Vista 64bit... Anyone know how to play on this OS?

Oooolala - Sanctuary
Oooolala - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Support Desk
I bought a gaming PC just about a month ago. My old PC ran too slow for PWI and would stall/freeze, and now with my new PC, I can't even play at all.
I have tried nearly 30 different download and install approaches, yet after all updates have finished, I click START and the screen flashes Black in an instant and then the game shuts off and I'm back to my Desktop screen.

I have been working with TECH-Support for a while and they said to try here and see if anyone else has Vista 64bit.

If you HAVE and USE Vista 64bit on the SAME pc that you play PWI, please let me know if there is any hope for me!
Post edited by Oooolala - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Oooolala - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    if anyone has Vista 64bit I would be ever so greatful if you could advise me on how to run the game. After nearly 30 tries I have had NO success.

Only Vista64bit users PLEASE, unless your just insanely good with computers and have the right solution.

I can't take many more failed attemps.

Tech support offered Lot's of advice, yet they don't have a PC with Vista 64bit in which to try, so they sent me Forum hopping and I PRAY you can help.
  • Amethystsnow - Sanctuary
    Amethystsnow - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I use Vista 64 bit.

First check to make sure you've installed all the updates for your comp.

This includes but is not limited to: drivers, security updates, and any updates to your anti virus.

Also check to make sure your anti virus is not interfering.

Also Vista has an annoying (but damn useful) feature that prevents you from running things as admin even if you're logged in as one. Right click PWI and look through the menu to find "run as admin"
    This way, everytime you start it up, it should ask you if it's okay to run it.

Lemme know if anything else
  • Oooolala - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    I bought new pc avter having already falling in love with PWI and now I'm unable to play on my new OS Vista 64bit...
    Tech support has not had any success. They have no PC with Vista 64bit in which to trouble shoot and have given a valiant yet futial effort to this point and at nearly 30 dif downloads and install steps, I'm still gameless.

Only Vista 64bit users plz

I can't handle any more speculation.. I'm hoping for a real solution.
    TY
  • Oooolala - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    If you have Vista 64bit and play PWI on it PLZ help me find a solution.

I have tried nearly 30 different download and install attemps, all of which have led to the same disaster. Tech support has given a valiant but futial effort in their quest to solve my problem and sent me Forum Hopping.

They did not have a PC with vista64bit in which to do more trouble shooting and suggested that maybe, just maybe there is someone... maybe that has the same OS and plays PWI.

If that is you MAYBE you have the solution I am after! TY and I look forward to hearing from you!
  • Mainachan - Sanctuary
    Mainachan - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    This should have gone to the tech section, hopefully will get moved there, you'll find more help. If I can I'll try to help. I play on a vista 64bit, but my game installed and has been running fine, never any problems.

I will try to help, so what seems to be the problem? Install, starting or other?

Maina
    "The present moment is a powerful goddess" -Goethe
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Moved to tech support.
    The 64bit issues are actually being discussed right now. I don't have one myself so I can't really help you, but I think gattsuru does.
    Edit: Also, don't spam the forums by making multiple threads.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I know your emails, and yes, we have tried many different things to try and get his system to run PWI.

Community help is more then welcome b:victory
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Has enabling the real Adminstrator account been tried yet? If not: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67567-administrator-account.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mikoz - Sanctuary
    Mikoz - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Step one on purchasing a new computer is to format it. I would find some Vista x64 media and install fresh from a new install. I am personally 99.99% sure this will resolve your problem. If you do not have access to the media, you can borrow someone elses as the windows license is tied to the computer and not the CD. If you cannot find that, send me a PM and I can probably help you sort out a way to get one.

This game to my knowledge has zero problems with Vista/XP64 as I run them and it worked with no changes myself.
  • EP_DarkSol - Lost City
    EP_DarkSol - Lost City Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    The above post may indeed solve the problem. I had the same issue with a copy of Halo 2 Vista, which until I re-installed, would. not. work. I updated graphics, the whole nine yards.

Also, isn't the Activation Key the same for 32 and 64 bit? If you have a 32-bit media to re-install from... It'll make your life a LOT easier.
  • sittya
    sittya Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    so is it really true that you can't play PWI on vista 64bit
    plz tell me this is not true and ppl just got to fix some problem
    i just dl it and didn't check if it compatible with 64 at all
    i hope Mikoz is right
  • Kareenz - Heavens Tear
    Kareenz - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I am using only vista 64 bit for last 2 years..
    Vista is not user friendly and have lots of bugs.. Thats why microsoft hurrying up for windows 7 release..

If you have a good technical knowledge then u can easily solve any issue..

