New Archer needs advice

Options
darkage
darkage Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Archer
I just started a new archer. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice of how to use an archer.

1) Which part of the bar for "Charge Aim" works best?
2) Should I learn "Frost Arrow" or " Lightning Strike?"
3) When it comes to upgrading stats, which of the 4 I should upgrade (str, vit. mag. dex)? I know dex is one of them, but what else is needed for an archer.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cursedragon - Sanctuary
    Cursedragon - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    1. i just let it fill all the way
    2.id say that lightning strick is more useful than frost arrows in battle
    3.depends on wat build u want, i put 4 into dex 1 into strength for the light armor
  • Fenn - Lost City
    Fenn - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I used mine as a opener and charged it up fully, I would also suggest you get both frost and lighting since there both useful and finally 4-dex and 1-str what I use havent tried other combos but this one works fine.
  • _Arrow_ - Lost City
    _Arrow_ - Lost City Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    1. For monsters let it charge full, for PvP cast/cancel to build Chi
    2. Get Frost Arrow level 1 and Lightning Strike is very good too
    3. 1/Str and 4/Dex is best

Remember that your damage gets cut in half when monster comes close to you.
    Infamous (PvP guild) recruiting 40+
    PK/FB/Vent/TS/HH
    PM me on Lost City b:victory
  • Vestamona - Lost City
    Vestamona - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    There's a newbie guide stickied at the top. I suggest reading that.
  • sinistervii
    sinistervii Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Depends on how you like to play... I'll try awnsering this without giving you a message that sounds like "You must do this."

1. Let it charge all the way depending if its an opening shot or a shot in the middle of battle...

2. Frost arrow depends on your playing style, it's really coming in handy alot of times and is deffinitly the best opening skill for lower levels. It's not really a first priority skill but you can level it 3-4 levels if you wish or keep it level 1. (Although I leveled it to 5)
    Lightningstrike is a very good skill, however it burns your MP so I would avoid using it in lower levels to save MP and money. But you still have to level it though, its a very good not to mention powerful skill.

3. I'd say there is only one way to go. "Pure Dex" (4.DEX - 1.STR each level)
    This one is up to you though, nobody can force you to use this build.
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I am going to come out and say this now... the 4 dex and 1 str every level is the stupiest thing i ever heard. There is no point of putting str in to your stats if your not going to upgrade your armor for another 10 levels. That 1 extra pt could be put in to dex. So go scout out your next armor and put all your points into str a level or 2 before you upgrade. This way you get to ultize all your points, instead of wasting 1 str point each level. Then again, this require some planning ahead, which not a lot of people do. And the 4dex and 1 str is for a pure dex archer, which is pretty much **** at lower lvls. All i can tell you is that magic does absolute nothing for archers. Everything could have its uses.

Str - allow you to wear armor
    Dex - increase your accuracy, damage, evasion, and allow you to use bow/xbow/sling
    Vit - increase your hp

After almost getting killed by a heavy armor cleric, nothing surprises me anymore. Took a shot or 2 before i realize that hes heavy armored.

EDIT: I didn't mean to sound harsh or anything. But giving out dex archer stat (which could be argued to be one of the hardest type to play) to people who prob never experienced archers in pwi just doesn't sit right with me. Since he'll prob just die a lot from the lack of hp. Just build your archer according to your own playing style.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Ormenelle - Heavens Tear
    Ormenelle - Heavens Tear Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    When grinding I use in sequence :

Lightning Strike(5) to say "hellooo",
    Frost Arrow(5),
    Repel Arrow(1),
    Then normal shot until I feel like recasting the entire sequence again.
    As I play a full offense Archer, each level STR+1 and DEX+4 is optimal.
    Equip ranged weapons, claws and light armor.
    Seldom does the mob live long enough to reach contact range.

At higher levels I'll replace Lightning strike by Deadly Shot.

If you want a tanking archer you'll have to rise STR a bit more for good claws and INT to chain cast all your shields. You can try to whisper Nakeda ingame, if you are polite and he's in a good mood he'll give you tips on playing one.

As for putting VIT in archers, I tried, I didn't like. Archers just do not gain enough HP from VIT.
  • sacchin
    sacchin Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I give my opinion on this in the guide stickied at the top of the forum...but...

At low levels, I don't recommend using Take Aim. The damage is completely reliant on your weapon, and you don't get weapons that make it worth using until at least level 60. Frost Arrow is going to be your most mana and time efficient spell to open with.

Level up Frost Arrow however you wish, at least 1 level is necessary. The Lightning spells are essential to be effective in PvP, and are useful for Wood element mobs and anything that comes in melee range (it deals full damage up close). Keep it leveled fairly high, it is useful.

The optimum build for EA is enough Str to wear the next Light Armor, and everything else into Dex. That means (Your level + 4) Str and every other point into Dex. That averages out to 1 Str/4 Dex every level or you can pump Dex until you reach the level of a new armor you want, and add the missing Strength. Also, if you're close to a new critical % marker, it may be worth it to place extra points in Dex as well. Critical is 1% every 20 Dex.

The HP EA gets from Vit is pretty decent, 13 per point, but it just isn't necessary. In PvE, you should have no problem killing mobs before they reach you (barring +HP, +Def, +Speed maybe) and Winged Shell can take care of whatever does reach you.

