Tip for grinding on magic mobs

Options
Methuseleh - Lost City
Methuseleh - Lost City Posts: 112 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Blademaster
Grinding as a lvl 60-70 BM can be a pain considering u fight nearly all magical mobs, but I did find a way to make it a little easier. First of all, have a cleric buff u with concentrate and fortified armor (obviously), next equip urself with light armor on ur chest and legs. 3 star would be best but ones from the tailor will do. Now when u fight the mobs, use ur alter marrow magical. The m def. boost u get now will be alot more considerable becuz of the light armor ur wearing and becuz of the fact that alter marrow magical works on a percentage. Also, hopefully u havent maxed alter marrow magical. If u did ur gonna get slammed by the mobs physical attacks since most magical mobs from 60-70 use both types of attacks. Its best to leave it at lvl 3-6. Ur physical defense wont suffer much and u get a big increase to ur m def. Its possible to switch between the two marrows but dangerous. I just keep marrow magical on the whole time. Well hope this helps someone, it did me. I was getting hit for about 280 per hit b4 the light armor and 220 per hit after I started using it. the difference in the magic defense was about 3100 with heavy to over 4000 with light. thats after marrow magical and cleric buffs. pretty simple stuff just thought id share for anyone who may be having trouble. also u can hotkey ur light and heavy armors if u wanna switch between them quickly, say for pvp.
Post edited by Methuseleh - Lost City on

Comments

• Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Are you, by any chance, a pole user? I understand poles can leave you just outside a mob's melee range so they will continuously cycle through their ranged or magical attacks. I can't imagine any other way that this would work.

What I experience with ALL the mobs in this area is an initial attack with magic (which I can avoid by leaping into the attack before they aggro on me or can attempt to cancel with Aeolian Blade). If they manage to get this attack off, it usually does less than 500 damage depending on the mob's level and how the type of magic matches to my equiped defenses. After this attack, if I am in melee range, I have at least 15-20 seconds of physical attacks (doing, let's say 125 each) before they start cycling another magic attack. Unless it is a special mob (increased life or defence), I can get it dead before that one or just as that one is starting to channel, or I can try to interrupt that second spell. Occasionally, I get the death-shot magic attack. But, basically, I have a lot more physical attacks than magical to worry about. Being a little thoughtful about how I engage these mobs means I can expect less than one magical attack to land in any given encounter. Why would I want to take more physical damage to reduce what I can minimize with strategy?
  • Supermanx - Lost City
    Supermanx - Lost City Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    just use roar of pride before attacking each mob, better chance then Aeolin Blade b:victory
    b:surrender
  • Sager - Sanctuary
    Sager - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Or double jump right into him from his back. (Perfectly work)
  • Methuseleh - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Options
    yeah, actually, i am a polearm user and when i fight a magical mob i encounter almost always a constant cycling of only magical attacks so i guess this only applies to them since its easy for any other weapon user to jump into melee range and stay there. Although, polearm or not, it does still have plenty of viability in PvP for all heavy armor users, including barbarians and heavy foxes.
  • Methuseleh - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Also, good luck jumping into flying mobs. (which is what alot of people choose to fight)
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Everything that Bobnut said fits to reality. I may also add from experience that if you don't get the mob dead before second cycle of magic- take a critical look on your weapons. I used to have 3* LV7 Bloodthirsty Blades (still do as backup) which i consider quite good weapons for LV56-60 person. But due to my slight miscalculation on buildup and fact that these weapons were meant for LV56 the didn't get the job done before second magical attack. And for long term it makes grinding a pain.

So, if you are sword fighter, when you hit 61 (could be 60 not sure) you are able to wield TT60 sword. Try your best to get it, it makes just the difference you need. And no they are not too rare just get the mats (all of them available in Arco catshops) get the guild buddy with Lv4 smith skill and have him/her make one for you (or do it yourself).
    What, did you forget to add enough Dex? and LV62 is long way? don't worry go to the auction house and look for belts/rings that add dex. they should not be overly expensive and your aim is simply to boost dex and not show off to your friends. Whatever you will temporarily sacrifice by taking off your old cool ring or belt- your new sword makes it up since you can finally grind again.

