failed Hero

Granrey - Sanctuary
Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
Well, since my last event last weekend in which I was helping a barb. I decided to be more cautious prior helping somebody, since I do not want to be accused of stealing kills. However, I still think I failed in two occasions in the same day.

1) I’m at the mines at Archo and I see this player fighting two mobs. I failed to see his life points. So, I decided to kill the mob behind him and check the life points left on the other mob. Well, I killed the mob behind him and I see the other mob only has about 5% of life points remaining. So, I decided to move on.

After couple seconds, I still see the mob life bar on my screen.. Guess what?, I turned back and the player is dead. He had some message on his corpse:”somebody…….” Seconds later, somehow the player revived on the same spot. I still don’t know how. If somebody can tell me how he pulled that off (aside from a revival scroll).

2) The second case is a guy fighting a Torbin Sentry and I see both of them have “equal damage”. Since, I think is dangerous but at the same time I do not want to steal the kill. I just helped doing couple hits on the mob and moved on.
Seconds later, I still see the life bar of the mob on my screen. Guess what? I turned back to see and this other player is also dead.

Guys, what am I doing wrong? lol
Post edited by Granrey - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Bandages - Sanctuary
    Bandages - Sanctuary Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    maybe by you attacking that mob, you're causing the mob to rage more and thus increasing in power? something like what the hulk does...

or, the other player stopped attacking so they can type to you to either say "thanks" or some other words that are not so nice in nature and thus, getting them killed.
  • Hildeborg - Heavens Tear
    Hildeborg - Heavens Tear Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    When you were young and your heart was an open book
    You used to say life and let life
    (you know you did, you know you did you know you did)
    But in this ever changing world in which we live in
    Makes you give in and cry
    Say live and let die
    Live and let die
    Live and let die
    Live and let die

Someone who dies versus regular mobs of the same level has his character so badly built he should consider rerolling a new one, and this time read the guides found on this forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009

Someone who dies versus regular mobs of the same level has his character so badly built he should consider rerolling a new one, and this time read the guides found on this forum.

Based on my short experience, I can say that in some levels you struggle with the mobs at your levels. In some levels you go easily.

For instance as a blademaster, I had a really tough time at hill of the swarm and wallen stronghold area. Dealing with the mobs there were difficult.

Same situation happened initially when I moved to Archo. Dealing with gouls, trees and cats was complicated. Same at the mines in Archo.

Same situation when I move for a bit to Orchid Temple.

Since, I had no good friends/guild. I did some stats/skills **** ups in hill of the swarm and wallen stronghold to survive those levels. Even though I think my stats/skills work fine for my playing style, I might be regretting that in the future as many people have recommended.

But in some instances, it becomes too easy as you learn how to combo/upgrade your skills, your own playing style and you get good friends/guild. Seeing other players you learn to lure and bring the mob to the open, away from the pack.

From level 28, everything has been too easy on me. I’m currently considering stopping upgrading my skills since I’m doing well so far with the ones I have.

Since, about level 30, I’m killing about 2 and in some cases 3 mobs without meditating and using very few pots.

I guess at your level you only regret the initial mistakes you did at very lower levels.
  • Pharse - Heavens Tear
    Pharse - Heavens Tear Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I agree that you should be able to kill any monster at your lvl with ease. I usually look for mobs that are 3-5 lvls higher than me to kill. Dying isn't always a bad thing. You lose xp but you don't lose spirit. That being the case, you can upgrade your skills easier.

The only thing that really seems to hurt me bad is fire. I hate hate hate fire.

If you see two mobs teaming on a person and you go to help then you are just a nice nice person. Congrats. If they die they die. You can't save everyone. If you are someone who wants to save people then play a cleric.
  • Hildeborg - Heavens Tear
    Hildeborg - Heavens Tear Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I guess at your level you only regret the initial mistakes you did at very lower levels.
    I did none :)

Not that I'm a wise woman or a Character-Fu guru, mind you.
    I just have a deep hatred for inefficiency, so I simply do what everyone using Internet should master : read the help, read the guides, use google, RTFD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009

I just have a deep hatred for inefficiency, so I simply do what everyone using Internet should master : read the help, read the guides, use google, RTFD.

