A level 1-59 LA Cleric = FAIL!

Kathar - Lost City
Kathar - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Cleric
Ok let me start out by saying that I am a light armor Cleric.... That being said, Low-Mid level LA Clerics are FAIL imo. Why? Because at these levels you are not likely to be going to HH, TW, or Large Group PK. Also you will not have an HH weapon yet so your damage will be much much lower as a light arm cleric than an pure int build. So if you are thinking about rolling a Light Armor Cleric wait till at least lvl 60 and buy a restat scroll. Personally I didn't go light until lvl 78, and I will go back to robes with pdef at 90. The light 8x set was just too cheap to pass up (due to chip prices). so if you are a low lvl considering going light armor don't do it. Go as close to pure int as you can for faster lvling and then choose near 6x to put points in Vit or in Str and Dex. Only after 6x will there be AOEs that you will need the vit or p def for.

Just my 2 cents.
Post edited by Kathar - Lost City on

Comments

• Mrawr - Heavens Tear
    Mrawr - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    la just sucks at any lv lol
  • Shaye - Lost City
    Shaye - Lost City Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    HE SPEAKS THE TRUTH.

Personally, I restatted to light at like level 42 or something. I restatted back at 82, but, yeah. That's how it went. :x Terribad.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i don't see the use of a light armored cleric anyways. a vit build is more desired for things like belial(where squishy clerics aren't allowed), the light armor only adds a little to defense. a cleric needs to be able to take a few extra hits to do other things, whether it be physical or magic, vit adds to that.
  • Specgoesemo - Lost City
    Specgoesemo - Lost City Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    You have to be stupid to even consider LA on an ep prior to lvl70. Even at 70 it's ridiculous unless you have a solid grasp on PvP techniques. Also at 70, good luck doing HH as LA seeing that you want have enough HP to survive the mirror boss.

LA isn't a build I'd recommend to clerics until lvl90. You can get away with it at 80 if you refine your gear like hell and deck it out in g5 or 6 shards. You're an idiot if you waste your money refining/sharding out 7x armor to survive as a LA cleric...
  • Specgoesemo - Lost City
    Specgoesemo - Lost City Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i don't see the use of a light armored cleric anyways. a vit build is more desired for things like belial(where squishy clerics aren't allowed), the light armor only adds a little to defense. a cleric needs to be able to take a few extra hits to do other things, whether it be physical or magic, vit adds to that.

LA clerics are just a different style of play. It is VERY useful in PvP if you are level 8x+. You sacrifice about 200 damage from magic stat loss to roll LA, which isn't much at that level, for a reliable crit rate. Your heals are nearly the same [as a LA cleric, I've only found one boss I had a hard time healing over, and even the robe cleric with me had it a little rough healing over it]. That's a lie that you can't tank Belial as a LA cleric. The killer aoe he has is physical damage. As LA you obviously have higher pdef, not to mention plume shell should be used anyways. I've fought Belial plenty of times with my guild, and survived just fine until he'd hit me with a high end attack dealing around 8k which will 1hit a robe cleric my level anyways.

In conclusion, 8x LA clerics are the same in PvE as robes if geared decently. In PvP, it just depends on how you play. Imo, it takes a lot more skill to play a LA cleric [which is why I rolled it, I don't like typical builds and enjoy the challenge]. If you have a more laid back PvP style, go robes, if you enjoy high pace PvP, go LA [NOT UNTIL 8x EARLIEST]
  • Kathar - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    la just sucks at any lv lol

so ignorant... Please continue to bash a build that you obviously don't understand... I came from the MY Oracle server and I can tel you this, at high levels Clerics there either go full vit with Def stones or light armor. If it were a fail build at ANY level there would not be nearly as many as there are...

Please do the math and understand the build before you flame...

Thanks
  • Keyne - Heavens Tear
    Keyne - Heavens Tear Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Thanks Kathar for the tip on LA. I was considering restating to go LA, but it looks like I should wait just a little longer. Maybe when I hit 7x unless someone can give reason as to why to wait longer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I fail to see the failure of LA in mid lvls, so far I have no trouble at all and always I fare better than robe builds, just watching their 1700 hp (while I have 1500 hp - what a difference eh?) going to 800 with one hit makes me laugh b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    I fail to see the failure of LA in mid lvls, so far I have no trouble at all and always I fare better than robe builds, just watching their 1700 hp (while I have 1500 hp - what a difference eh?) going to 800 with one hit makes me laugh b:chuckle

1,700? 1,500? at level 44? you're a cleric, not a vit-pumping tank. please, explain how that's possible.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    First that, and second vit build would have roughly 600hp more then you at that lv.
    b:dirty
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    First that, and second vit build would have roughly 600hp more then you at that lv.

