A Magic/Dexterity Cleric build...

wangnai
wangnai Posts: 2 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Cleric
Greetings all...

As a humble beginner I was curious as to your thoughts (or experience) regarding a Magic/Dexterity build.

With Arcane armor granting us decent defense against magic attacks, it would seem that our main concern lies in physical attacks. That said, wouldn't a high Dex/Evasion not only help with our Crits but also help in not being where the bad guys swings or shoots?

Has anyone ever analyzed the various levels of Dex/Evasion and their influence on the character?

Any experienced thoughts or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

Safest Journies friend...
Post edited by wangnai on

Comments

• Scryxalis - Sanctuary
    Scryxalis - Sanctuary Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Honestly, I don't see the reason why clerics will put something on Dex. O_o
    It is a viable build, yes, but it's not like you will crit as much as archers, you won't miss either because magic attacks don't miss, and evasion is really negligible because it's either you will kite mobs, or get gangb*nged during TW. Miss all attacks from 5 BMs and archers? G'luck :P

Trust me, dear.. If you will roll a robe, better leave the dex. You'll just waste the stats on it, wishing you could've just put it either on Vit or Mag, either of which will increase your survivability and pawning prowess. ;)
  • wangnai
    wangnai Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Thank you for your quick reply...

I'm sorry, I should've mentioned that I only plan on PvE (Heaven's Tear) - I'm not sure if that influences your answer or not. Also, keep in mind that I have no idea as to what mobs await me later on.

Thoughts?
  • DR_bingo - Sanctuary
    DR_bingo - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    if your pve...go full mag
    your ironheart will be more than enough to tank phys combat mobs
    but get +hp and+ phys on your equipment
    don't get +vit things the payoff is really bad
    most mobs are easly killable by this combo
    plume shot ,cyclone ,ironheart
    thats all there is to it.
    set that on a macro and 1 button kill all day long

also with arcaine armor you will be able to tank things that blademasters can only dream about for example the drake in dragon's end
  • Scryxalis - Sanctuary
    Scryxalis - Sanctuary Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    don't get +vit things the payoff is really bad
    Although, in conjunction with HP shards, +Vit stuff is always good. ^^,
    Keep in mind that when you refine a piece of armor, it gives you around +30 HP, so you shouldnt really neglect options like Vitality+3. :) Unless of course, you have +Vit as the only item's option. >.> I'd choose +HP hards over +Pdef, but that's me ^^,
    most mobs are easly killable by this combo
    plume shot ,cyclone ,ironheart
    thats all there is to it.
    set that on a macro and 1 button kill all day long
    Uhm. Kinda overrated? Even if you go full mag, you can't really "1-button kill." There will come a time when you have to kite, make your charm tick two to three times, or cast 5 skills on a target. And as you level, mobs will get more and more difficult. An example of which are Gang Leaders that you get when you're around 6X. Trust me, you'll have to kite them, or hit plume shell for every mob. Gawd, those mobs are annoying.
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    gang leaders? I just ironheart and killed them with plume lol I havnt kited since.... since that heavens wear quest at level 45 lol
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • Nephrael - Heavens Tear
    Nephrael - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    So am I to understand that Dex is completely useless for Physical Defense in PvE and those points would be better served in Magic?

Also, as I won't be re-distributing points later, will a full-on Magic build be the best long term solution? Is this build ONLY useful in a group scenario or is it also "solo-friendly"?

Again, I GREATLY appreciate all your thoughts.

Safest Journies...
  • _WillFire_ - Sanctuary
    _WillFire_ - Sanctuary Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    So am I to understand that Dex is completely useless for Physical Defense in PvE and those points would be better served in Magic?

Also, as I won't be re-distributing points later, will a full-on Magic build be the best long term solution? Is this build ONLY useful in a group scenario or is it also "solo-friendly"?

Again, I GREATLY appreciate all your thoughts.

Safest Journies...

Magic is generally best for PvE. It ups your mAtk and heal. At later levels you'll have equip that up crit % so it's no biggie. Considering you have to spend 20pts to get 1% crit...your points would be better spent in Magic. Evade versus mobs is negligable to non-existant. You just kill stuff faster and heal better. All there is too it. Oh...and your magic pool is larger just in case you get in trouble and have to fire off your plume shell.
    Mark 12:29-37
    _WillFire_ 8x Combat Medic
  • Nephrael - Heavens Tear
    Nephrael - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Thank you friend.

Safest Journies...
  • Ithilmir - Sanctuary
    Ithilmir - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Dexterity is useless for a caster. While it does increase your Crit % every 20 points, you will be gimping yourself because you're sacrificing MAG for that DEX. That's not worth it. Leave the mass crits to Archers, and rely mainly on high base magic damage.