if the barb thats tanking for you in fb or boss can't get more aggro than your pet then maybe he is too low lvl or just really bad at tanking..... gives your tank a 10 sec aggro time before you send in your pet also helps alot too. however in TT you want your pet to just do normal attack because the pet's damage does not decrease like everyone else.
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    howl is an aggro grab skills, but if the barb thats tanking for you in fb or boss can't get more aggro than your pet then maybe he is too low lvl or just really bad at tanking..... gives your tank a 10 sec aggro time before you send in your pet also helps alot too. however in TT you want your pet to just do normal attack because the pet's damage does not decrease like everyone else.

Howl is not an aggro grab skill.
    You're thinking of roar.
    You can use the pet debuffs if you want, and they don't pull aggro. Even better is if your tank is a herc with bash, you can go all out dps with your pet and probably won't pull aggro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    You can use the pet debuffs if you want, and they don't pull aggro. Even better is if your tank is a herc with bash, you can go all out dps with your pet and probably won't pull aggro.

Thanks for the info. I have a little foxveno, that I would like to make a kind of debuffer. I thought it could help, adding 3 extra debuff skills on my pet. But I don't want to invest in this (750k each) if it can't be used, or would bother the tank (wether it's a barb, BM or herc).
    I guess I can start saving now b:laugh
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    For squads I have a scorp with Bash, Flesh Ream, Howl and Threaten. As for not pulling aggro, it's mostly only an issue in TT where pets do full dmg but PC's do only 25%. To circumvent this, you can dismiss and resummon your pet periodically to wipe it's threat.

*Edit*
    I don't use Pierce because I keep Ironwood Scarab up full-time. Yes Pierce has as slightly higher reduction, but it is also on a 30 second cooldown meaning it can only be up half the time.
  • Vidalaire - Heavens Tear
    Vidalaire - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I use a Lunar Lupin in TT squad runs to lure and for its magic debuff. It comes with a level 5 Howl so it's very useful. Weird thing is, my Lupin tends to take aggro and die during boss battles. I always auto-cast Howl and yet it still grabs aggro. My Golem almost never grabs aggro/dies in boss battles and it has twice the attack power of the Lupin.
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    For squads I have a scorp with Bash, Flesh Ream, Howl and Threaten. As for not pulling aggro, it's mostly only an issue in TT where pets do full dmg but PC's do only 25%. To circumvent this, you can dismiss and resummon your pet periodically to wipe it's threat.

*Edit*
    I don't use Pierce because I keep Ironwood Scarab up full-time. Yes Pierce has as slightly higher reduction, but it is also on a 30 second cooldown meaning it can only be up half the time.

I use pierce all the time because I go foxbuild from the beginning, so I don't even have Ironwood Scarab.

My main pet at the moment is the tauroc I caught at lvl7, so it has bash and pierce. I was thinking of teaching it threaten, and later on howl. I also kept the scorpion, but I'm afraid it's to fragile when on a boss with aoe attacks, and it's a bit hard to lvl right now because it needs a lot of healing. I think the tauroc is a nice mix between attack and def. I can do all my grinding/quests with it (pierce also benefits my own attacks), and only need some help on bosses.

The main idea is to create some kind of partybased/supportive veno. I noticed that some of the foxes skills can be very usefull in a party. Especially fox wallop + alacrity of the beast. I started this veno as an experiment, and I'm just going to see how it turns out.

Any comments and tips are welcome.