A Meelee Venomancer?

Divine_Demon - Heavens Tear
Divine_Demon - Heavens Tear Posts: 374 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Venomancer
Hey guys/girls i was playing the other day and i saw a venomancer lvl 20 wearing lvl 20 heavy armor(no it wasnt a lvl 50 who thought heavey armor looked cool it was a lvl 20 because i squaded with him/her!) he/her told me that instead of puting points in magic i just put it into strenthg and dex. she thought that if she uses only tank pets she/him could use that pet as a bait and she could do more damage using weapons. she/he also said that she/he(going to say she from now on!) knows that magic attacks from skills do more damage but skills require mana and she doesnt want to buy pots. i personally think that it is not really bad but the venomancers perpose is not meelee but magic. and also im a archer who is thinking of switching to venom because right now there really isnt any reason to lvl no goals. but i love pets and hope on getting a hurcules pett egg. i know there worth like 20 mil! ill just grind with my archer who makes 50k a day until i could get one. ill do crazy stone to lvl up my archer and by the time i get 20mil my archer would be like lvl 60 and i would have finished my archers goal while uptaning the hurcules and btw what lvl is hurcules when you first get it?
"When life gives you arrows give them back ", Divine_Demon b:sin
Post edited by Divine_Demon - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• DivineChang - Heavens Tear
    DivineChang - Heavens Tear Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    LOL a melee veno... they wont last long b:chuckle
  • Celkia - Sanctuary
    Celkia - Sanctuary Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    they are called heavy armor venos
    the are basically fox skill venos with heavy armor
  • aerifyre
    aerifyre Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    If played right, a heavy melee veno can actually be pretty strong.

While you may not get any attack skills to use, you still get the benefits of support skills. The hp/mp recovery spells and the hp/mp swap spell can pretty much keep you at full hp without the need for pots. Thorns helps kill things faster, when you're tanking rather than your pet.

Since you wouldn't be training many abilities, you'd have a rather large excess of SP, and you wouldn't be spending much money on your skills. This lets you have more freedom for equipment and pet upgrades, which is always nice.

They do suffer against magical mobs, but not really any more than your average heavy-armor character. Having a pet to handle adds can be extremely helpful, though your pet heal is kind of wimpy due to low magic - not a huge problem unless it has to tank multiple mobs at once.

To the OP: Both the herc and the phoenix start at level 1 when you get them. They also only eat certain types of food, so make sure to save up a bit of extra cash.
  • Divine_Demon - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    aerifyre wrote: »
    If played right, a heavy melee veno can actually be pretty strong.

While you may not get any attack skills to use, you still get the benefits of support skills. The hp/mp recovery spells and the hp/mp swap spell can pretty much keep you at full hp without the need for pots. Thorns helps kill things faster, when you're tanking rather than your pet.

Since you wouldn't be training many abilities, you'd have a rather large excess of SP, and you wouldn't be spending much money on your skills. This lets you have more freedom for equipment and pet upgrades, which is always nice.

They do suffer against magical mobs, but not really any more than your average heavy-armor character. Having a pet to handle adds can be extremely helpful, though your pet heal is kind of wimpy due to low magic - not a huge problem unless it has to tank multiple mobs at once.

To the OP: Both the herc and the phoenix start at level 1 when you get them. They also only eat certain types of food, so make sure to save up a bit of extra cash.

THx that info is pretty helpful i still dont get the reason for food my venom is lvl 22 and it nvr gives food to pet why is it important to feed pets? i nvr had any probs with it it attakced and lvled as usually nvr disobeyed me or nothing so whats the point?
  • haku
    haku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    food=more loyalty=faster exp gain rate + higher attack=very important things for pets and the veno

at lowest loyalty, the max exp gain for each mob killed is 1, for highest loyalty it's 15. So if the pet need 150exp to level, then at lowest loyalty u need to kill 150 mobs for your pet to lvl, but only 10 mobs at highest loyalty.

Higher damage translates to better aggro-holding ability, which is important for venos with high-damage but low-suvivability builds. For venos with low-damage but high-survivability builds, higher damage translates to faster kills.

In my experience, venos and their pets play like two parts of a whole. if you gimp your pet then you will also gimp your veno.
  • Vidalaire - Heavens Tear
    Vidalaire - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I've seen this build around. I think the OP was talking to a melee Veno not a heavy armor Fox Veno. A melee Veno uses melee weapons and her pet to tank. I know it seems ludicrious, but in fact, there's a veno in my guild that uses Heavy Armor and fights with axes. Seems to work for her since she's a few levels higher than me.
  • Danni - Heavens Tear
    Danni - Heavens Tear Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    haku wrote: »
    at lowest loyalty, the max exp gain for each mob killed is 1

-runs away screaming at the thought of having to kill upwards of 2500 enemies-

Though yeah, this build works okay. I did it my first 56 levels before (reluctantly, I didn't, and still don't, really like the way the fox looks over my character) switching to fox build.

Basically only serious downside is you're crippling any magical ability, pet healing included. While I'm on the subject you'll certainly want a pet capable of dealing damage, whether it hits hard or hits fast, a high damage output from your pet will be extremely helpful.

Actually thinking back to some of the stuff I've heard about how hard starting off as a heavy fox is I'd recommend using this if you want to avoid magic, the first 40 levels were extremely easy for me and I only started running into trouble at around 50 because of certain advantages skills give. (just a thought based off of experience)

If you do want to switch to fox in time I'd recommend using something that requires a lot of strength, but not much dex, since foxes don't need very much dex (about 200% or so accuracy bonus from level 3).If you don't want to, disregard this and continue, it'd be interesting to hear what higher levels are like.
  • DarkReCon - Heavens Tear
    DarkReCon - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Hi all and I cant believe I got a spot in the lineup.. LOL.. If you are talking about LadyTank Devine then nice to meet you all.. LOL.. That is my alt veno char and yes they are dificult to build but last night I almost beat a lvl 42 barb and she is at lvl32 now.. I dueled a 46 barb also for fun and they wanted to see if they could one shot kill me and not even close.. LOL.. only hit with a 204..

I do have most of my atrib in str and the rest split between dex and mag, need to put some in there every now and then to be able to heal pet if need be and with the golums yes they make good meat shields cause they go after them as I am carving a piece of the pie with my DUAL SWORDS (just got them at lvl30). I have figured out the hit counts and between me and my MtSld1 and MtSld2 (names of my magmites) I am averaging between 950 to 1100 per second at lvl31 (just lvl'd to 32 before I got off so havent tested) and if anyone wants I can fraps a fight and prove my numbers.. At 20 it was easier to do then now at 30 cause to keep the ability to heal pet if need be I have fallen behind on the armor so I wont get my lvl30 armor till 33, not sure how damaging that is yet but it is interesting.. OH I do fight alot in foxform also and that is really the only way besides straight melee which now after I have gotten my Legnd Dual Swords seems to be easier.. Ill post a pic of my char screen so you can see the attrib splits and atk./def. numbers..

Danni, I was curious as to what I would run into later in lvls too and you have answered a couple of questions I had.. Thanks..
    Why wont my sig work.. Not kool..
  • Divine_Demon - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    I've seen this build around. I think the OP was talking to a melee Veno not a heavy armor Fox Veno. A melee Veno uses melee weapons and her pet to tank. I know it seems ludicrious, but in fact, there's a veno in my guild that uses Heavy Armor and fights with axes. Seems to work for her since she's a few levels higher than me.

i think i know who your talking about just after i posted this thread i saw a venom who had lvl 78 legendary heavy armor she had a regular meelee weapon. she wasnt a lvl 90 becasue she didnt pick demon or angel but she was to me a meelee venom which is werid im in your server so am i talking about the right person?
  • Vidalaire - Heavens Tear
    Vidalaire - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I'm not close with the melee Veno I was talking about. So, I don't know what her equips are lately. I have nothing against her, but we run in different circles. We just happen to be in the same guild. She uses hammers/axes to attack. Usually goes around barehanded for her magic spells and equips the melee weapon just when she's attacking. Seems to work for her since she one of the higher level venos in our guild.
  • Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear
    Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I have a Heavy Armor Veno. Its very complicated to pull off. Unless you don't wanna be a caster. As long as they have either no weapon or a Magic Weapon so that they can skill, they can play very well in Werefox Form (as almost all of them are mele Physical skills). If they have a realyl good pet they can handle a lot.

I enjoy being a Heavy Armor veno. Its fun and challenging to manage THAT much strength and that much Magic with all that Dex.

Now a Mele Veno is kind of hard, becuase you CANNOT heal your pet without a Magic weapon. o.o; In fact you cannot skill at all without a magic weapon or nor weapon at all in hand. But its still do-able.

Just another perk of beign a Veno. You can pretty much do ANYTHING you wanna do with your character and still pull it off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
    Gwendolynne : 101/SageVeno - Xyleena : 102/DemonCleric
    Delecroix : 101/DemonSin - Anatoxin : 9x/SagePsy
    Raevynne : 100/DemonBM - GotMeTwisted : 8x/SageSeeker
    Deicidea : 8x/Mystic - Diva : 95/SageBM/Retired
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    Sigr - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Just another perk of beign a Veno. You can pretty much do ANYTHING you wanna do with your character and still pull it off.