I may be wrong on this one but from what I've seen so far- from LV60+ (actually earlier) you need to say goodbye to all cheap or outdated weapons if you're swordmaster.
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    yeah, actually, i am a polearm user and when i fight a magical mob i encounter almost always a constant cycling of only magical attacks so i guess this only applies to them since its easy for any other weapon user to jump into melee range and stay there. Although, polearm or not, it does still have plenty of viability in PvP for all heavy armor users, including barbarians and heavy foxes.

You are probably right at the edge of their melee trigger. Other pole users I've talked to tell me you can step inside the default range where the AI has you stop. I don't know, but maybe the easiest answer is just to mix in a "w" to stay inside the circle...?

Two tricks for avoiding that first magic attack that I did not see mentioned: Sprinting in from behind works similarly to the double-jump - the key is not to be "seen" by staying outside the aggro line while you maneuver to the blind spot. And, arrange to hit newly-spawned mobs so you are inside their trigger line when they come out of their new spawn cooldown. Rememberring spawn points can be extremely efficient.
  • Methuseleh - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Options
    You are probably right at the edge of their melee trigger. Other pole users I've talked to tell me you can step inside the default range where the AI has you stop. I don't know, but maybe the easiest answer is just to mix in a "w" to stay inside the circle...?

Two tricks for avoiding that first magic attack that I did not see mentioned: Sprinting in from behind works similarly to the double-jump - the key is not to be "seen" by staying outside the aggro line while you maneuver to the blind spot. And, arrange to hit newly-spawned mobs so you are inside their trigger line when they come out of their new spawn cooldown. Rememberring spawn points can be extremely efficient.

I find my method faster and easier when fighting air mobs (which is mostly what i fought from 60-66.) cuz with flying mobs its harder to stay within their melee range and u cant avoid the first attack by jumping in. yes true, what ur talking about works better for ground mobs but even if it works better for ground and air, regardless of what anyone says, light armor still has major uses pvp and should be utilized by any heavy armor user. i know ill have a full 3 star light armor set to switch to when i need it during a pvp situation, but if its not for u guys good for u. play how u want.

and if u disagree with that comment ur either uneducated in the mathematics of the game which i doubt or u just plain want to argue and try to prove someone wrong. u cant honestly tell me it wouldnt help to have a light armor set to switch to when facing certain enemies in pvp combat.....go ahead disagree. im sure u will. Maybe i started the thread off in the wrong direction but the main point of the theory, however simple, stays the same : get light armor and hotkey it for the times u must face magical attacks becuz the increase to ur magic defense is that much greater when u use sutra. common sense for some, for others maybe not. but im telling u it makes a huge difference in the magic damage u take, and that is the main point
  • Methuseleh - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Options
    my bad. you guys are from PVE Servers. might explain some things. u never been in many PvP situations.
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    and if u disagree with that comment ur either uneducated in the mathematics of the game which i doubt or u just plain want to argue and try to prove someone wrong.

Easy, there. First, I don't think anybody is disagreeing with the PvP point. It's a good one.

For the rest, I apologize if it seemed like I was arguing at all. I just know that dealing with these magic mobs in the 60s is a royal pain and I was taking your thread as a chance to maybe make life a little easier for someone else. I figure that the more different ways to cope that we can identify the more likely newly 60 BMs find one that works for them. That doesn't mean your solution is not a good one too - particularly for people using pole or who are on LC (where I understand PK ganks in the swamp are another nuisance of hitting 60).
  • Sager - Sanctuary
    Sager - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    my bad. you guys are from PVE Servers. might explain some things. u never been in many PvP situations.
    So in PvE server, we don't have territory war?
    So in PvE server, we can't turn on pk mode?
    So you think PvP is superior to PvE?
  • Methuseleh - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Easy, there. First, I don't think anybody is disagreeing with the PvP point. It's a good one.

For the rest, I apologize if it seemed like I was arguing at all. I just know that dealing with these magic mobs in the 60s is a royal pain and I was taking your thread as a chance to maybe make life a little easier for someone else. I figure that the more different ways to cope that we can identify the more likely newly 60 BMs find one that works for them. That doesn't mean your solution is not a good one too - particularly for people using pole or who are on LC (where I understand PK ganks in the swamp are another nuisance of hitting 60).

i agree. and sorry if i sounded a little confrontational in my last post cuz i do appreciate ur input and im sure everyone else does too. u are right and u actually taught me something i didnt even know so i thank u for that. i just took ur first reply as sarcasm when it probably wasnt meant that way and i took offense. but thnx for the input. i jus wanted to validate my point also