Is It Skill Or Gear That Wins The Fight ?

Options
Cbastor - Lost City
Cbastor - Lost City Posts: 385 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Arigora Colosseum
it is a little of both but ofcourse a person with gears would win cuz im just saying u can be the best BM with all npc gear and go against a nub that pushes buttons with all HH gold refine plus 8 Bm anf the person with the npc gears would most likely lose
but ya its not all about gears or skill it is both im just saying gear comes first
Post edited by Cbastor - Lost City on

Comments

• aliceinsane
    aliceinsane Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Yeah I honestly had a hard time reading that post. Not one comma or period.

Any ways, Yeah you need both, but Skill > Gear. You could have the best gear, but if you dont know what you are doing, you'll lose. Where as if you know how to use your skills and your character, even if you dont have the top armors, you'll most likely win the fight.
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Yall forgot where class/build come into the equation.

I reckon build and class comes first, followed by the type of PvP (Duels, PKing, TW).. and only then can you really think about the gear and skill.

I mean.. a competent BM with good gear stands no chance against a competent heavy armour veno with average gear in a duel.

In PKing or TW though.. sure. They might have a chance.

And so on and so forth.

Oh, and there's a screenie that was floating around the PW-MY forums. An 8jun archer lost a fair fight against an archer with merely good gear. I guess depending on class, skill plays a more important role than gear.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • Xxwarxx - Lost City
    Xxwarxx - Lost City Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Sorry to say but you're wrong. Everix is a decent tank, nothing more. My PvP skills reign over his like GriminflameZ pwned the server. Yet his gears atm allow him to win. When im 7x though or = level to him it wont be so. My gears will be either as good or as close as possible. So therefore its a combo of both, mainly gears until 9x though.
    Forsakenx gunna make mine so be patient =)b:kiss
  • Caldaster - Lost City
    Caldaster - Lost City Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Well dont count out luck too. Whtever be ur gear and skill if u miss and i critic ...... nothing more to add. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Poor thing ... lucky me b:victory
  • shizo
    shizo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Skills, you can take Deity as an example, if you want to know if gear (money) or skills (brain) is better.

Hope that answers your question.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Shizo - Blademaster 9x - Conqueror

Quitted trolling the forums. PM me ingame, if want something

Sig by Sev.
  • Moshie - Heavens Tear
    Moshie - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Well, in my opinion, first to come up with to win a fight is your skills. If you know how to mix up your skills / to use them, you can own whomever you want to, but your lvl and build varies too, so it'll be like this: Skill > Gear > build/lvl.
  • Advice - Lost City
    Advice - Lost City Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    It is gear that wins the battle. I mean if Deity is normal attacking you with +8 GX you're gonna die, regardless of skills.
  • Envy - Lost City
    Envy - Lost City Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    There is very minimal 'skill' needed to win fights in this game. There's basic stuff about your class you should now by 7x about pvp, that is really more common sense/knowledge than skill.

So basically gear > skill, you know, since there is none.
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    phoenix >gear

gear > lvl

lvl > lag

lag > luck

luck> skills

This game is not about skills very much. It gets obvious already at 60+ how to play your class in pvp and its not hard...specially archers...its like pvp easymode. A 2 year old can learn how to pvp with an archer. Thats why other stuff matters more.
  • bobzilla21
    bobzilla21 Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I think lag should be above gear. A person with amazing gear will still lose if they move 5 frames a second. Unless the other person is slower.
    I figured I should do something with my sig, so I made this for fun. My very first (poorly made) animation. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As for why Luffy is murdering Naruto, I have no idea either, but it looks cool.b:laugh
  • Purple - Lost City
    Purple - Lost City Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I didn't even do half damage to another fox person with pure gold HH80 gear before losing a duel...

I also 2 hit an 8x BM by dropping out of the sky and landing under him, and sparking.

