Gear questions for Archers

Options
seemen
seemen Posts: 18 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Archer
So what would be a good shard/gem you should use for archers? such as weapon = phy atk shards, gear, evasion, etc... im not too sure which would be my best bet. I do a lot of pvp. so any advices?
Post edited by seemen on

Comments

• Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    wep garnet armor citrine
  • Prewancker - Lost City
    Prewancker - Lost City Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The general consensus is sticking garnet shards in your weapon to increase physical attack and citrine shards in your armor to increase HP.

HP is a stat not affected by diminishing returns, which if you haven't taken economics or a similar subject means that +20 HP when you have 500 and +20 HP when you have 1500 do the same thing. Other stats, however, like physical and magical resistance are affected by diminishing returns. For example, +20 physical resistance when you only have 100 reduces damage by a lot more than if you had 1000.
  • Cyanea - Lost City
    Cyanea - Lost City Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The general consensus is sticking garnet shards in your weapon to increase physical attack and citrine shards in your armor to increase HP.

HP is a stat not affected by diminishing returns, which if you haven't taken economics or a similar subject means that +20 HP when you have 500 and +20 HP when you have 1500 do the same thing.

b:chuckle

However, since the GMs have started pointing people here, I think I should mention how very wrong this general consensus is.

Your benefit from defensive shards scales with incoming damage or your total health pool. Your benefit from HP stays fixed but when compared with your total health pool this means you get diminishing returns (20 health is 10% of 200 health but only 1% of 2000 health). So PW has to give you diminishing returns on defensive shards other than HP or the game would become unbalanced and HP shards would be worthless.

If you will permit me expressing my opinion: you should think through your own needs, and your own play experiences. Forum advice can be helpful, but "the general consensus" can be wrong. (And not just here.)
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    hp shards and keep pdef and mdef ornaments then,youll need the high hp in tts and tws were youre mostly getting hit by magic but sometime phyiscal
    the lvl penalty in tt gives you a much better return using hp shards
  • Marmut - Heavens Tear
    Marmut - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    wep garnet armor citrine

Why is garnet the best for weapon? If you place an average elemental gem, the attack is +32 compared to garnet which adds +16 physical. I'm just curious about the reasoning behind this.
  • Cyanea - Lost City
    Cyanea - Lost City Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Why is garnet the best for weapon? If you place an average elemental gem, the attack is +32 compared to garnet which adds +16 physical. I'm just curious about the reasoning behind this.

Your ranged damage multiplier from your dexterity and from bow mastery multiplies your physical damage (you can see this by examining your character's physical damage stats before and after installing your garnet).

However you probably do not get these benefits if you use elemental gems. (You might be able to test this theory using a sling shot with increased minimum damage? Or just spend lots of time testing... And, low level sling shots might work best.)