Confused...

Shaylandiane - Sanctuary
Shaylandiane - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
I'm a cleric and I have the following worry/problem.

I have been disheartened from playing the game because I'm so confused...
One person tells me I'll have enough spirit to learn all the spells so I just learn all the spells and I end up running out of spirit...
Another person tells me it's okay I can grind for spirit... but I get 30 spirit a kill when I need about 400 kills to level.
The third person tells me I should quest because quests will give enough spirit...
The fourth person tells me I'll run out of quests at level 40...

According to my calculations I'd need to kill over thirty thousand mobs just to catch up to the absolutely required spells and that's just for my current level...

And I'm told there is no way to unlearn spells I no longer want to use...

Somebody please help?
Post edited by Shaylandiane - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Ethree - Lost City
    Ethree - Lost City Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Just use the spirit you have to get the skills you deem most important. Dont

try to get and max all skills b/c you wont have enough spirit to do that.

Questing is the best way to go till 4/5x then you start grinding. Once you hit

8x you really start grinding and will get more than enough spirit to max the

skills you let go earlier. As a cleric (idk if you are support or attack b:chuckle)

you should keep your heals and buffs up to date,and lvl your attack skills

enough to be sufficient to grind effectively
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] tx Haiz too pro
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Don't learn all your skills, you *can* theoretically do them all with enough grinding but just focus on the important ones first. You neverstop getting quests, you just get less quests. From lvl 58 onwards you'll notice way less quests.

Learn inronheart bless, cylcone, plume quil and the 4 buffs. Later on you can learn thund wield and the party buffs and party heal.
    Quests give lots of spirit, in fact you should ALWAYS be doing ALL your quests. The yellow cultivation quests gives lots of SP.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Just use the spirit you have to get the skills you deem most important. Dont

try to get and max all skills b/c you wont have enough spirit to do that.

Questing is the best way to go till 4/5x then you start grinding. Once you hit

8x you really start grinding and will get more than enough spirit to max the

skills you let go earlier. As a cleric (idk if you are support or attack b:chuckle)

you should keep your heals and buffs up to date,and lvl your attack skills

enough to be sufficient to grind effectively
    VERY sound advice. At 70, I still don't have enough spirit (or coin for that matter) to max out all my skills, but I DO have enough to max out the very important ones. The ones I use everyday. If I had tried to balance out my skills (all roughly the same level etc) I would be a severely gimped Veno. I have 6 skills maxxed and the rest range from 1 or 2 (only enough to open the next skill) to 6-8 if they are skills I have started using more often than I used to (amplify damage etc - werefox curses).

As Ethree stated, concentrate on your most important skills, your beginning Heals, Buffs, Plume shot etc. and level the others as your able. As you grow your skills will grow with you. You'll find you use X more than Y and Z not at all and will be able to start concentrating on those skills.

~Saitada

*edit* Smexxyfox is on the money with the skills list as well.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Different things (quests, mobs, one-use items, etc) give different ratios of exp to spirit. Most of them seem to be between 5:1 and 4:1, but I think a few rare ones give lower than 4:1 (i.e. proportionately more spirit).

However, there is one sure-fire way to "catch up" in the amount of spirit you have for a given level. It's not very pleasant though: Die. A lot. When you die, you lose exp but not spirit. So after a dozen deaths to wipe out your exp bar, grinding to get it back, and repeating the process a few more times, you will have plenty of spirit for your level.

Most would probably argue it's better just to level and upgrade your spells later. I hear that by your 60s and 70s you'll have plenty of leftover spirit. But if you absolutely want to get your best spells up to date for your level now, that's how you can do it. Level 30 actually may not be a bad time to do this. At that level, the mobs are dropping a lot of sought after items and crafting materials which you can sell for money. As you get higher in level, those mobs turn green and their drop rate dries up. There's actually a thread on the veno board which discusses this.

BTW, quests hit a dry spot in your 40s, but the early 50s have lots of quests again. Are you doing the crazy stone quest? That only takes 10-15 minutes and gives plenty of exp and spirit. If you're not going to be playing for a while, you could probably just do crazy stone each day before going to sleep. Then do the dying thing I mentioned to lose the exp but keep the spirit.
  • Shaylandiane - Sanctuary
    Shaylandiane - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2009

Learn inronheart bless, cylcone, plume quil and the 4 buffs.