he's not a vit build, he's a light armored cleric. light armor has no ability to add vit, they have a specific build they must follow. he would have the exact same hp as a squishy full mag build just with slightly higher physical defense. seeing as i have about 1,400~ hp without any equipment, and i'm level 72, him having it doesn't make sense. odds are every piece of his armor doesn't have hp stones.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    he's not a vit build, he's a light armored cleric. light armor has no ability to add vit, they have a specific build they must follow. he would have the exact same hp as a squishy full mag build just with slightly higher physical defense. seeing as i have about 1,400~ hp without any equipment, and i'm level 72, him having it doesn't make sense. odds are every piece of his armor doesn't have hp stones.

He said there that he has only 200hp less then robe build, and that it isnt much.
    And i am just saying that robe(vit build) would have more hp (roughly 600) on that lv.

And about LA, while doing quests today around Tusk town, there was a LA there. On magic mobs he/she had to cast 1iron heart and end up with 2/4 or 2/3 hp left after the fight, while i without casting it would bee on 3/4hp.
    On other hand those pesky Rattus Snipers left me with 3/4 or 2/3 hp while she/ he didnt have that problem.
    And seeing that psy mobs are almost completely gone after lv60.
    The wise thing should be if you want LA for pvp to wait like they said, and restat around lv 80
  • Ence - Lost City
    Ence - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Just understand this:

The ONLY reason I rolled a LA was NOT for PvP (Fail) or PvE (Fail).

It was for TT. The tentacle boss in TT can one-shot a robe and/or hit hard enough to knock a robe cleric out of Blue Bubble. I will state that I have tried and tested it and found that in LA build I was rarely if ever knocked out of Blue, while as a robe, when the boss was getting low on HP (And hitting harder AoE as a result), I had about a 40% chance of getting knocked out of blue.

That is the only reason why I'm a LA build and for sure as soon as I hit 90 (If I ever get there) I'll be switching to robes. The reason why I was LA from the get-go was only because I didn't want to spend the money restatting at level 70, simple as that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    He said there that he has only 200hp less then robe build, and that it isnt much.
    And i am just saying that robe(vit build) would have more hp (roughly 600) on that lv.
    you're not catching what i'm saying. he says he has 1,500 hp, that's impossible to have as a light armor cleric of his level without decent armor.
    Just understand this:

The ONLY reason I rolled a LA was NOT for PvP (Fail) or PvE (Fail).

It was for TT. The tentacle boss in TT can one-shot a robe and/or hit hard enough to knock a robe cleric out of Blue Bubble. I will state that I have tried and tested it and found that in LA build I was rarely if ever knocked out of Blue, while as a robe, when the boss was getting low on HP (And hitting harder AoE as a result), I had about a 40% chance of getting knocked out of blue.

That is the only reason why I'm a LA build and for sure as soon as I hit 90 (If I ever get there) I'll be switching to robes. The reason why I was LA from the get-go was only because I didn't want to spend the money restatting at level 70, simple as that.

i've never died to his aoe and i'm pure mag.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Thats why i said "First that" ;p
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    1,700? 1,500? at level 44? you're a cleric, not a vit-pumping tank. please, explain how that's possible.

Is it jelousy I make out of this post or an attemt to flame?
    Anyways a robe build that adds 3 on vit every two lvls usually has about 1700 hp on my lvl (or less), i see that on the clerics I team up with (at least it seems so) - note that I don't ask every single cleric I team up what his/her build is, I only assume.

@Nelae and Forp
    Maybe it wasn't clear, i was talking about my hp with items on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kathar - Lost City
    edited February 2009

I never meant to say that low lvl light armor Clerics are unplayable... They are... In fact my Cleric on MY was light from lvl 15 through lvl 70 and I did okay...

