Sharpened Tooth Arrow (lower mob max HP)

Agentzero - Lost City
Agentzero - Lost City Posts: 199 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Archer
OK I have a lot of people with different views on this subject.

I have searched around other versions of PW and I have came up with 1 answer.

Say boss has 20,000/20,000 HP when you first encounter him. After you cast the initial Sharptooth skill (lowers max HP by 10%), the boss HP then becomes 18,000/18,000 a reduction of 2000 (10%) in max HP.

After 30 seconds, the spell disappears, leaving 18,000/20,000 of the boss' HP (considering you haven't attacked the boss, and not considering the damage of the arrow itself).

Therefore, casting another arrow or stacking the arrow does nothing to the boss' max HP. Hence, the theory of "casting only once, at start" theory of this Sharptooth arrow.

Anyone have comments on this, or have another theory?

Thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Agentzero - Lost City on

Comments

• Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    yes thats spot on
    someone else mentioned this before also it can delay some boss aoes that start at a % and not at a fixed hp, i believe it works on drum,tested it seemed to work but havent tried enough times to be 100% sure, and its kinda hard to tell on soulbanisher, it might delay his stronger aoes, also worth trying on cosmoforce to delay his power boost at 50%
  • EhrdeXero - Heavens Tear
    EhrdeXero - Heavens Tear Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    yes, the point of it is use it ASAP. if the boss is lower than 84%, no point using it anymore.
  • whysoserious
    whysoserious Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    for bosses it must be cast immediately. And if you cast it late, nothing really happens. The HP bar adjusts to the maximum hp making the red bar visually look larger.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Yeahhh we had a discussion about this very recently, once at the start. Personally I use a level 1 bow to apply it to avoid freakish aggro-pulling crits.

Also been experimenting with the drum boss... delaying the 50% seems to work, but I dislike TT, so my testing has been limited to the few times I've gone in since picking up that tip.
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • myrdreon
    myrdreon Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Thats nice, but havent you checked what happens if its done twice?

By that i mean the -health effect from blood vow when you use it along sharptooth or if that becomes a worthless investment on getting blood vow.
  • Encliandra - Lost City
    Encliandra - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    myrdreon wrote: »
    Thats nice, but havent you checked what happens if its done twice?

By that i mean the -health effect from blood vow when you use it along sharptooth or if that becomes a worthless investment on getting blood vow.

Nothing happens if it's done twice, the second shot isn't going to stack with the first, if that's what you meant.

As for blood vow, sage sharpened tooth does more, but anyway, good luck trying to get blood vow in a hurry b:shocked
  • Marmut - Heavens Tear
    Marmut - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    As some of the bosses have a lot of hp (> 300k) wouldn't you steal aggro when you used the sharpened tooth?
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    As some of the bosses have a lot of hp (> 300k) wouldn't you steal aggro when you used the sharpened tooth?

Nope... I don't think the hp lowered count toward aggro, only the actual dmg from arrow counts. Or else archers would be doing six digit dmgs with 1st shot.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    The only aggro thats registered is the actual damage of the shot, the percentage HP loss results from a debuff that is applied and as far as aggro is concerned -- is completely unnoticed.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Good to know, I was wondering that too.

So at what point should the archer fire it off, then? As soon as the BM/Barb/Pet begins tanking and takes its aggro? Or should you wait until it's down to 95% or something?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    use a low level bow and fire it off asap (well after someone takes aggro) and then sit back and wait a bit (take Annor's suggestions in her guide for a starting point if you're unsure), then switch to main weapon and fire away.
  • Caelir - Heavens Tear
    Caelir - Heavens Tear Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Ok, just to clarify on what was posted here:

So, I need to simply use Sharpened Tooth ONCE per boss/mob? At beginning? And then after the icon for the "Hp decreased" debuff disappears, then I do NOT need to cast it again the rest of the fight? Because the max hp will be restored but the difference between the lowered hp from sharpened tooth and the max hp will appear as damage to the monster?

That's pretty badass b:pleased
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Yes, only once, don't worry about the debuff disappearing.

When you reduce the monsters max HP at the start of the fight, its current HP will be reduced to the new maximum, although the maximum will return to its original state once the debuff wears off, this will not replenish the current, and that health will be permanently lost.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    If you are fighting against a boss which does increased damage when he loses health, you might want to keep his max hp down.