GM channel spam

Mistigris - Heavens Tear
Mistigris - Heavens Tear Posts: 61 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
I'm sure I'm far from the first to complain about this, but could you GMs please stop spamming the PWI website every night? Seriously, people who play the game obviously know the website exists. They couldn't have downloaded the game without knowing it exists. We don't need scrolling messages telling us to visit it for over an hour every night. It affects my gameplay seriously (yes, I have a rather crappy laptop combined with a crappy connection but usually I'm fine when I'm not in West Arch) by causing it to lag and I've considered not playing in the evening at all anymore, which is the main time I have. It would amount to me practically leaving the game. I definitely won't be putting more money into the game when it's almost unplayable for me in its current state.

I know I'm not the only person in my faction who's similarly affected by this issue. Just stop it already.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
images by ForsakenX
Post edited by Mistigris - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    eh look I agree I find it kinda stupid that they post that link but seriousley...

It makes your computer lag?, why are you blaming the game because you don't have the right tools to play it with?
  • Kelovar - Heavens Tear
    Kelovar - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    GM spam brings back bad memories from MY servers >_> Soon we will get the "playing too much can be harmful to your health" message <_<;

All these messages are useless... ^^"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Through the darkest of nights, we shall shine brightly, revealing the path to both friendship and glory ~
    Kelovar, Radiance executor

Thanks ForsakenX for the sig *_*
  • Mistigris - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    It makes your computer lag?, why are you blaming the game because you don't have the right tools to play it with?

I admitted that my computer and connection are crappy (though above the minimum required according to the PWI website) and accept having issues every now and then when there are huge numbers of people around (i.e. West Arch). There are sometimes things that happen in-game that lag me, and I usually just accept it as being part of playing an online game with my set-up. The constant scrolling messages that serve no purpose at all I don't see as being part of the PWI experience and I don't see why I should have to accept them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    images by ForsakenX
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    The constant scrolling messages that serve no purpose at all I don't see as being part of the PWI experience and I don't see why I should have to accept them.
    They serve the purpose of announcing to PWI that there is something on the website they want you too see. As everyone does NOT play at the same time the repeated scrolling messages serve to announce this to multiple time zones so everyone will have the chance to see that they think there is something we all should see. Example..I live in Hawai'i.. my playtime is 6 hours off from east coast play times, so if they scrolled it for Eastern time, chances are I wouldn't see it.

On to the other issue. If your comp lags or bogs down due to a scrolling message go here and start looking into getting an upgrade. There are fair comps there for as low as $100.00 and decent base systems for as low as $150.00 that would improve your computing experience quite a lot. Hope that is helpful.

~Saitada
  • FroozeBow - Heavens Tear
    FroozeBow - Heavens Tear Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    'Visit perfectword.com for information on perfect world.' WELL DUH... gosh these gms might as well have come from MY
  • Shaye - Lost City
    Shaye - Lost City Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Hey, I wouldn't complain if they could get more people on the forums.

Just sayin'.
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Past two guilds I've been in, I'm practically the only one that comes here nearly every day, so I'm just reporting things to everyone else. Believe it or not, there are actually people who didn't know the site had forums, they signed up and downloaded the game and never entered here. That being said the scrolling announcements can get annoying I suppose... Me and a friend were running through FB69, just him and myself on Sunday. With that much going on, concentrating, making sure he isn't getting ganged up on, watching myself, my pet... Well a scroller came across and I about jumped clear out of my chair. >.< If they just got rid of the scroller I think a lot of you would be happier. Not that I feel it's all that major of a thing but can understand where you are coming from, especially if it causes you lag.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    'Visit perfectword.com for information on perfect world.' WELL DUH... gosh these gms might as well have come from MY
    Your missing the point of the messages. They are there to get players who normally never bother reading anything past loading the game, to go look and see what it is they "might" be missing.

How many people do you know who have never bothered to read the forums or even go to the PWI main website other than when they first went to download the game. My guess.. probably 85-95% of the playerbase.

That is the point of the scrolling messages. To make people start wondering what it is they might have missed, and go look.

~Saitada (bites her tongue and is being very nice today)
  • Shaye - Lost City
    edited February 2009

It's a trap.
  • ngc4038
    ngc4038 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    yeah its just that some noobs dont go to the site
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    not as anooying as that guy in archo who keeps spaming gold selling site
  • Shaye - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    not as anooying as that guy in archo who keeps spaming gold selling site

QFT. Why did they pop up all of a sudden today?

Oh btw, blacklist is love.
  • Tigriss - Heavens Tear
    Tigriss - Heavens Tear Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Your missing the point of the messages. They are there to get players who normally never bother reading anything past loading the game, to go look and see what it is they "might" be missing.

How many people do you know who have never bothered to read the forums or even go to the PWI main website other than when they first went to download the game. My guess.. probably 85-95% of the playerbase.

That is the point of the scrolling messages. To make people start wondering what it is they might have missed, and go look.

*Rubs Belly* Good Saitadab:pleasedb:pleasedb:pleased
    "Jesus fricking christ on a pogo stick. Your a mass of fricking idiots I swear!"
    -Saitada
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thankies Crystalynnex
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    *Rubs Belly* Good Saitadab:pleasedb:pleasedb:pleased
    Purrrrr purrrrrr purrrrrrrr.

~S
  • Hildeborg - Heavens Tear
    Hildeborg - Heavens Tear Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    The purpose of the message is well understood, that's true.

But yet ...