But yeah...hax bird, easy mode PVP, dial uppers.... xD
    Wall sniping, ninja tree magic, and medium range artillery. Whine less, please. b:lipcurl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dazels - Lost City
    Dazels - Lost City Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Target Hit Bleed go look for new target b:chuckle
    Ooo I know lets roll pvp server so i can QQ about pking...

Loving Cyprus the weather is Hot the women are Hot and the beer is cold b:victory
  • Tryangle - Lost City
    Tryangle - Lost City Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    This game really takes no skill. Sure there are some exceptions where the person is just a total moron, but other than that. It really comes down to level, gear, and consumables (heiro, damage reduction potions, potions), and who has the most chi at the time.

If you want a game that takes actual skill to win, look at Guild Wars. The primary difference is GW has almost no cooldown of skills, and every skill takes a very short time to cast. In that game it takes timing, using the correct skills, and knowing how to kite properly. In this game, it's all about standing still and hitting one or two buttons until they're dead or you are. And yes, as mentioned...crits/misses completely take skill out of the game.
  • Asgenar - Lost City
    Asgenar - Lost City Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Coding Imbalances beat everything.
  • Xxwarxx - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I've beaten people with legend armor/70 armor and I'm only 66. I even made some barb with XS run yesterday. My skills are good enough but i only have 1 3 star thing in my eqpment.
  • Envy - Lost City
    Envy - Lost City Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    niether skill or gears win the fight

its the pheonix b:surrender
  • potatoeyes
    potatoeyes Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    almost nothing in this game or many of the like require 'skill'

claiming you leveld more efficiently or had a better combo opener,whatever your reason is for why the game does require skill and to whomever it is your comparing to, is just an attempt to rationalize the time you wasted

its so rare that a pvp match on a f2p mmo would require skill, because so many things would have to be deemed 'fair and balanced' for the term to correctly be used

what requires skill in the online gaming world?

examples:
    starcraft: leagues/ladder play
    garena supported games (sponsored dota leagues/inhouse communitys)
    FPS and other RTS games

don't even know how this is debatable
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Luck >> All

Berserk is the best example of this. I can tank a few hits from a BM, but when they get a berserk crit and hit me for 4k, there's not a whole lot I can do about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reeperofevil - Sanctuary
    Reeperofevil - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Yea, I had a perfect example of this yesterday fighting my Wizard friend. He has all legendary/HH gear all refined and beautiful garnet shards in it. Usually I can beat even a LA Wizard that kites and slows me, but he has so much defense it's near impossible to do anything to him while he hits me for about 1-2k constantly. I am level 7x still using some level 5x/6x gear and nothing but my weapon is legendary, so yea I lost hard against him. Now, if I had HH and legendary gear I'd probably whip the hell out of him. Though I digress, Barbarians mostly rely on their gear, seeing as they have very very low damage compared to other classes. Hope that helps you in some way. b:bye
  • Evenixus - Heavens Tear
    Evenixus - Heavens Tear Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    >_> unfortunately it is the gear that wins, which is why you should always prize it over skills lol. Try fighting a wizard, then try fighting the same wizard with full hh90 +8 refines and a +10 wheel of denied fate, result? Tempested for 7k non Crit. :(
  • Xxwarxx - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Options
    >_> unfortunately it is the gear that wins, which is why you should always prize it over skills lol. Try fighting a wizard, then try fighting the same wizard with full hh90 +8 refines and a +10 wheel of denied fate, result? Tempested for 7k non Crit. :(

Sounds a bit like the Deity of Lost City, too bad hes banned now ^^.
  • Merkaba - Lost City
    Merkaba - Lost City Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I say it's the skill that wins. If you really have no idea how to PvP, or just spam random skills at each other than yes, who ever has better gear will win.

Otherwise, it's the skill. I've taken down people that severely out gear me, partially on luck, a lucky crit here or there, but what really saves me is knowing when to hit my Sutras, alter marrows and dragons.