In PvP, you are meant to do as much heavy spike damage as you can before you die. Other than low levels, there's rarely any solo PK situations. If you get ganked, chances are you wouldn't have survived with that tiny extra HP anyway. In group PK, MG is generally the first target since they are so dangerous if left alone. That means you need to do the spike damage needed to kill people while the MG is kiting. In TW, there's so many people, a few extra HP won't save you from 10 players attacking you, and you need all the damage you can get to kill people before you are killed. By going with the Hybrid Build (1 Str, 1 Vit, 3 Dex), you lose 5% crit as well as a lot of damage, dodge, and accuracy by level 100.

All the HP you will need at higher levels can come from refining your armors and using +HP shards. The minimal HP you are getting by adding Vit won't save you from a MG crit or a zerk crit anyway.
  • nightyne
    nightyne Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I agree with the 4 dex 1 strength....and yes at very low level just use all points on dex until you need the strength for armor.
    Personally I like to use Frost Arrow early...maybe after take aim....because it slows your mob down. Lightning is good later and I use it to finish off a mob when it is badly damaged but getting close.
    Max your Frost Arrow.
    Work out how you like to play and different mobs will require different skills sequence. Make use of macros too but change them often to suit your enemy. If we all played the same way it would be very boring.

I dont pvp so no comment there.
  • BikerBOI - Heavens Tear
    BikerBOI - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I agree 4 dex and 1 str
    i tried the vit also i doesnt work as well but its not bad and
    i love the lightning strike as u go on and u level it u learn that it does do a lot of damage
  • LegoverLass - Heavens Tear
    LegoverLass - Heavens Tear Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    i dont agree with a "hard and fast" set of stats 1str and 4dex will you get you killed real quick ,,, a huge crit rate and low HP hummmm bad idea

build it the way you intend to play the game ,, personally i like my HP MB's cant hold aggro against a high critting archer ( even some barbs cant) you have to be smart with your attacks so ya dont steal aggro too much

light armour ( enough str for ya next level armour )

a handy guide for vit is around 1 vit point for each lvl IE lvl 50 = 40-50 vit ( i know some will say this is too high but i like to stay alive) use citrine HP shards in anything but weapons and add as many refine + as you can afford (to help with HP)

every 20 dex points gives you 1 extra crit % and increses your ranged physical attack ( dont need a genius to work out what an archers main stat is lol )

magic isnt needed at all ... although with elf wings ( up to lvl 30 or if you choose the cheap option of elf wings and maxed flight mastery +2.00 speed ) you will use mana as you fly... and you MP charm will take a beating when using skills so i like my magic in the 20-30 range ( again some will rgue against this but its purely optional)

all your electric attacks are metal based magic attacks ,,, they also hit the same at close range so handy if your mobbed ,,, also 1 is an AOE all your AOE are handy for dungeons when you have a good tank ,,, regularly kill 10-30 mobs in 1 or 2 hits

take aim does more damage the higher you level as your weapon does more damage so the +300% of weapon damage gets quite nice ... untill deadly shot is lvl 6,7 or higher it can still do as much damage plus the ability cut the charge at any time means quick fire/high damage

i never leveled frost arrow ( again personal choice) nor my stuns ( i dont PK so next to useless) although i will level them later with a view on TW

barrage of arrows is almost essential if you intend to zhen ( eats your MP charm lol )

i cud put more but other ppl will no doubt have put similar while i've been typing all this lol and most is in the sticky

at the end of the day it really does depend how you intend to play, i have played almost all the chars and the archer is best all round and most fun so enjoy b:laugh
  • Lcewolf - Lost City
    Lcewolf - Lost City Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    As a lvl 10 archer, I just use Take Aim (charge all the way), then I use frost arrow and do normal attacks. This would probably make the monster about 1/5 hp left, then I run a little and attack again to finish it because I attack stronger at a distance
    Lvl 16 Barbarian-Sacrifice
    Lvl 31 Venomancer-Waffles

I'm going to join Dreamweaver and see how it goes!

RETIRED... Ask MagicZ
  • BloodCountes - Heavens Tear
    BloodCountes - Heavens Tear Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    When grinding I use in sequence :

Lightning Strike(5) to say "hellooo",
    Frost Arrow(5),
    Repel Arrow(1),
    Then normal shot until I feel like recasting the entire sequence again.
    As I play a full offense Archer, each level STR+1 and DEX+4 is optimal.
    Equip ranged weapons, claws and light armor.
    Seldom does the mob live long enough to reach contact range.

At higher levels I'll replace Lightning strike by Deadly Shot.

If you want a tanking archer you'll have to rise STR a bit more for good claws and INT to chain cast all your shields. You can try to whisper Nakeda ingame, if you are polite and he's in a good mood he'll give you tips on playing one.

As for putting VIT in archers, I tried, I didn't like. Archers just do not gain enough HP from VIT.

LOL. A very strange way to grind. b:chuckle
    At my lvl I grind only using frost arrow and from time to time if get attacked from behind I use stunning arrow and knockback arrow. Your tactic seems to be "a mana waste tactic". I've bought no pots since lvl 50 cause I don't need them. If I get buffed by a cleric I get good mp regen and with my "great' waste of mana using only 1 skill to kill a mob I collect money quite fast (no xpenses for repairing or for pots). You better reconsider your strategy. And one thing more - in my opinion u should hardly ever use lightning strike in PVE. Use it when mobs are just near u or when u should kill mobs very fast.
    And one more thing - u mentioned deadly strike. I think at higher lvls take aim is better so it is pointless to lvl deadly strike (just my opinion).
    My people, some of them have run away to the hills
    and have no shelter. No food, no one knows where they are,
    hear me my chiefs, I am tired. My heart is sick and sad,
    I will fight no more....