Price Gouging and TOS

Options
Mornelithe - Sanctuary
Mornelithe - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
id like to know if price gouging is against the TOS.

an answer from PW staff would be nice

most specifically im taking about a user buying a a CS item for a reasonably or commonly accepted price from another player and immediately selling it for DOUBLE or higher the normal price

Comments

• Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    They will just say no, that the players set the prices and don't buy it if you don't like it. "Buyer beware"

Thats just bs though, it should be "seller be banned"
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • xtinct23
    xtinct23 Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Ummm...there's nothing wrong with that.

Simple solution for you.....don't buy it.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Options
    xtinct23 wrote: »
    Ummm...there's nothing wrong with that.

Simple solution for you.....don't buy it.

Lies. I watched game econs crash because people did that. There is EVERYTHING wrong with it.b:angry
    Main characters
  • xtinct23
    edited February 2009
    Options
    She's not talking about today's mess. She talking in general...and no, there is nothing wrong with buying something and selling it for more money. Go back to school and maybe you'll figure out how businesses make money every day.
  • Venatori - Sanctuary
    Venatori - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    it will kill the economy, and no i dont buy things for high prices. i know this, but when people star gouging prices i would consider it disruptive to the gameplay of others and to the game economy in general
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Options
    She's not talking about today's mess. She talking in general...and no, there is nothing wrong with buying something and selling it for more money. Go back to school and maybe you'll figure out how busniesses make money every day.

I am talking about in general. No one can ever hope to afford anything when people do that. Don't give me this BS that its normal or right to do that, not when I have personally witnessed the downfall of no less than 4 mmos simply because players did that.
    Main characters
  • xtinct23
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Again, don't buy it. Nobody can make the downfall of an economy by themselves. If someone is dumb enough to pay the higher price, maybe they need to shop better.

Supply and Demand. If someone buys it for 100k and sells it for 200k, what justification do you have to ban them? Because the second buyer was stupid? Think before you post.
  • Mornelithe - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    She's not talking about today's mess. She talking in general...and no, there is nothing wrong with buying something and selling it for more money. Go back to school and maybe you'll figure out how businesses make money every day.

in the real world there are laws against price gouging. ive been through school, what about you? and that is a pretty unethical business practice

target doesnt buy wal-marts goods and sell them for a higher price lol. it doesnt even make sense
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Again, don't buy it. Nobody can make the downfall of an economy by themselves. If someone is dumb enough to pay the higher price, maybe they need to shop better.

Supply and Demand. If someone buys it for 100k and sells it for 200k, what justification do you have to ban them? Because the second buyer was stupid? Think before you post.

Its not supply and demand, it is greed, plain and simple. Buy low, sell high, ban. Or better yet, I wouldn't ban you, I'd strip every character on your account, taking every coin and item they have.

Fact: Reselling drives prices up.
    Fact: New players can never hope to afford anything with the prices being higher.
    Fact: Flyff and Rappelz have died because of resellers driving up prices so high over half the playerbase quit.
    Main characters
  • xtinct23
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I probably finished school long before you were born first of all. Second, there are laws against Monopolies. Any company can charge whatever they want for their goods as long as it is not a government legislated product.

Maybe you should retake those classes.

I'm done with the stupidity in this thread.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I probably finished school long before you were born first of all. Second, there are laws against Monopolies. Any company can charge whatever they want for their goods as long as it is not a government legislated product.

Maybe you should retake those classes.

I'm done with the stupidity in this thread.

You, don't know jack. When mmos fail because of this practice, clearly, something is wrong with doing it. Being greedy should be against the ToS so this game won't die as well.
    Main characters
  • kantorek
    kantorek Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    id like to know if price gouging is against the TOS.

an answer from PW staff would be nice

most specifically im taking about a user buying a a CS item for a reasonably or commonly accepted price from another player and immediately selling it for DOUBLE or higher the normal price

There is no ToS for how much one player is able to sell their items for. A player can sell an item for as high a price as they want, or as low a price they want. We strongly suggest that users be aware of the current and average prices of items before purchasing.
    朱健诚
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Maintenance is my Constant. b:surrender
  • Mornelithe - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Fact: Flyff and Rappelz have died because of resellers driving up prices so high over half the playerbase quit.

some of that is actually gala-nets fault.

i came from rappelz and very recently.

a stamina saver in rappelz is the same as a training esoterica.

but 1 stamina saver in rappelz = $2.00 usd. the gouging there is from the company more than the players.

im hijacking my own thread b:shutup
  • redonyou
    redonyou Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    in the real world there are laws against price gouging. ive been through school, what about you? and that is a pretty unethical business practice /QUOTE]

The next time a catastrophe of epic proportions is threatening your life and you absolutely must, no matter what the cost, in this life or death situation buy those fabulous pink bikini bunny slippers in PWI - then and only then will I consider this a valid comparison.
  • Mornelithe - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    kantorek wrote: »
    There is no ToS for how much one player is able to sell their items for. A player can sell an item for as high a price as they want, or as low a price they want. We strongly suggest that users be aware of the current and average prices of items before purchasing.

thank you very much :)

this thread can be locked if someone wants. it seems like flamebait. i got my answer
  • syrum
    syrum Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    You, don't know jack. When mmos fail because of this practice, clearly, something is wrong with doing it. Being greedy should be against the ToS so this game won't die as well.

1. Fix your stupid signature, if you're that proud of your character, display is properly or not at all.

2. If you feel something is overpriced, don't buy it. Go as far as to tell your friends that you feel that certain person overprices out of greed so they get fewer customers. However, it is up to you as an individual to click buy or to pass on the item.

3. You are asking a question about the ToS... why don't you read it instead of creating a drama thread on the subject.
  • odb
    odb Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options

that has to be one of the most laughable comments i have ever seen. if gold sells for 100k for example and someone is selling charms for 200k and you buy then resell for 400k you should be banned for making money? wow that is just plain idiotic. supply and demand is the basis of the world economy. its no different on a game. as long as everyone as no one has an unfair advantage how you make your money is up to the individual players.
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    kantorek wrote: »
    We strongly suggest that users be aware of the current and average prices of items before purchasing.

Yup, sums it up quite nicely. Makes you start asking a lot of questions when people start paying significantly more than average, and we know that they know the averages. *cough, cough* Mr. GM *cough, cough*
This discussion has been closed.