Yes, that's what I don't have enough spirit for...
  • Enina - Heavens Tear
    Enina - Heavens Tear Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    What's important is that you try to keep track of what skills you NEED vs the skills you WANT, vs the skills that are just there. The first thing for that is that you try to decide what your role will be.

Are you a cleric who manages best in groups, buffing your teammates and not really doing anything but throwing heals around? Then make sure you have your defence buffs, revive, chromatic healing beam and Ironheart Blessing at the max levels you can.

If you primarily go kill things on your own, make sure that you have Plume Shot, Cyclone, Plume Shell and Ironheart Blessing (for self-healing - can be replaced with Wellspring Surge, but I don't recommend it) as high as they can go.

Once you have the skills that are a bare minimum to keep yourself and/or others alive, you can look at others. For instance: Those that you get at high levels are usually neglible in their usefulness at first - you'll have skills that are far more powerful, even though you got them at a lower level. So, usually, I would recommend skipping them and saving them for later. But if your basic skills are up to par, you can invest in a higher level skill.

If your Cyclone is maxed as far as it can go at your level? Look at your Metal Mastery to do extra damage. Your Plume Shot can't be levelled more? Take a gander at Razor Feathers. Can't upgrade Ironheart Blessing more? Put a point or two into - you'll think I'm crazy - Blessing of the Purehearted. When a comrade is down just 100 or 150 points of life, you don't want to fire off the big shot Ironheart when you can just nudge their life up that little bit.

Of course, also look at the effectiveness of some spells when you consider levelling them. The various Seals, for instance, look excellent at a glance. But once you've gotten the initial level, their effectiveness only increases by 2% or so per level - and it costs a load of spirit. Purify just gets a lower cooldown when you level it, and, really, Flight Mastery is useless if you use your level 30 wings.
  • Ryocean - Lost City
    Ryocean - Lost City Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    A really good source of Spirit is Dragon quests and crazy stone quests. This are two additional things u could do. And Dragon Quests are repeatable and crazy stone quest is once a day
  • starman17
    starman17 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    and dont forget other peoples FB tabs you can help them with. decent spirit gain there too.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I'll just add:
    Help people on their quests, you get experience and spirits. Mistake people do is allowing people to help them but they don't help anyone. Guess what? you are getting less spirits and less exps.

Don't do grinding just to get xp or spirits, Do grinding to gather mats that you need for manufacturing needs, you will get xp and spirits at the same time.

For intance, I need compound oil, exps and spirits. What do I do? kill mobs that give me compound oil. Some people actually buy the mats and go grinding after. if posible, see if you can add a reputation solo quest on your grinding, you will get reps too.
  • Celestyna - Heavens Tear
    Celestyna - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    when you get to lvl 70ish you should have spirit enough to start maxing everything (long as you can afford to do so with coin anyways)
    as a support cleric the following spells were leveled as soon as a new level come up in this order:
    Revive
    Iron Heart
    Pdef buff
    Mdef Buff
    Mattack buff
    Plume shot
    Cyclone
    Hp/MP regain (this one costs a small fortune so i put it off to be able to level plume and cyclone)

the following spells i picked up just to lvl 1 in the heal line : Pureheart & Wellspring (have to to get rest), Purify, chromatic beam, stream of rejuvenation at lvl 59 so you can take Regeneration aura (aka BB)

Plume shell i had at lvl 2 or 3 and kept it there for the longest time

At lvl 82 i only have 5 skills not up to 10 yet, mainly cause i don't wanna spend the coins: Chromatic healing beam, Stream of rejuvenation, Silence seal, chromatic seal, and the flight mastery
    Flight mastery is a waste of time as i use cash shop wings it only works on the white wings you start with, the others do good enough at their current levels i don't feel the need to up them more just yet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Methuseleh - Lost City
    Methuseleh - Lost City Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    basically i read no one else post but someone lied to u. u dont have enuff spirit to learn all skills and if u went to far u might wanna start over. if ur not much past lvl 20 keep goin but only learn the skills u need, which u can find by readin the forum or probably some of the replies u got to this thread.