It's becoming incredibly bothersome ...

Like an itch you cannot reach ...

At first you don't pay attention ...

Then it begins to nag you a bit. Slowly, very slowly ...

Your stress rises ...

You try to scratch it, but discover that you have absolutely no means to turn it off ...

You endure a bit more ...

a bit more ...

Your begin to have muscle twitch each times you see the red message ...

Again ...

And again ...

And again ...

And again ...

RHAAA !

RHAAA !

RHAAAAAAAAA !

AND YOU WANT TO JUMP AT MR RED WORLD CHAT'S THROAT AND RIP IT OPEN WITH YOUR BARE TEETH TO MAKE HIM SHUT UUUUUP !

RHAAA ! MAKE IIIT STOOOP !

** Goes amok on a wanton killing spree with a fire axe in hand **
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Afet - Heavens Tear
    Afet - Heavens Tear Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    GM spam brings back bad memories from MY servers >_> Soon we will get the "playing too much can be harmful to your health" message <_<;

All these messages are useless... ^^"

But playing too much can be harmful to your health.
  • Szhira - Sanctuary
    Szhira - Sanctuary Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Yes, I agree it's annoying.

Why not have a prominent link in the updater window to the forums?

We don't need to read announcements about the forums every 15 mins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    QFT. Why did they pop up all of a sudden today?

Oh btw, blacklist is love.

it sure is
  • Chappy_Happy - Heavens Tear
    Chappy_Happy - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    It IS annoying. I dont want irrelevant red text popping up saying "<3 YOU TOO!".

Announcements like the website can stay in the intro window before I log in. Or have a message that pops up in the chat box when I first log in.
  • Porkers - Lost City
    Porkers - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Just an FYI, I'm not positive, but I am pretty sure if you don't like the system messages you can turn them off in System Settings, under the Game Tab, click on whatever chat type you will use (e.i. Cmmon, Faction, yada yada.) And there will be a check box on the right that says System Messages. Just uncheck it and poof, no more scrollies! b:victory
  • Domnorix - Heavens Tear
    Domnorix - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I dont really mind the announcements about the "latest" news every few minutes. But if there was actaully any new news at all. when they started the spamming like 2 days ago or more there was no latest news lol. now they have the fashion hunt event thing but thats all.
  • Domnorix - Heavens Tear
    Domnorix - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Just an FYI, I'm not positive, but I am pretty sure if you don't like the system messages you can turn them off in System Settings, under the Game Tab, click on whatever chat type you will use (e.i. Cmmon, Faction, yada yada.) And there will be a check box on the right that says System Messages. Just uncheck it and poof, no more scrollies! b:victory

no u cant its grayed out.
    in all chat regions u cant disable whisper or system messages.
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Actually I like the spam. People download this and never even bother reading up on the game info and get to level 50 still not knowing what FB means or where little daisy is.

I can't use a telecoustic to sell or buy without some idiot asking me where something is or "how i get panther plz", "how i git glow weapn pls" or ****...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mistigris - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    My absolute main problem with the messages is their frequency in the evening (PST). They're basically constant for quite a while. I've asked friends about other times, and they say they pop up maybe once a day or that they haven't seen them at all during the day. This defeats the "different time zones" explanation, and I'd be a lot less annoyed if they didn't just repeat the same thing over and over and over. One message every few hours for different time zones? Hey, no problem. 15 identical messages within half an hour? Useless, irritating, and plain stupid.

If there's a way to disable even just the scrolling part (I have no problem with the red system messages, even if I don't care at all about who got married to whom or who got a pet ticket) I'd be happier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    images by ForsakenX
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Maybe the frequency at which they say the message could be reviewed. But getting people to view the website isn't a bad idea. Tons of people I talk to always go "Wait, there's an event?" "How come I didn't know about this?!"

And the answer why, is cause they never bother to check the site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thom
    thom Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    It is a really good idea to spam the website and tell people to come read the forums or news in here. Seems like,just some wild number, half the server doesnt even know when an event starts,what it is or how to do it.

It needs to be spammed,since people all around the world play and most i think play only for few hours if even that long. They will see it maybe once or twice.
    If the announcement came only, say twice a day, most could easily miss it.

those of us who play 6-10+ hours a day, it will of course feel a lot more spam.

But in my opinion, it is very much needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I agree with telling people to visit the forums for playing tips. I actually do the same when people ask silly question on the chat.

I give the answers plus refer them to the forums.
  • dvorak
    dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    We are in the process of revising some of the messages that are currently being broadcast on servers so please be patient. That said, as others have pointed out the vast majority of players you see in-game are unaware of the PWI website and the info found there, including forums.

Remember, not everyone is as savvy enough about whats going in-game and out of game as our typical PWI Forum participant. We do need to bring this player demographic up to speed so please be tolerant when the occasional broadcast is targeted to them.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Dvorak wrote: »
    We are in the process of revising some of the messages that are currently being broadcast on servers so please be patient. That said, as others have pointed out the vast majority of players you see in-game are unaware of the PWI website and the info found there, including forums.

Remember, not everyone is as savvy enough about whats going in-game and out of game as our typical PWI Forum participant. We do need to bring this player demographic up to speed so please be tolerant when the occasional broadcast is targeted to them.

the broadcast should be less generic, always makes me think there was something new posted
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    The good thing about the messages, is that people check out our forums to help them learn about the game or handle tech support issues.

The sorta bad thing is how much the website gets hit after the messages are broadcast! Wow! b:victory
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera