Archer damage halved at close range. WTF?

Options
Aluarn - Lost City
Aluarn - Lost City Posts: 36 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Archer
Surely damage would only be increased at close range as the shot would not have slowed down as much, it would be point blanc range...
I refuse to make a creative signature.
Post edited by Aluarn - Lost City on

Comments

• Kishanhood - Heavens Tear
    Kishanhood - Heavens Tear Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    well yeah you are right in a way...but think about it...if you have someone chopping at you with a sword or putting a spell on you, would you be able to aim as well as you would from a long distance?
  • Aluarn - Lost City
    Aluarn - Lost City Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    i wouldnt aim as well, but they'wd be closer, so i wouldnt need to...
    I refuse to make a creative signature.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Can you fly on animals or swords in reality?
    Nope.

Its a game.

But, its actually smart, this means IF a Blademaster does get you, he'll have actually a chance to defeat you.

I mean besides once you get to 20, you won't be attacking alone pretty much, so you'll be doing 100% dmg.
    edited February 2009
    Options
    yeah...its just a game at the end of the day.
    What do you mean by - 'you won't be attacking alone'?
  • Reversal - Lost City
    Reversal - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    FBs - WBs tank

So you have full range

and I don't know about you, but when I play, I normally group with a BM or WB so they take the DMG and I don't have to waste my Potions :)
    edited February 2009
    Options
    what is a wb and fb? :S
  • Lcewolf - Lost City
    Lcewolf - Lost City Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    what is a wb and fb? :S

WB=WereBeast=Barbarian=Tank

FB=Fuben=Dungeon
    Lvl 16 Barbarian-Sacrifice
    Lvl 31 Venomancer-Waffles

I'm going to join Dreamweaver and see how it goes!

RETIRED... Ask MagicZ
  • StellarAshes - Heavens Tear
    StellarAshes - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    What's even more ridiculous is that you can have the highest accuracy in the game, use 5 seconds to aim at something (level 1 take aim), and still miss. Or miss something right in front of you, or a level 1 non-moving mob.

Honestly there's not much you can do, but as you get higher you'll get more skills that do full damage at close range (all the metal skills + 2 melee skills you get later on).
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    i think its pretty bad from a purely pve perspective. archers already have a pretty tough time with mobs in the early lvls, i mean just go near bamboo village and watch the little clerics fight as opposed to the little archers. when a melee mob gets close, it would help a lot if i didnt have to lightning/wing spam wich costs horrific amounts of mana.

it'd be nice if its 2/3 or even full dmg against mobs at melee while retaining 1/2 against players in pvp. or maybe archers can just take an arrow and stab his opponent at melee like legolas does in lotr lol
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    what is a ... fb? :S

I like this explanation: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=169701&postcount=4

Does anyone know differently?

For range, in early levels, you can create a combo with take aim and quick shot and you can kite (where you shoot and then run and then shoot and then run and so on...). Make sure you hold down your move key before quickshot completes or you will not kite properly. Later on, you get frost arrow and other skills and this gets easier.
    edited March 2009
    Options
    i hate kiting...i just use lightening strike...and if that dont kill em i knockback again!
  • Zoodie - Lost City
    Zoodie - Lost City Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    An arrows damage is created mostly by it's velocity. If you're close enough to a person it's better to just pull the arrow out of your quiver and try to stab them with it.

So a little bit of reality for our dream world.
  • Dusk - Lost City
    Dusk - Lost City Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    An arrows damage is created mostly by it's velocity. If you're close enough to a person it's better to just pull the arrow out of your quiver and try to stab them with it.

ow. i'm glad archers don't have a melee skill that stabs people to death b:shocked
    ☺☻
  • hysteriumx
    hysteriumx Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

No. The velocity of an object decreases as distance increases. Therefore, more distance = less velocity = less penetration = less damage = PW is opposite to RL.

Anyway, 50% dmg is never a problem, just FA Arrow and normal shot with Kb arrow if the mobs get too close (or grind with a tank -.-) and you won't have that problem.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Is it annoying at low levels when you can't kill stuff before it gets near you? Yes.

Is it annoying at low levels when some random melee mobs spawns right under you and knockback's on cooldown or you're low on chi can't can't frost + run or you die before you can fly away? Yes.

Is it balanced because at higher levels, you'll be able to laugh at mobs as you deal such insane damage that you wind up having to purposefully hold back on tougher monsters so you don't steal aggro from your barb unless they're very good at their job? Yes.
  • StellarAshes - Heavens Tear
    StellarAshes - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    Is it annoying at low levels when you can't kill stuff before it gets near you? Yes.

Is it annoying at low levels when some random melee mobs spawns right under you and knockback's on cooldown or you're low on chi can't can't frost + run or you die before you can fly away? Yes.

Is it balanced because at higher levels, you'll be able to laugh at mobs as you deal such insane damage that you wind up having to purposefully hold back on tougher monsters so you don't steal aggro from your barb unless they're very good at their job? Yes.

Is it sweet that you can kill mobs your level without getting hit at higher levels? Yes.

Is it sweet that you hardly have to use any potions to grind? Yes.

Is it sweet to 1-2 shot robe users? Yes.

Pros and cons of a class, I guess.

Also, the only thing about archers that annoys the **** out of me is miss. It's not that rare to miss some important skill (knockback, aim low, stun), and it's really annoying. And sometimes when you get down to the last hit on an enemy, you miss 3 times in a row and end up getting hit 1-2 times.
  • p3nnstate
    p3nnstate Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Ok velocity of an object does NOT decrease as distance increases. There is a term called acceleration. Can't make such a general term.