What I AM saying though is that it is a FAIL build at those levels. Why? Because there is not a need for the p def at low levels (IE you can step out of boss AOE range) and your m atk is way way nerfed. This means that my low lvl light build on MY took 2-3 more hits per kill than my full int cleric here. You will be doing a lot of grinding and until you get a HH wep with massive m atk built in your kills will be slower, thus you will level slower and spend more MP doing so, and that is FAIL imo.
  • Dhamad - Heavens Tear
    Dhamad - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    to add to this discussion.....im a light cleric but with a little higher dex then others....i have an easy time staying alive, and a grand old time being able to kill within a few shots or so. i have a hard time understanding why forcing ur character out of their role makes it better. a slight deviation is good for a unique character, my cleric for example has great criticals which help my health stay intact due to the fact i kill faster....and doesnt iron heart help replace the need for phys def? it sure makes it easy for a light robe to solo since we have no hp and iron heart stacks
    a GOOD cleric knows how to use his or her skills available, and that doesnt make a light robe squishy at all
  • Frickkina - Heavens Tear
    Frickkina - Heavens Tear Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i am starting to think about adding points to vit, but i feel sad that im going to miss out on damage....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    For every action, there is an equal and opposite amount of QQing
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    to add to this discussion.....im a light cleric but with a little higher dex then others....i have an easy time staying alive, and a grand old time being able to kill within a few shots or so. i have a hard time understanding why forcing ur character out of their role makes it better. a slight deviation is good for a unique character, my cleric for example has great criticals which help my health stay intact due to the fact i kill faster....and doesnt iron heart help replace the need for phys def? it sure makes it easy for a light robe to solo since we have no hp and iron heart stacks
    a GOOD cleric knows how to use his or her skills available, and that doesnt make a light robe squishy at all

+4% crit at level 90 doesn't make up for the loss in ~1/3 of your dmg/healing ability.
  • Niraneth - Heavens Tear
    Niraneth - Heavens Tear Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    there are such things as crit rings and arrows....in actuality my cleric has 3% crit.....and luckily i have no probs with healing since i have no issues with low dmg, luckily iron heart bases heals off magic attack and not crit percentage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    What do you mean by this
    cleric than an pure int build. So if

I was thinking of a LA for soloing or farming.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Kathar - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Put simply don't.

LA is a valid PvP build but a rather worthless PvE build (With the exception of HH)
  • Featal - Heavens Tear
    Featal - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Its all about play style. As has been said.

However there seem to be some with a misconception of wanting to be a Full Support LA Cleric.

Hate to say it but this is probably not advised. I have ran with many cleric builds and a few of which were LA level 7x.

For test purposes I would let them solo heal a tank on several HH runs, boss runs, Wraith bosses and FB's. Where ever I am partied with one.. I always test their healing to see better for myself. It is not bad.. sometimes, however there were several cases where I had to heal lest I let the tank die with the LA cleric healing solo. I would also ask the LA cleric to attack while I heal.. and I could heal just fine. I am not "Full Mag", I am Hybrid (Vit + Mag).

At higher levels, 8x, There would not be much harm in going LA.. Definitely would not matter around 9x. Lower and Mid level though? As stated before, I would not advise it if going for full support. However I do encourage experimenting.

Some things just work out better for others. It is all about playing style and what skills you have invested in.

Personally.. I find it simple to spam IH on myself a few times, Cast Plume Shell, Pop an MP Pot or Powder and go from there. (Way too many people complain about Plume Shell sucking up too much MP.. use a pot.. use a powder.. its a lot cheaper than other alternatives to reducing damage). That would be personal preference though.

I do believe way too many options are not given enough credit. Experimentation is a good thing. For anyone to say something is "Fail" is said in ignorance, imo. I have seen and heard of many cases where supposed "Fail" builds and setups rubbed their triumph into the accusers faces.

Depends entirely upon the player. Where one has failed others are sure to succeed.
  • Wtfxxxshot - Harshlands
    Wtfxxxshot - Harshlands Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    am lvl 30 and i got 1250 hp and i dont even have alot of hp stones oh and btw hybrid build at lvl 44 can have way more then 1.7k hp
  • Slake - Lost City
    Slake - Lost City Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    As an LA cleric... I have never ever had a situtation in HH/FB etc where my heals have been insufficient to keep the tank alive. Only times a tank dies under my protection is massive debuff bosses when I don't get purify on fast enough because of lagging/not paying attention :p. Or maybe the tank is to lower lvl and boss wipes half his hp in one hit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GotTold.com

Sup?
  • _WillFire_ - Sanctuary
    _WillFire_ - Sanctuary Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited April 2009

Eh...Forp...he's 64th.
    Mark 12:29-37
    _WillFire_ 8x Combat Medic
  • Seraph - Dreamweaver
    Seraph - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Eh...Forp...he's 64th.

Look at the age of the original posts... this is a necro. LOL

Most likely the guy was lvl 44 back then, and is NOW lvl 64. ;)
  • _WillFire_ - Sanctuary
    _WillFire_ - Sanctuary Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Look at the age of the original posts... this is a necro. LOL

Most likely the guy was lvl 44 back then, and is NOW lvl 64. ;)

Ah...my bad. Someone res'd the thread then. b:laugh
    Mark 12:29-37
    _WillFire_ 8x Combat Medic
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Ah...my bad. Someone res'd the thread then. b:laugh

Yeah, Featal at post #25.