Main reason for most program not work on vista is UAC(User Access Control)..
    You will have to right click on executable file and select option "Run as Administrator"..

If it didn't work out then try disabling UAC..
    Check this link http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

I have disabled UAC long ago.. After disabling UAC, all programs will work like in xp..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sittya
    edited February 2009
    cool then i just need to diable UAC haha
    i try one online game b4 and they said to disable this UAC too so i guess this is the main part just my opinion though i'll see what happen
  • jordsaus
    jordsaus Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    If you haven't you might want to get the Vista x64 Service Pack 1 for it.

It might work then.

(Yes I am using it and PWI works perfectly normal)
  • Mikoz - Sanctuary
    Mikoz - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Windows 7 IS Vista SP2, and these bugs you speak of, are not the fault of Microsofts.

There is no issues with PWI in Vista x64.
  • sittya
    edited March 2009
    same to me
    m using vista 64bit SP1 and it works perfectly cool
    haha
    just played it
    though try disable the UAC m not sure if this might solve the prob
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Windows 7 IS Vista SP2, and these bugs you speak of, are not the fault of Microsofts.

That's not exactly true. Windows 7 is a new core for the Vista interface. But yeah, the difference isn't really all that huge.

There is no issues with PWI in Vista x64.

I'm running Vista x64 Ultimate and have no problems.

Make sure you have a video card capable of playing PWI and make sure you are running the latest drivers.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • jinah
    jinah Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I am running Vista 64-bit and it is working fine without any problems, except for the Login Server is offline?

I cant seem to patch my client through the auto-patcher. Or is the server just down because of the mass problems?

T_T I am really close to getting my bank to do a chargeback from Perfect World Entertainment for all of my transactions. I wouldn't mind switching to another MMO and getting back $300 since I am not satisfied at all.
  • ovidiu1
    ovidiu1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Hi Yesterday I trasferit on one account to another clothing item value year by several million and I gave Postbox delete believing he antoarce anapoi to other carcater please miletrimeteti anapoi carecaterul of which I sent Loredeana is sent to and I will King_Wolff Please miletrimetetii Thanks much. and when I took this about DV have a game on an ideie Baby snowhare its inventor to make a collect itemele and coins would be a good ideie and easier for the player will Thanks
  • moargan
    moargan Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I haven't tried it on Vista yet, but PWI runs perfectly on the Windows 7 Beta (64-bit). I'm pretty sure Vista 64's 32-bit Emulation works just fine, so I assume it's something like a driver problem. I actually did have this problem with another game though, and discovered running it in XP Service Pack 2 emulation mode, as an administrator, solved the problem.

Edit: I just remembered, I actually had to reinstall the above mentioned game, and run the installer in XP Service Pack 2 emulation mode as well.

If you've already tried that, the only thing I can say is to do as mentioned above, and perform a fresh install of your operating system (after saving your personal files of course).
  • akibaby
    akibaby Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Your replies to people trying to help you were very rude. i -am- a vista user and i've had no issues with the game at all. but if i did one of my good friends, who puts together computers for a living!, suggested all the same things that all these very nice people have been very nicely explaining to you. you should listen to them
  • Ravien - Heavens Tear
    Ravien - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    With purchasing a new computer you shouldn't have to format to begin with unless by some random anomally a few of the drivers are corrupted or missing. Which could happen after using the same installation CD over the years to install the OS, but not very often. Try updating all of your drivers...Video, Direct X, anything related to the OS.
    Do you get any kind of error or does the game just crash to desktop without any notification? If nothing then try clicking
    Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer
    Open the game like you would normally and let it crash like it has been doing.
    Refresh the Event Viewer and check for any recent warnings/errors/criticals and post them here if you could.

As for Karrenz,
    I wouldn't recommend disabling the UAC..-_- being Microsoft Vista Certified you have basically left yourself extremely vulnerable if someone can get through the firewall or if you leave your computer running they can severely mess things up for you causing more problems. Just my 2 cents in the matter.

the way around this is to right click on the shortcut, click Properties > Compatability tab, and check the box "Run this program as an administrator". That should fix that.
  • LhRag - Sanctuary
    LhRag - Sanctuary Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i run vista ultimate x64 SP1 with Geforce 9600GT, no problem watsoever 0.0
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I installed Vista 64 and PWI ran fine first time. Only complaint is that the frame rate was about 20% slower than XP, so I've gone back (forward?) to XP64, and it also runs fine on that. Never had a problem.

There is nothing you have to do to get it working on Vista64. You've obviously got something wrong with your install.

All I can suggest is loading the most recent drivers for your graphics card, load the most recent version of directx, and run all the latest patches from windowsupdate.microsoft.com
This discussion has been closed.