Errm... what do I do now?

Talonstryke - Heavens Tear
Talonstryke - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Barbarian
Hello everyone :). I ran into a problem... of sorts with my Barb. let me get one thing out of the way first. Yes I'm a girl... yes I'm playing a big furry cat that is distinctly male in appearance. My one comment on the male/female thing... who the heck cares, so.. on to the issue :):)

I was following, or have been following the guide here using the tanker build. It has been going great. I seem to have plenty of Hps at lvl 20 (1585 unbuffed). I am using the Smelt Hammers. The trouble is.. that after doing Call of Duty... I take a look at the weapon and.. dang near fell outta me chair :) 61 Str..15 Dex. With my current stats.. it would take me 3 lvls to get the min stats..IF I ignore the build.

Sooo Im asking for tips suggestions on what to do at this point. My current stats are.

Vit 52
Str 48
Mag 5
Dex 12

Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance :)
Post edited by Talonstryke - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• The ferenczy - Sanctuary
    The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    your a tank build. that is good ;) just keep doing what you are doing. IMHO if you have or see a wepon that you want and it is outa your rage right then. just drops 5 point in the stat you need till you can get it. it really doen't hurt to do that. then after you get them just go on back to your building as before.

personally i don't do a 3 poin per lvl this or 2 point perlvl that.
    i just put 5 in str till i have equpt requirements then into dex till that is met. then the rest into vit until i need to start with the str / dex cycle again. i normally have to wait a lv or two to get the latest wepon but i am always right on for armor. i will get my TT axes at lvl 61 in stead of 60 no biggie :) just takes some planing
    one day the world will shout to me save us....
    and i will whisper no.
  • The ferenczy - Sanctuary
    The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    btw nice to see a lady playing a tank barb. i think your perspective on it will be worth hearing :)
    one day the world will shout to me save us....
    and i will whisper no.
  • Talonstryke - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Hi Ferenczy, thanks for the response and the advice. I'll do as you suggest. on that FB19 weapon... you know.. I'm not even sure I want to use it. Yes its all glowie blue .. but the damage has that wide spread to it. 95 to 282. It does have the +17 physical attack and 45 hps. and the 2 sockets

On the other hand, the hammers have a +22 accuracy and are 100 to 150 damage. I still wave them around at monsters and keep them all nice cool and refreshed with my misses :) I think Id rather hit more than fan the really big stick at em. Axes seem ok.. but they have the same sort of low end high end damage that the pole weapons have.

Maybe... I should not worry so much over the weapons? I mean my job is to be the meat wall... others do the damage.

I'm rambling.

So far tho.. I've not been doing any tanking for parties, I assume that comes later which is fine gives me time to reall learn the skills and stuff.
    Ok.. Im done talking lol.
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    The guide is exactly that a guide. Don't take it as law. Its a suggested path around which you can develop your Barbarian. I regularly deviate from the listed figures. For e.g. if my weapon requires 39dex, I will add 1 more point of dex to make it 40 and improve my crit %. Its upto you.

As for planning stats, Just keep in mind the weapon requirements for the next weapon you are planning on getting. Usually it will be after the next 10 levels. Decide how much Str and dex you need to add per level and for how many levels and all the rest point into vit. Believe me its simple and takes me 20 secs to figure out every ten levels and ensures you get to use the best weapon at the minimum level you can get it.

Now to the question at hand.

I see you've been using dual hammers till now. Thats excellent the low dex and hi str req gives you more free points for vit and more pdef respectively. Improved survivability at lower levels. Thats exactly how I did it.

I think the FB19 wep is a good wep. All axes have a lower min damage and a higher max damage. All axes will require almost as much strength and a bit more dex than the hammers.
    Cons: Less points left over for vit.
    Pros: You will have do a bit more damage (on average) and have a bit better accuracy so wont miss as much (though you will still miss stuff until level 60+).

I transitioned to the FB19 poleaxe at lvl21 (2 levels after I got it) and used it till lvl37 where I transitioned to dual axes. Transitioning weapon types is never easy. I spent many levels adding 4-5Str and 1-2dex with nothing to add in vit (didn't feel the need to either really). +Str or +dex equipment helps in the transition but remember you don't want to be dependent upon those stats or else you wont be able to update armours easily either.

I suggest you start transitioning to axes, because once you hit 40+ you will not be able to level purely on quests, and grinding becomes necessary. The axes help grind a bit faster than the hammers.

Plus post level 60 the TT weapons have more axe options than hammers.

And yes you are right. You only really start tanking stuff for parties maybe lvl40+.
    How much damage you can do only really affects how quickly you can grind. In a party your damage is pointless. You keep aggro with skills not damage. I do 10% of the damage a wizard my level does. b:laugh
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Fleez - Heavens Tear
    Fleez - Heavens Tear Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    BLAH!!! no big deal i remember i had so much HP i had to wait like 3 lvls to use my FB 19 wep.
    that just means u will have hp covered for now so dont worry.... i have to play catch up sometimes too.
    ATTENTION ALL: I would just like you to know....I has fleas.
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Personally I like to be up to date on all my weapon stats, all the time. I just find it easier.

But if you feel like skimping on the str/agi and putting more into con, it's all good.

Whatever floats your boat.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • Samsamsimply - Heavens Tear
    Samsamsimply - Heavens Tear Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    for me, i could not use the Fb19 until 20, but, in general, i go ahead and leave myself at least a 5point attribute cushion.

Meaning I will not always allocate all my points. Keep some in the bank so to speak so if something like this comes up, i have the spares to get me where i need to be.

And with the lvl 19 weapon, it doesnt exactly follow the normal str requirements of a normal weapon. If you look at lvl 19 dual hammers you will see that you only need...um, i believe, 43str....compaired to the 61 you need for the fb19.

Just use it as soon as you can. you will prolly get a good 10 levels out of it if you want. Unless something better falls into your lap...personally, I dont have that kinda luck though.
  • Talonstryke - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Thanks everyone for the advice its helped a lot b:pleased

Hazardus- Ya I got it at 19..so its been on the mantle in me inventory. I take out a rag and dust it off occasionally gotta keep it shiny at least b:pleased