To Keep this from happening again

Klaxton - Sanctuary
Klaxton - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
So if in the future we get a similar glitch that allows exploiters to inject millions of extra coin into the economy and inflate gold and everything else beyond belief here's a few ideas.

1. If the price of gold on the exchange goes up 2 or 3 times(e.g. from 100k to 300k) in the course of an hour or so. Freeze it and stop all the trading. Then look at who was buying all that gold and how much coin they have. (I think, or hope at least, that stock markets in the real world have similar triggers for when the market goes down to fast)

2. If the number of items in the auction house being bought goes up a certain percentage beyond what is normal, freeze that too. I didnt see it, but read that anything worth buying got bought and that the AH got emptied out.

3. If the amount of coin in circulation goes up significantly in a short amount of time. Well, I dont know what you'd do about that, but it would be a pretty good indicator that there is a money exploit.

This isnt a solution to our current rollback/no rollback problem, but it would let the GM's or somebody know there is a problem much sooner so that we wouldnt be talking about erasing a day's worth of grinding like we are now.
Post edited by Klaxton - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Omg you go on and on, dont you?
    Tell me what will you lose at lv51 if there will be a rollback??
    Please tell me LMAO cause i am lv51 so i want to know??

Just to let every one understand what you are telling them:
    -**** game for months is worth of not rolling back for 15h

And about your points:
    1st-so much work, so NO
    2nd-LOL no
    3rd-lets say 10 ppl sells or spend all their coins/gold make a fair amount of profit and game stops so GMs can see whats going on = again NO

Personally i think you made something today that is why you are against the rollback.
    b:dirty
  • Klaxton - Sanctuary
    Klaxton - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Uh, did u even read what I wrote? I didn't say anything about being against a rollback, or if I did I didn't mean to.

I didn't log in today until people were already talking about insane gold prices in the WC, so I did nothing until they kicked us out. My point was that if they did something like what I was suggesting they would know there was a problem much sooner.
  • Wyeth - Heavens Tear
    Wyeth - Heavens Tear Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited February 2009

And about your points:
    1st-so much work, so NO
    2nd-LOL no
    3rd-lets say 10 ppl sells or spend all their coins/gold make a fair amount of profit and game stops so GMs can see whats going on = again NO

Personally i think you made something today that is why you are against the rollback.

Wow kid you really need to lay off the sugar
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FroozeBow - Heavens Tear
    FroozeBow - Heavens Tear Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2009

And about your points:
    1st-so much work, so NO
    2nd-LOL no

Yeah a little crabby there aren't ya?
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    You can be sure that we've learned from this experience and will put a series of checks in balances in our patching and testing process. Once again we apologize for the inconvenience guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Crabby yeah, kid no.
    Making any things like suggested is to damn hard, so again NO.

Easy going rollback + fix, and non of the above wont matter
    Not to say that a "game guard" would be the best option to prevent things like this.
  • Wyeth - Heavens Tear
    Wyeth - Heavens Tear Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Crabby yeah, kid no.
    Making any things like suggested is to damn hard, so again NO.

Easy going rollback + fix, and non of the above wont matter
    Not to say that a "game guard" would be the best option to prevent things like this.

Or you could just stop with your pointless posts...can barely understand the point you are trying to get across....oh wait, you dont have one??

just shut up....let the GMs handle it....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aerilius - Heavens Tear
    Aerilius - Heavens Tear Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    xarfox wrote: »
    You can be sure that we've learned from this experience and will put a series of checks in balances in our patching and testing process. Once again we apologize for the inconvenience guys.

I just want to let you know how refreshing it is to have a mod/dev team that respects players and communicates directly with them on an often-casual basis.

Thank you.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    So if in the future we get a similar glitch that allows exploiters to inject millions of extra coin into the economy and inflate gold and everything else beyond belief here's a few ideas.

1. If the price of gold on the exchange goes up 2 or 3 times(e.g. from 100k to 300k) in the course of an hour or so. Freeze it and stop all the trading. Then look at who was buying all that gold and how much coin they have. (I think, or hope at least, that stock markets in the real world have similar triggers for when the market goes down to fast)

2. If the number of items in the auction house being bought goes up a certain percentage beyond what is normal, freeze that too. I didnt see it, but read that anything worth buying got bought and that the AH got emptied out.

3. If the amount of coin in circulation goes up significantly in a short amount of time. Well, I dont know what you'd do about that, but it would be a pretty good indicator that there is a money exploit.

This isnt a solution to our current rollback/no rollback problem, but it would let the GM's or somebody know there is a problem much sooner so that we wouldnt be talking about erasing a day's worth of grinding like we are now.

What makes you think they didn't see a problem before 15h and that there were people trying to figure out a solution? You really should give them more credit than you are. Seriously.

Oh, and for something like this, a roll-back is the only solution, and even if they had shut the servers down earlier, it would still be the only viable solution.

I won't even pretend to know when they figured out there was a problem because I don't, and I doubt you do either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • samasalao
    samasalao Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Lets say that one GM while editing the info of the new fashion items, he probably was ordered to change the sell to npc price of all of them from 1000 to 3000, due to rush (Maint. is done late at night) he made a mistake and changed the price from "1000" to "10003000", (He probably was tabbing fast doing copy - paste), what happens? economy ruined, ppl buy the fashion items with gold to get insane amounts of coins back by selling it to the npc that allows them to get gold for more items etc.

Thats what I think that happened and is mere speculation of my part, how to fix that? I am really sorry to say it but it seems like a human mistake, we are all humans and we all do mistakes, I'm afraid that against human mistake there is nothing that can be done. I just hope that this mess does not cost the head of a GM, and that everything can go back to normal soon.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Is there a point of speaking to you?

Yes had my own servers thnx, both game purpose and education.
    Unfortunately no where in lines of a MMO, still find it easy to "rollback" some info and fix a problem then to try fixing it while it is malfunctioning.

On other hand, there are PPL who pay them with real cash, to make in game coins, ever think how messed up they are now?
    Their choice i know, but still.

So spare me the comments
  • Miss_Seducer - Heavens Tear
    Miss_Seducer - Heavens Tear Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    so there's a roll back going on??? i'm confused lmao
  • Miss_Seducer - Heavens Tear
    Miss_Seducer - Heavens Tear Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    if theres a roll back man ill be pissed lol i have to re buy a shaodu cub :"(
  • Jessup - Heavens Tear
    Jessup - Heavens Tear Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    All I know is that 8 hours of my real life grinding is really important to me so I won't be here if I have to do that all over again.

I have another MMO I Pay for hehe
  • AngelBabyy - Heavens Tear
    AngelBabyy - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i think PW should have like.. 2 hours of good xp, my last game i played did that, i was x2 xp, or sometimes x2 spirit ( as you guys call it ^^ ) it was pretty sweet. was called "Happy Hour" you guys should take it into concideration