This could get so much more complicated but I just had to say that much at least. The inner engineering geek inside of me had to say something lol

O and this is a game as of course all of you know. Making damg half of normal damg at close range makes my life a lot more interesting.
    Let me heat you up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hysteriumx
    edited March 2009
    Options
    p3nnstate wrote: »
    Ok velocity of an object does NOT decrease as distance increases. There is a term called acceleration. Can't make such a general term.

This could get so much more complicated but I just had to say that much at least. The inner engineering geek inside of me had to say something lol

O and this is a game as of course all of you know. Making damg half of normal damg at close range makes my life a lot more interesting.

Yes, it does. If velocity didn't decrease as distance increased, arrows IRL would fly forever. I'm not talking about acceleration, I'm talking VELOCITY. If something didn't lose speed as distance increased, it would fly forever. I'm speaking of PROJECTILES, not GROUND objects. Don't generalize, as you so stated. An arrow does not fly forever when shot from a bow IRL because it LOSES VELOCITY. It does NOT speed up (or accelerate) in the air as the distance it has travelled increases.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Options
    If you shot an arrow (in real life), your arrow would be accelerating during launch, and might lose a tiny bit of velocity when it pulled off your bow string. And then friction (air resistance) would slow it down slightly, with range.

However, I do not know how to make lightning strike with arrows, nor do I know how to hold 10,000 arrows, nor do I know how to make my arrows track someone when they were running running or and I do not know how I could shoot arrows through walls. But I think I might be able to shoot one 50 meters? But I do not think I could shoot very accurately and I would especially be having problems if someone hitted me with pyrogram.
  • hysteriumx
    edited March 2009
    Options
    If you shot an arrow (in real life), your arrow would be accelerating during launch, and might lose a tiny bit of velocity when it pulled off your bow string. And then friction (air resistance) would slow it down slightly, with range.

@" I'm not sure if you were agreeing with me, or arguing so I just decided to post anyway lol =x.
  • mickeydog
    mickeydog Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I think you guys are getting things mixed up. An arrow shot has no acceleration force on it except for gravity and air resistance. Air resistance is almost negligible for an arrow because gravity will almost always bring the arrow to the ground before air resistance starts having a noticeable effect. Either way, there is no physical explanation for why an arrow does half damage within a 5 meter radius. Maybe because the archer is tense and can't draw the bow back fully?
    Citadel: New Faction on the Harshlands: Now Recruiting! b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ citadel.forummotion.com ]
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Options
    hysteriumx wrote: »
    @" I'm not sure if you were agreeing with me, or arguing so I just decided to post anyway lol =x.

I was agreeing with you! And, I was agreeing with several other people.

b:pleased

mickeydog wrote: »
    An arrow shot has no acceleration force on it except for gravity and air resistance.

But if arrows did not accelerate, they would just stay in your bow?

Of course, in real life, this particular issue does not matter once your arrow has gone forward from your bow string's resting position. But maybe in Pan Gu's world some magic continues to accelerate them for a short distance? Or maybe "where you hit" matters? Or...

Does anyone (besides me) feel silly talking about this issue?
  • hysteriumx
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I think you guys are getting things mixed up. An arrow shot has no acceleration force on it except for gravity and air resistance. Air resistance is almost negligible for an arrow because gravity will almost always bring the arrow to the ground before air resistance starts having a noticeable effect. Either way, there is no physical explanation for why an arrow does half damage within a 5 meter radius. Maybe because the archer is tense and can't draw the bow back fully?

My point, again. I was never talking about acceleration in the first place. I was simply making a comment about "a little bit of reality in perfect world" when, in actuality, an arrow would do far less damage over a greater distance because of a lack of penetration due to a decrease in speed. /no more explaining this for me.

@ topic, who cares if it does 1/2 dmg within 5m. Just use Kb arrow if they get too close, and then there you go, full damage.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Not like the first 40 levels in this game are hard at all anyway. Besides, once you get your trial crossbow at 20 you'll be killing stuff before it reaches you if you know what you're doing. It doesn't even require much effort.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    This might not be strictly relevant... and realism has no place in a game..

But who's played that most recent Oblivion game as an archer? Daaaamn.. it most certainly does not get easier to hit things once they're up close and killing you. Specially when you stagger under their hits.

Erm... more to the point though.. realism has no place in MMOs. They're be pretty crappy games if they were based around realism.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
    edited March 2009
    Options
    fuzzles wrote: »
    .. realism has no place in MMOs. They're be pretty crappy games if they were based around realism.

exactly ... =D
  • Remorce - Heavens Tear
    Remorce - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    God shut up about the arrow velocity ****! I went out to my back yard stood in front of my foam target shot of an arrow and it didn't fully leave the bow. i.e. Distance = better When your up close your arrow is like stabbing somebody. Games right, your wrong.
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    your arrow didn't leave the bow, so that must be 5 meters which is the in game minimum effective range for the bow right?
  • p3nnstate
    p3nnstate Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

Um has no acceleration? Are you going to make me draw you a Free Body Diagram of the tension within the bow to the arrow? You are right with the air resistance though, not fast enough...value is to small.

Also if there was no acceleration, why could you shoot the arrow, put your hand about 1cm away and not have it go through your hand. Velocity of an arrow or any object negating all forces but gravity is a freaking parabola. Don't tell me acceleration does not exist, its derived from velocity. Also, acceleration is not a "Force." But yes gravity is.

As for the 5m thing, it should be more like <1m then it would make sense. But yes it is a game. But YES i also enjoy arguing Dynamics.
    Let me heat you up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mzmorbid
    mzmorbid Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    the target has to be in range duh..or the velocity/acceleration thing goes out the window ;p