ps- u eventually could get enuff spirit to learn all skills but ur talkin lvl 90 stuff and u need ur skills on the way to help u get there so if u leveling the wrong ones then stop and start to only level the ones u need. example=ironheart blessing, plume shot, cyclone, and ur buffs(especially magic dmg buff) if u wanna be support.
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    A really good source of Spirit is Dragon quests and crazy stone quests. This are two additional things u could do. And Dragon Quests are repeatable and crazy stone quest is once a day
    starman17 wrote: »
    and dont forget other peoples FB tabs you can help them with. decent spirit gain there too.

All of those in addition to grinding still leave the OP with the same problem. Because all of those give Experience as well. Again in the ratio of 20-25% spirit to experience ratio. So as the OP gets spirit, he/she gets experience & levels and gets access to more skill & still doesnt have enough spirit. There is NO way to catch up your spirit to your experience level until your 90s. The exception to that is the afore mentioned dying alot, but thats rediculous since it doesnt give you more spirit, it just removes experience, so you'd have acquired the same spirit/skills either way, but be higher level (and have better stats) without dying.

Just skill up only the most important skills and as a cleric it seems you have to choose whether your role will be attack cleric, or support cleric. You dont have the spirit to get skills to be effective at both.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    There is NO way to catch up your spirit to your experience level until your 90s. The exception to that is the afore mentioned dying alot, but thats rediculous since it doesnt give you more spirit, it just removes experience, so you'd have acquired the same spirit/skills either way, but be higher level (and have better stats) without dying.

Funny, that's what I said about avoiding teleports to save money. It doesn't save you money, it costs you more money to not teleport (due to losing time that could be spent making money). It just makes it look like you're saving money because it slows down your leveling - so you have more money at a given level. But everyone still seems to want to run/ride/fly around instead of teleport "because of how expensive it is".

Anyway, some quests become unavailable if you level too high. So if the lack of skills is causing the character to be so gimped that s/he is unable to complete those quests, dying to stop your level progress and fix your skills may be the right thing to do. It would seem to be a preferable alternative to starting a new character.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    when/if you hit 59(i have faith you will) you'll have so much spirit you might not even have enough coin to use it all. you'll be maxing a few skills with that 260k spirit from your cultivation, and hopefully have multiple skills maxed before it. when i hit 59 i already had my physical defense, magic defense, and recovery buffs maxed; including their aoe forms. i maxed my magic attack and aoe form with some of the spirit from my cultivation.

i already had ironheart, plume shot, and great cyclone maxed. wellspring surge was maybe level 9, and i maxed blessing of the purehearted when i was a very low level(because i thought it was cool to heal someones hp bar fully b:cool). my revive was level 9 now(level 9 is at 59) and i still had spirit left over to play with. i now have more skills maxed than most level 80s!

but, if you're truly desperate for the spirit, do races. wether you win or lose, gives you a badge of speed. save these until you get 10, turn them in for a sign of speed, and trade that sign of speed for a whopping 22k spirit. for some, that may not be a lot. but look at her level, 22k is a lot of spirit at that level. she could definitely catch up a good amount with it.
  • Vetricz - Heavens Tear
    Vetricz - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I think this would still be confusing :O

You dont get enough spirit to max all youre skills until much later, so you need to chose wich skills are more important for the kind of cleric you want to be.
    Look up a cleric build guide on the forums... it will tell you what skills to lvl etc and what builds there are.

Bottom line is... you dont get enough spirit to lvl all skills so only lvl what you need. Better to have a few maxed skills then all skills at a low lvl
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Anyway, some quests become unavailable if you level too high. So if the lack of skills is causing the character to be so gimped that s/he is unable to complete those quests, dying to stop your level progress and fix your skills may be the right thing to do. It would seem to be a preferable alternative to starting a new character.

A friend of mine was allowing mobs to kill her and when I asked why she said: "I'm leveling up too fast"

I guess it has something to do with what you are saying.
  • Kratos_blade - Sanctuary
    Kratos_blade - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    imo you should be looking at getting some coin first because you will be getting a lot of spirit much later in your levels