Problem with game, Deaf issue

tinyarrow
tinyarrow Posts: 3 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Support Desk
I'm deaf in real life. And guess what? I decided to try out the 'Cube puzzle' today... and tried out one first room. I entered a room.. an explosive bugs looking with ? as their level. I walked to the nearest person who I assumed that gives hint.. and the hint said "Shh.. Listen!"

What the hell?

Yeah.. Like I can hear.. -.-

Can you, GM, fix this?
Post edited by tinyarrow on

Comments

• jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Ah, the age old challenge of accessibility.

If I may ask, you asked the GM's to fix it...how would you suggest that they fix it? The room is working properly, it's just that it happens to require something you can't do (or be a veno, or be lucky).
    By fix did you mean you wanted them to remove it, or a special deaf mode you can enable which does...something, or what?

Suggestions are more useful when they come with actual suggestions, rather than just a command to change something. :)
  • tinyarrow
    edited February 2009
    Hmm. That would be helpful if they have something special for deaf. I'm not sure what to suggest since i'm not really expert at games, Lol.. I wonder, could they drop more hints than just the sound one?
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    they could put a vid of someone singning it or you can lipread
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    It would probably be better if they had an actual text response with the clue to make it workable for everyone... and by that I mean those able to play the game.. the blind don't count! Don't say it.. Don't say it! Ahh hell your gonna say it!

~Saitada
  • jemima
    edited February 2009
    It would probably be better if they had an actual text response with the clue to make it workable for everyone... and by that I mean those able to play the game.. the blind don't count! Don't say it.. Don't say it! Ahh hell your gonna say it!

~Saitada
    So basically the monsters tell you in the form of text on your screen where to go?

Heck, why not just have giant flashing arrows through an empty room? That way those who lack proper hand-eye coordination can still play the game and not accidentally run through mobs.

This counts as being insensitive to disabled people, doesn't it?

Anyway, not that I intend to be sarcastic, I just don't really see how the point of a puzzle room, where part of the challenge is a hearing one, can be made accessible to deaf people without defeating the purpose of the room.
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    jemima wrote: »
    This counts as being insensitive to disabled people, doesn't it?

That's ok. I don't think disabled people have feelings.

But just for you, tinyarrow:

For the first listening room:
    Rainbow wrote:
    for this room, you can stick to the wall. when you get teleported to that room, you appeared at a corner right? if you walk straight, you'll see the NPC. after talking to it, go back to the spot where you spawned and this time turn left. it's a longer route to the NPC but remember, stick to the wall!

For the second one.. I dunno. You seem to be kinda screwed on that one. I'd suggest you get some buddies to lend a hand.

A rather long and convoluted option would be to get vent or something, then rely on someone else to listen for you.

Err.. assuming you have speakers. I'm guessing you probably wouldn't get a whole lot of use out of them. Hmm.. dunno. Although I guess most comps come with speakers. Maybe? Dunno.

How peculiar. Never really thought about that before.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • tinyarrow
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the helps, lol. And yes, I did fail on the 1st room o.O

They should have option if the puzzle room should have sound on or off.. if its off, then the puzzle should be slighted changed, you know?

Ah well.

In game username: Some_Idiot

^^<3
  • jemima
    edited February 2009
    If the other challenge is harder, it's still 'unfair' for deaf people. If it's easier everyone would just turn off the sound and pretend to be deaf.
    And either way, it still involves extra work for the couple of people who are deaf, and not only use the cube of fate, but do so regularly enough that them being screwed on one room is a real issue for them.
    There's a whole number of rooms in the cube where you can just end up screwed. Sure does suck getting stuck with 9/10 cards. Or fighting that mob that takes ages with a bomb.
  • Teseanna - Heavens Tear
    Teseanna - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,021 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Here, do this...
    How did Mozart play music? Crank your speakers, if you can rest one of eack on a knee. Feel it, right?
  • dtz
    dtz Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Here, do this...
    How did Mozart play music? Crank your speakers, if you can rest one of eack on a knee. Feel it, right?
    Beethoven was deaf. Mozart lived fast, died young, and was buried in a mass grave because he spent all his money.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    DO NOT put loud volume audio sources near your body or head, deaf of not.

I'm researching a workaround for you, but in the mean time, if you can find a PC application that has a decent on-screen equalizer of ALL audio that your PC is making live, it might be able to help you.

Run the game in windowed mode, have the equalizer running (the more frequencies detected, the better), and use the euqalizer's bars or waves moving up and down, or back and forth, to help you "tune in" the sounds you need to find.

Hope that helps you.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    fuzzles wrote: »
    A rather long and convoluted option would be to get vent or something, then rely on someone else to listen for you.

If hes deaf... how is vent gonna help?
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    If hes deaf... how is vent gonna help?

Put the mic next to the headphones/speakers and have someone on the other end typing to him and tell him if they hear something. I'm not sure why he'd have any of that equipment in the first place though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    interesting point you bring up. im not totally deaf, "just" hard of hearing from Meniere's Disease, and, because of that, i cant stand to play with the sound on except in the middle of our night, when everyone is in bed, because background sound is so confusing. so 99% of the time, i play with the sound off on any game i play, and havent had the kind of problem you mention. first time i've heard of a sound cue. but then, i miss out on a lot-i just heard the music in the cube the other day, and its really cute!

seriously, though-what degree of loss do you have? one possiblty would be to play with headphones, and the sound cranked. unless your loss is profound, that might be of some help..
    tinyarrow wrote: »
    I'm deaf in real life. And guess what? I decided to try out the 'Cube puzzle' today... and tried out one first room. I entered a room.. an explosive bugs looking with ? as their level. I walked to the nearest person who I assumed that gives hint.. and the hint said "Shh.. Listen!"

What the hell?

Yeah.. Like I can hear.. -.-

Can you, GM, fix this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • saidje
    saidje Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009

I'm researching a workaround for you, but in the mean time, if you can find a PC application that has a decent on-screen equalizer of ALL audio that your PC is making live, it might be able to help you.

Run the game in windowed mode, have the equalizer running (the more frequencies detected, the better), and use the euqalizer's bars or waves moving up and down, or back and forth, to help you "tune in" the sounds you need to find.

Hope that helps you.

I don't know what system tinyarrow has but maybe this has some info and points to a certain direction?

Accessibility Tutorials for Windows XP

or

Windows XP Accessibility Resources
    Saidje
    Having a high post count doesn't make you anything in the game.
    Unless you're attempting to kiss up to a GM and you KNOW what that makes you
    . :D
  • fuzzles
    edited February 2009

Umm.. yeah. It'd be a shame if he were to damage his hearing.
  • Drazo - Heavens Tear
    Drazo - Heavens Tear Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    fuzzles wrote: »
    Umm.. yeah. It'd be a shame if he were to damage his hearing.

Even if he's completely deaf, putting the volume up enough to be felt especially using ear/headphones could cause (further) damage to your ears, as well as give you earache, and possibly other physical injuries. Also excessive vibrations can easily cause headaches or even dizzyness.

Having a someone listen for you may help, whether online or with you IRL. b:victory
    Non-mule alts:

Drazo - Venomancer - Dreamweaver - Semi-active
    Knatami - Barbarian - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    Drazorus - Archer - Sanctuary - Inactive
    Cidemami - Cleric - Dreamweaver - Inactive
    Recilsami - Blademaster - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    DrazoThePsy - Psychic - Dreamweaver - Active
    DrazoTheSas - Assassin - Dreamweaver - Active
  • fuzzles
    edited February 2009
    Even if he's completely deaf, putting the volume up enough to be felt especially using ear/headphones could cause (further) damage to your ears, as well as give you earache, and possibly other physical injuries. Also excessive vibrations can easily cause headaches or even dizzyness.

Guess so, but you'd need some truly magnificent Gods-among-speakers to pull that kinda thing off. And not to be insensitive or anything, but something tells me that a deaf guy isn't gonna blow a few thousand dollars on a state-of-the-art sound system.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    @fuzzles

This is a sensitive system:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_system

Soundwaves can do tissue damage, interrupt the functions of your brain, manipulate fire, make your heart miss a beat or stop, punch holes through different types of mass, and various other things that aren't good for you if not used in moderation or care is not used.

So even though someone may be deaf, does not mean they can't feel the vibrations and waves from the sound, or are immune from the damage that soundwaves can do to their body.

It isn't good for anyone to be too close to speakers operating at their capacities, deaf or not.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    but watching bars wont tell you what is being said. and its is very common for HoH to wear some form of headphones, with sound turned up. having the volume up doesn mean it has to be as high as teenagers crank it.

best option would be to include in the system settings a caption button. those of us with hearing impairment would SO appreciate and love this! b:thanks

Hope that helps you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
This discussion has been closed.