Character Save File

caelb
caelb Posts: 8 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
Did not think this question was already on the forums. If so, I apologize if it is already answered elsewhere. My computer's hard drive is failing causing me to have to buy a completely new one. I was wondering if I would lose the many hours of work that I have put into my character or if the character is saved on the Perfect World server itself. Any answers are heavily appreciated and just wanted to say that the community so far is incredible. Thanks guys
Post edited by caelb on

Comments

• Weigelt - Sanctuary
    Weigelt - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    it's saved to the PWI server.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    If the characters were not saved to the server, editing them would be far too easy.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • caelb
    caelb Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    thanks a ton guys, question answered its ok to close.
  • Baraiai - Sanctuary
    Baraiai - Sanctuary Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Not only would it be too easy to edit it if we were saving it ourselves, but i'd forget to save often, get dced and have to redo the same quest over and over XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    If the characters were not saved to the server, editing them would be far too easy.
    But because they're saved to the server, when PW goes down (for good), so do all our accounts.

I realize this is something most people accept about MMOs, but it's never sat right with me because I'm a nostalgic ****, and I like to replay things 5-10 years later. XD Buuuuut, that's why I play this game pretty casually...

Sorry, just felt like playing devil's advocate for a second.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    But because they're saved to the server, when PW goes down (for good), so do all our accounts.

I realize this is something most people accept about MMOs, but it's never sat right with me because I'm a nostalgic ****, and I like to replay things 5-10 years later. XD Buuuuut, that's why I play this game pretty casually...

Sorry, just felt like playing devil's advocate for a second.

so then maybe they should download a copy of the chars everytime u sign off so u can look at it out of game and run around in a little box but can't use it in the actual game. i'd actually like that.
  • Enina - Heavens Tear
    Enina - Heavens Tear Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Ooh, yeah, we must have a single-person client. Could be so much fun to take on a FB or jewelscalen all on your own. b:laugh

However, as has been said, the characters are saved onto the server. When/if PWI shuts down, or at least your server does, the character and time invested will go poof. No way of saving, unless we get the oppertunity to transfer to a new server, or alternatively get a single-player version into which we can transfer our online character.