How in the HECK can you make money by making armor?

damani
damani Posts: 105 Arc User
edited March 2009 in The Crafting Nook
@ lvl 7x, it costs me roughly 50-60k in mats to make one piece.

I made ten for 600k, and the avg auction value ranged from 0-15k for 8 of them, 23k for the other, and 40k for my 3*.

I obv was trying to make something for myself, but lost 500k of the 600k and ended up with nothing useable.

Which leads me to ask, how are people "making money off making armor?"

Seems to me just selling the mats is the best way to go.

That or just buying TT armor for 500-600k and saving the trouble :P
Post edited by damani on

Comments

• Old_one - Lost City
    Old_one - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    They make money from it by finding the mats(so they dont cost) and selling to players/auctioning them for more than mats are worth.
  • damani
    edited February 2009
    Sorry, I think you missed my point completely.

What I'm saying is, why make the armor which will sell for 15k-25k usually, when you can just sell the mats for 60k?
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I just make enough to level the skill and hope for something decent to sell. After that I just sell the mats. I don't think there really is a decent way of making money off regular crafting, not without involving a lot of luck. I guess if you make a ton and get some -channeling gear you may be able to see a profit, just depends on how much you have to make to get there.
  • Samsamsimply - Heavens Tear
    Samsamsimply - Heavens Tear Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Your not gonna strick it rich selling Armour unfortunately, your better just selling your rejects and only worry about making your gear or you and your friends gear, very seldom are you gonna make a piece that will make you money that you don't want for yourself.

At least that is what I have found
  • damani
    edited February 2009
    I dont even think making your own armor is a good idea.

I used 1.2 million to make 20 Serendipitous Leggings (lvl 73 light legs) and all 20 were worse than my lvl 63 light leggings.

Lost 800k on the resale, will obv. not be attempting again.

Regretting not just buying TT/Legendary and saving the grief.

Also why does every piece normal mobs drop suck?
  • tc2r
    tc2r Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    How you ask? well in the time it takes me to write this post I could have increased my pockets by 300k o.O.

very quickly if you know how to do it right, It can be done... but the more that know the secret, the less profitable it becomes ^.^. However it can be done.
  • Lytewish - Sanctuary
    Lytewish - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    blacksmithing is brutal expensive. Anyone that is a level 4 BS can tell you that dooing the training quest for level 4 is ridiculously expensive....to the point where I am thinking about stopping Blacksmithing because of the costs involved. Costs are not equal to the reward in BSing and I honestly think the devs need to work on this a bit.
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    they prolly make it very costly to keep equipment prices up. if ppl can make equipment for cheap the sheer availability of player-made equipment would decrease the street value of equipment and the game would lose a coin sink.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    My opinion on this is that you need clients and/or friends.

I have a friend she makes the weapons for me. I get the mats and she makes the weapons for free. I give her more mats than the weapon requires to make sure she can make enough weapons to level up. I also return the weapons to her after I'm done (I try to be a good client/friend, lol)

My opinion with armors (at my low level, I ignore later) is that you can get them from drops for free. Weapons are really different since you need specic weapons based on your build. I mean if you are sword BM and you get axes from drops, that might not mean much. However, armor for BM will most likely be always good as it's not based on your weapon path.

I use dual sword/blades and I have never gotten one from drops. However, I always get my armor from drops.

My friend also has low lever characters to get mats she needs too.
  • Atashimajin - Sanctuary
    Atashimajin - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    >.> that makes me seem like i do most teh work :O but agh...it's just i hold on to that dream i might make a 3 star (i only made 1 and it was a lvl 31 wand xD) but for lvl 4 BS people on Auction over price the weapons a lot >.< *400k each when the 3 star versionss are only 200-300k =/ *
  • Xenaaah - Heavens Tear
    Xenaaah - Heavens Tear Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I'm a lvl 3 crafter in both armor and weapons and alot of my stuff sells. Usually lower lvl and 2 star gear that I make sells for me. If I make something that has empty sockets no one buys but if I put something in the sockets it goes! People love extra stats in their gear in PWI.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    There is absolutely no point in making armor or weapons to use. Like all other games where it takes zero effort to craft a piece, the price of the materials are more than the price of the finished object.

The exceptions to this (in other games) are craftings that are on a timer. Without the timer theres unlimited supply of "crafting", ie the only limiting facgtor is the mats, therefor the crafting part of it becomes worthless.

Getting back to Perfect World, the entire point of crafting is to be able to craft the high end TT and Molds. Again, theres no money in it, because too many people already have the skills, but its nice to be able to craft armor for your guild instead of having to ask friends outside guild.

Want a game where crafting is a good moneymaker? Easy, just make the crafting take time (and not logged off time). Lineage2 had an interesting idea, where you needed to make zillions of subcomponents for high end equipment, and each time cost you a chunk of mana which needed to be regenerated. So making a good sword could take an hour or more. Not sure if it ever worked thou, as I never played on the official servers, just the private ones which had no economy.
  • Prof - Harshlands
    Prof - Harshlands Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    blacksmith is for making 1 item, as compared to tailoring which is for making multiple items for 1 set of armor. i figure that they make weapons harder to make because it's 1 solid piece, whereas in tailor you need a lot of materials to make 1 set.
  • Methuseleh - Lost City
    Methuseleh - Lost City Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    U make money off crafting by buying the molds, crafting them, then selling them. or make HH gear and sell it. ur not gonna make money while u build it up. Thats gonna cost money. But after uve built it up u should be able to buy molds and craft them. i bought a wheel of fate mold for 800k and crafted it for my wife. but i couldve easily sold for 1.2 mil or more. all my crafting skills are level 5 rite now and i think its worth building them up. Just get the mats b4 u need them. But like the above poster said its kinda played out since everyone is tryna make money that same way. Altho sometimes u get lucky. Keep checkin the ah.

(and wheel of fate only requires lvl 3 blacksmith)

as for the level 4 crafting quests i suggest crafting some of the easier ones urself. really not that hard to get a 2 star and it only adds to ur crafting exp to reach the next lvl.i crafted all the 2 star items myself b4 reaching the 100% mark, to reach lvl 4 for all professions.
  • xxxdsmer
    xxxdsmer Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    the reason it costs way too floggin much to make something (unless you have all the materials from mob drops / pickaxed already) is because the economy in this game is way too floggin overinflated. people wanting 2000-3500 for a piece of grease, and it gets worse for purified oil, silk thread, etc.

and its the same for everything in the game. people want way too mcuh coin for the things it takes to make things. us crafters already have to spend a ton of SP and coin to get the levels to make the things, then ppl wanting outrageous prices for materials they obviously arent going to use? (like if i were to buy JUST the grease to make a lv19 refined sword, it'd cost 25,000-30,000)

the problem lies in everyone thinking things are worth way more than they really are. (examples 3500-5000+ for purified oil, 3000-8000+ for hay, 2500-3000+ for grease)
    i'm pro all classes, and against none in particular..
    but the age old QQ about venos is just that. OLD.
    QQ'd about a nix lately? check out this thread n tell me who's "OP" lol..
    (copy and paste this to address bar):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=102172
  • Mamiko_mao - Sanctuary
    Mamiko_mao - Sanctuary Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I generally just make equipment for myself, and anyone who needs them and gives me the materials. I find that blacksmithing is more useful, since unless you get really lucky at the AH or monster drops, player-crafted weapons have a better chance of carrying good stats.