Try explaining that to the people who see you wearing heavy armor telling you that you have too much str and suck because you didn't go pure mage veno.
    Lament of a Hybrid Veno: Where oh where did my spirit go? b:sad

I hate ranged mobs. b:angry

I <3 my cactopod. b:pleased
  • Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear
    Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    That's an EASY one to debunk. I either get them to challenge me to a Duel, or, I challenge them to one. It's hard to debate when you lose. ^_~

The thing of it is, people will never stop complaining about our class, not ever. In some points I can understand, I have had some run-ins with some EVIL Venos, both on this character and my alts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
    Gwendolynne : 101/SageVeno - Xyleena : 102/DemonCleric
    Delecroix : 101/DemonSin - Anatoxin : 9x/SagePsy
    Raevynne : 100/DemonBM - GotMeTwisted : 8x/SageSeeker
    Deicidea : 8x/Mystic - Diva : 95/SageBM/Retired
  • Amaoni - Sanctuary
    Amaoni - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I have a melee veno that I was goofing off with.
    If you hotkey hammers next to a magic weapon, you can quickly switch to cast your skills (heal pet, brambles, etc), then switch back to att with the melee weapons.
    I forgot if it worked in fox form, I know I couldn't cast the fox skills with the hammers on, but forget if I could attack physically.

It's kinda fun for something different.
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    If you hotkey hammers next to a magic weapon, you can quickly switch to cast your skills (heal pet, brambles, etc), then switch back to att with the melee weapons.
    I forgot if it worked in fox form, I know I couldn't cast the fox skills with the hammers on, but forget if I could attack physically.

To switch into foxform you -need- to be using a magic weapon, on top of that, you cant change your equipment while in foxform(it gets locked).
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009

Can't go into Fox Form with hammers equipped.

• Amaoni - Sanctuary
    Amaoni - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    That's what I thought, been a while since I played that char lol.
    I do remember that I bought a magic weapon with decent phys attack for her before I stopped playing her (at lvl 21).

I think the build was:
    S and M for hammers and magic weapon.
    S and D for heavy armor.
    Rest into S and V.
  • keyshey
    keyshey Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    To switch into foxform you -need- to be using a magic weapon, on top of that, you cant change your equipment while in foxform(it gets locked).

then this means that you'll have less physical attack as well
    on top of that, you can't wear higher lvl magic weapons since you have few mag

does the str compensate for the physical attack of the lower lvl magic weapon?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    keyshey wrote: »
    then this means that you'll have less physical attack as well
    on top of that, you can't wear higher lvl magic weapons since you have few mag

does the str compensate for the physical attack of the lower lvl magic weapon?

I don't know about in fox form, but I do know that my Physical Attack with dual blades has a much higher DPS then with the level 27 pataka, but with melee mastery it might be the same except I'm too lazy to hot key fox form for those magically resistant mobs I hate so much.

"Die, just DIE ALREADY" *sobs* "I just wanted it to die. Was that too much to ask?"

• keyshey
    keyshey Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    but then you won't really be able to take advantage of the fox form skills

i wanted to create one just to try it thats why im asking questions now xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wikkid86
    wikkid86 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Melee Venos can be just as good as Caster Venos. Melee Venos have the Foxform basis, Caster Venos don't usually have the Foxform basis. It all depends on a players Stat Distributed Build. I'm a Caster and I've lost to one Melee I've ever fought. Each build can adopt certain skills of another to greater it's lesser side, and this is a specific thing of liking that makes a good build, a good build. I think most get frustrated early without understanding what could be of good use, then have their concentration and desire derail off path of what they might have been hoping, wanting, and looking forward to. I know this because I was one of those people but than I stopped stressing over the time spent into the making and realised that there's nothing really wrong. To my understanding the only fatal move one can do to them self in this situation is to go all out and try to choose each skill they see.
  • lionette
    lionette Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Haha, I'm one of those weirdos you speak of xD It originally started as a n00b mistake on my part since I wasn't really paying attention. When I first started, my mind worked like this: "Hmmm...Barbarians and Venomancers... those must be the same thing!" and I figured that the only difference was that one was male, and one was female. Eventually, someone asked me why I was using an axe and heavy armor...and that's when I realized all the others were using magical weapons. After this, since I didn't have a reset note, I figured "Meh. Why waste the points I already used?" and continued on with what I was doing.

Now however, I'm starting to be annoyed with the challenges of playing this way...but I have no idea if I will get the same benefits if I reset my points than someone who started off normally DD:
  • bunnyhunny
    bunnyhunny Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    That's an EASY one to debunk. I either get them to challenge me to a Duel, or, I challenge them to one. It's hard to debate when you lose. ^_~

Wouldnt it be easy to Kite a veno that uses melee weapons and has no attack skill to use? I'm sure its not too hard to kill a mage veno that just stands there and casts while you melee them to death .. but what about the art of Kite? it just seems too easy to kill one. I kite the real tank classes in the game and avoid stun lock.. so what can a sword/axe/hammer/whatever weilding veno do to me that they cant. nothing right?
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    bunnyhunny wrote: »
    Wouldnt it be easy to Kite a veno that uses melee weapons and has no attack skill to use? I'm sure its not too hard to kill a mage veno that just stands there and casts while you melee them to death .. but what about the art of Kite? it just seems too easy to kill one. I kite the real tank classes in the game and avoid stun lock.. so what can a sword/axe/hammer/whatever weilding veno do to me that they cant. nothing right?

Good luck kiting a good veno, we have a speed buff that lasts for 5 minutes that we never do not have on. I run at a constant 6.7 and can outrun the fastest mounts if I want.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91