are wizards wanted for anything?

Infernalsage - Sanctuary
Infernalsage - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Wizard
hi everyone, just have a question:
are wizards wanted for anything?

i've heard and read from many ppl that you will not you wanted in anything until 80+. just want to verify whether it is true.

i love to deal insane damage, so i picked wiz, but due to their very low survivability, i don't want to be left alone.

it is possible to find parties for, say, grinding, questing, fb, TT and other stuff.

BTW i will only PVE and goin full int build

thanx in advance
Post edited by Infernalsage - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Mosabi - Heavens Tear
    Mosabi - Heavens Tear Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    NO wizards are wanted in absloutly NOTHING except Zhening which will cost you 500k a sitting and other classes will cost them nothing...:) enjoy soloing even though you cant b:victory
    Is Back once more.

sorry med school needs some time.
  • Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    other classes will cost them nothing...

Clerics and Archers have an expensive time during the AoE parties (i.e. zhenning) too as their charms have to be constantly used.
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    VonTerror - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    People always want DD's in parties and that is what you are. You will find it harder then a barb/cleric/bm tank to get in hh and fb's but if you are a friendly person you will get asked a bunch. I get asked daily to do that stuff from people on my friends list. And 60 to 80 almost all mobs are magical so people will love you for being able to wipe them out in a few shots. Yes, it is 100% harder then other classes to find parties, but certainly not so hard that you should stop playing it
    b:bye
  • Master_Shake - Sanctuary
    Master_Shake - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    if we had a useful buff that did something or a useful debuff before lvl 79 then we would find it easier to find parties for TT and such
  • The_Forgoten - Lost City
    The_Forgoten - Lost City Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    if we had a useful buff

What about Frostblade? Thats something.
  • DiFiore - Heavens Tear
    DiFiore - Heavens Tear Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    What about Frostblade? Thats something.

It's kinda meh. Part of the issue is that we can do TOO much damage sometimes. You can actually have to regulate your damage output (artificially lowering it) so that you don't take aggro away from the tank. It ends up being a pain for everyone else if the monster being tanked suddenly switches targets and everyone scrambles to adjust.

Personally, though, I've never really had THAT much trouble being partied. For one thing, it's really great partying with archers. with Will of the Pheonix, their arrow repel skill, and gush you can essentially kill most monsters without them even landing a single hit on either of you once you get a good pattern down.

Just don't be a bad mage; be smart about which skills to use and etc. It still surprises me the number of mages I've seen who don't have/use the right elements or who don't even bother to try and use their spells effectively.
  • Xerela - Heavens Tear
    Xerela - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Excellent on Lost City for other classes looking to boost their kill count.
  • EP_DarkSol - Lost City
    EP_DarkSol - Lost City Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Yes, we are one of the most sought-after classes for death. Everyone loves killling us. :D
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I haven't really had any problems getting into FB's, HH, etc... I'm not asked to come usually, but people will ask who wants to go (from guild chat or something) and I speak up... and never been turned down...

Just get in a friendly guild around your level and you'll have no problem getting into parties :P
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Darkmaggirl - Heavens Tear
    Darkmaggirl - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Fan service? b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm here to kick **** and play card games...and I'm all out of cards.
  • Zdolnoc - Sanctuary
    Zdolnoc - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    In my experience, yes you are going to have a tough time of it finding parties and fb's if you're by yourself. I found that making friends was the best way to get parties for quests and fbs. Try and find someone a few lvls above you who doesn't mind helping ya grind. There are plenty of nice people in game to help out. I know cause I'm one of them. ;)
  • Krel - Heavens Tear
    Krel - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i dunno whats wit the other not being wanted lol..i been in lots of fb's and of course zhens,but i been in more fb's than zhens!I tend to actually take time to help others out when i can and give the sweet ladies of pwi some attention.I love my class but it can have its down times but due to my ideal massive dmg people want me in parties and in fb's...hell most tat want fb's done dont really care what you are..mainly lvl and if u can get the fb done lol!!

Make a back up account and lvl it..if it suceeds in pwning your wiz character then make it primary and your wiz secondary..or whatever.Your not limited to a wiz account forever..

the person posting above me is a wise man and speaks fact.
    LOL the avatars kinda resemble my character but i look alot better.
    I luv my luvsalotb:dirty

Fear Me:I will and can unleash my true demon forum troll from at anytime..so beware.

Im A wizzie with godly looks and your all jealousb:bye
  • Elronia - Heavens Tear
    Elronia - Heavens Tear Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Never had a problem with it, well once when they thought i was too low level for a TT 1-2, there loss i guess. Actually its exactly the opposite for me, perhaps because im a guild leader? Or is it just my charm? Or is it because i can do insane damage, stay alive and i double up as a pretty good secondry healer when things start going wild?
    Im always busy, hardly get much time too just go out an grind for the hell of it.
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    1 wizards can do alot of roles just not as effectively as other classes in other words a wizard can't tank magic as well as a cleric and their damage is not as stable as an archer (steal steal agro more easy)

But in other cases such as Mantavip this happend,

No BMs or Tanks to tank the Mantavip so we needed a magic class,

A cleric healing himself could do it, but a cleric healing a mage thats attacks Mantavip = much much faster killing which was what happend when I needed Mantavip.
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • Elahim - Lost City
    Elahim - Lost City Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I dunno why people insist HH/FB parties are hard to find, I find them just as easily as any other DD. In general DD are wanted more infrequently than EP/WB. As for most people I know they believe that a Wiz is just as good for DD as Archer and would take either. Personally I think the ideal DD combo has one of each. You cant give up the Archer's Sharp tooth arrow, aggroless -16% HP right off the bat is just too good to pass up. At the same time past 79 with Undine I think that a Wiz does more overall dps. Further, frostblade increases the Archer's and Tank's dps (WR's too if ones in pt) it may not be much but it adds up over a long boss. Lastly I know most bosses have some insanely high accuracy but the -50% accuracy debuff of sandstorm with the EA's buff will help save a few hits on your tank which saves them money. Lastly, I dont know how most mages play but I tend to make friends with the EP by watching out for them. If the tank loses aggro on a mob and it starts running at your EP, FoW it! The 4-5 seconds its running away (generally running back towards the tank) lets your EP put up shield and the tank will probably regain aggro on it. Even if the thing aggros you, you have blink and the EP doesn't. I've saved a heck of a lot of party wipes this way and believe me people appreciate it. The biggest thing to watch for is your burst dmg, this is what MG are good at and it kinda hurts if you're not aware, always provide a solid enough aggro buffer.
  • Moog - Lost City
    Moog - Lost City Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    we are a secondary damage dealer to archers, thats about it. No one will want you for hh at all. However you can go to a lot of fbs normally if your high enough level. Because even a high lvl mage can tank fbs 19-59.
  • Sejhia - Heavens Tear
    Sejhia - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    So has development for Perfect World stopped because the game I just left I am (character still valid) a high level player there and even though development is slow changes do get made to address imbalances. So far I get the feeling nothing is being done to address the obvious frailty and non usefulness of wizards.
This discussion has been closed.