BM needs advice from Archer

Options
Granrey - Sanctuary
Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Archer
My problem is the following, when fighting mobs I get killed pretty much only when mobs team up against me. I’m very efficient if I lure them out of the pack.

Since with my current range attack, I still have to get too close to the pack. A colleague BM recommended me to use Bow and arrows to lure mobs and later switch to my regular swords as soon as the mob is close to me.

I tried last night. I took me a while to know bolts and bow don’t work together and which arrow is the right one for my bow and so on.

Since my bow is a low level one, I still have to get close but not as close as before. My dex is 78. What would you recommend for best range? Since, I’m not interested in damage.

I just want to lure.
Post edited by Granrey - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    ummm, not sure what your asking. but all low lvl bows have the same range. so doesn't really matter what you use, your range will be the same.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • guacanagarix
    guacanagarix Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    ummm, not sure what your asking. but all low lvl bows have the same range. so doesn't really matter what you use, your range will be the same.

You gave part of the answer right there, all low level bows have same range.

My stats:

Str:100
    Vit:20
    Mag:24
    Dex:78

Saying that, are there more archer weapons like bolts that allow more range?
  • Advice - Lost City
    Advice - Lost City Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    20 m range is the highest for you BMs. Only archers have a skill that increases maximum range so just stick with your weapon.

Edit:WTF 24 MAGIC? LOL, ONLY 20 VIT TOO?
  • Cyanea - Lost City
    Cyanea - Lost City Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    If I was playing a blademaster, and I wanted range, I would run after I shot.

You can usually kite one normal world monster out of a batch by running 8-10 seconds, attacking several times. Normal world monsters get bored easily, unless you keep hitting them.

If I was using a bow, I would want to deliver enough damage so I could tell if I hit without having to see my damage numbers (or you could turn on damage numbers in your chat window). I am imagining you would want to be attacking something behind you, keeping its interest, and steering yourself so you do not run into trouble.
  • guacanagarix
    guacanagarix Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    20 m range is the highest for you BMs. Only archers have a skill that increases maximum range so just stick with your weapon.

Edit:WTF 24 MAGIC? LOL, ONLY 20 VIT TOO?

My stats are like that but it was due to ignorance more than anything else. However, it has its advantages too which matches my playstyle.

My built is also more based for PVE than PVP.

I will not add more on Vit or Mag anymore, since I feel confortable on HP and MP.

I will explain it short, since I don't want to make a long post.

I find it more fun using a long combo (need a lot of MP, more MAG is needed) with all your skills prior making kill rather than one skill plus single attack. Otherwise, I would have prefered to stay at level 1 killing mobs with 1 skill plus normal attack.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    If I was playing a blademaster, and I wanted range, I would run after I shot.

You can usually kite one normal world monster out of a batch by running 8-10 seconds, attacking several times. Normal world monsters get bored easily, unless you keep hitting them.

If I was using a bow, I would want to deliver enough damage so I could tell if I hit without having to see my damage numbers (or you could turn on damage numbers in your chat window). I am imagining you would want to be attacking something behind you, keeping its interest, and steering yourself so you do not run into trouble.

I want to bring them to the open. I had to many issues at the mines in Archo. I will do more tests tonight.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    hmm not sure what to say but not all spawns are created equal, try to fight closer to the outskirts of a spawn area to pick the mobs that spawn more single then in groups, choosing the area of spawns is very important for every class
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    hmm not sure what to say but not all spawns are created equal, try to fight closer to the outskirts of a spawn area to pick the mobs that spawn more single then in groups, choosing the area of spawns is very important for every class

I rarely die anymore but it still it happens. the most common case was that I would pick a mob and while I'm killing it, another one would spawn close to me (a mob that was not there before). In those situations I have to pick on either leaving the mob or risk death by the second mob.

The range of my drake rake is about 10 m, the bow is 20m. Just by that there is a good improvement in bringing mobs out of the crowd into the to open whithout using MP, where it becomes pray for me.

I'll try it tonight.

1 more question:

if my character if 30m away and I try to attack with bow. He will move closer until he is 20m away from the target. not closer than that right?

Thx for your help guys.
  • DevilCrys - Heavens Tear
    DevilCrys - Heavens Tear Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    You fail as a BM then dude, Use your stuns...Not a bow.. Rofl..Failed.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    You fail as a BM then dude, Use your stuns...Not a bow.. Rofl..Failed.

As long as I don't fail in real life is ok.b:laugh
  • _Arrow_ - Lost City
    _Arrow_ - Lost City Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    the higher lvl a bow is doesn't increase range

you probably think that cuz of an archer's range passive

without range passive, a lvl 1 bow has same range as lvl 10 bow b:laugh
    Infamous (PvP guild) recruiting 40+
    PK/FB/Vent/TS/HH
    PM me on Lost City b:victory
  • Cyanea - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Options
    if my character if 30m away and I try to attack with bow. He will move closer until he is 20m away from the target. not closer than that right?

Yes!

b:cute
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    the higher lvl a bow is doesn't increase range

you probably think that cuz of an archer's range passive

without range passive, a lvl 1 bow has same range as lvl 10 bow b:laugh

I was assuming better bow more range. Thx.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Yes!

b:cute

Thanks for repply
  • XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary
    XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    An archer's bow does not matter, it stil does not affect the range he or she shoots at.

You can only get better range if you have range passive which you are a blademaster can cannot get. So it wouldn't matter if you were the top player in all of PW and is able to afford and obtain the highest equip bow. You'd still go at the same range.

Range passive only applies to archer class.

It was a good idea to use bow for range to lure away from mobs but you'll have to deal with it, surely you can get by without he world falling into utter dispair of hell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MizukiMinoru ll Charisma Executor ll Active
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I recently noticed that I cannot use my bow to lure water mobs as the bow does not keep the 20 m distance anymore. My toon using the bow gets close to the mob as if it was using a sword. This only happens under water.

Question:

Do you need archer skills to make the range work on water? or range fight with bow is just exclusive for archer with no skill needed?
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I have not encountered your problem in water. Make sure you have the bow equiped?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Pockums - Heavens Tear
    Pockums - Heavens Tear Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    In my random wanderings, I have seen a ranged weapon that had +2 to range. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw it, or what level it was or what it's requirements were. That being said, I seem to recall that it was somewhat high levelled, so isn't likely to be an option for the slightly better range. But if I'm wrong, then it might be worth looking into if you want that additional bit of range.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    In my random wanderings, I have seen a ranged weapon that had +2 to range. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw it, or what level it was or what it's requirements were. That being said, I seem to recall that it was somewhat high levelled, so isn't likely to be an option for the slightly better range. But if I'm wrong, then it might be worth looking into if you want that additional bit of range.

windcatcher lvl 88mold xbow
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    windcatcher lvl 88mold xbow

I can only use bow. Thx for the help thoughb:thanks
  • Cyanea - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    In my random wanderings, I have seen a ranged weapon that had +2 to range. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw it, or what level it was or what it's requirements were.

Most +2 ranged weapons can only be used by archers.

However, once you reach level 99, you can use a bow with +1 range: http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/14897