Congrats. I played the game and I came to the forums after. LOL
  • The ferenczy - Sanctuary
    The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    ok to the op the insite in to barb life for you

lvl 1 - 20 strong like bull. slow to kill slow to die.
    lvl 20 - 30 bad times :( you have to meditate every mob.
    during these lvls you need to kill 1 on 1 and meditate after wards every time.
    lvl 30 + you *depending on build* get birsts of super man. all the sudden your armor works beter your skill deal enough damage you can take on more than one mob and live.

IF A BARB IS FIGHTING MORE THAN ONE MOB check his life if it looks like it is suffering then toss him some help. if he looks like he is doing fine then walk off and sing some wings as posted above.
    and remember when you look at his life bar don't compare it to yours. if his life is at half then it is prolly about the same as yours at full. especially if he is in tiger form.

personally if you see me in tiger i have 7k to start with and i prefere to fight 2-3 mobs at my lvl when i have to fight at my lvl. but then most of the time i am killing in the swap of wraiths. *note my lvl* and that means one at a time and i just jump into the next one with out rest. as a barb with out any real stud ability you get used ot fighting more than one since alot of mobs will kite you into gangs of others if you don't lean group solo tactics you die period.
    one day the world will shout to me save us....
    and i will whisper no.
  • The ferenczy - Sanctuary
    The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    sorry for the ramble my kids are bugging :)

any way you seem like you got a good heart and way to much guilt.
    one day the world will shout to me save us....
    and i will whisper no.
  • Seablue - Sanctuary
    Seablue - Sanctuary Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Barbs usually don't die. Throw them a roar if you're worried.
  • Jandira - Sanctuary
    Jandira - Sanctuary Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited February 2009

I'm glad that you make no mistakes with your character. Others aren't so lucky. I'm a cleric and fighting mobs on my lvl can be a challenge. Same lvl, I can usually handle just fine, even 1-2 lvls higher tho... I end up having to use my healing skills to get myself through. Which works for me as I have that ability.

But for some, playing, researching, learning the game is not something that comes naturally. If you read enough of these board posts, you discover that. Which, is why we turn to those people who make no mistakes to show us the error of our ways.

So thank you.

And for the original poster of this thread, if you were to help me, I'd thank you. And if I died after you helped me, I'd probably feel even more like a noob idiot and the next time I saw you in the same area as me, I'd ask to squad!
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    I'm not lucky,

Yesterday, somebody asked me to squad. So, I can help him killing "ant soldiers". The player was level 19 or 20.

Well, I said of course I'll help you. The first thing I told him was: "pick the pray and I'll support you".

He said: "ok". However, after killing two mobs he thought it was too easy and he decided that we should remain on the squad but kill ants on our own.

Against my best wishes I agreed to that. Well, the player got killed in the first mob that he fought on its own (LOL). At least, he had a resurrection scroll and was able to return to the same spot.

Guys, what am I doing wrong here? LOL
  • Nomaad - Heavens Tear
    Nomaad - Heavens Tear Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited February 2009

He won't necessarily have to re-roll, but a reset note may be in order?
  • Coviana - Sanctuary
    Coviana - Sanctuary Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    He won't necessarily have to re-roll, but a reset note may be in order?

Resets don't recover the spirit spent on inappropriate skills, leaving you unable to kill mobs of your own level... The only thing that can fix that is spending so much time killing mobs below your level, that you could have just started over and overtaken yourself - or, you could just reroll and start over. In my experience, most of the problems come from buying skills that look useful but aren't - not from misplacing the attribute points that can be reset.
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Reset is not the issue. He just needs to learn to run whenever Granrey is nearby. That guy is clearly cursed. People die around him.

Seriously, though, Granrey, you have to stop worrying about this. Toons die a lot in this game and you just happen to have it happen a lot around you. If it really bothers you, though, you should roll a cleric.
  • The_Forgoten - Lost City
    The_Forgoten - Lost City Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Being an archer I am forced to run when I have multiple aggro.b:sad So, whenever I see someone with a crapload of aggro and they are still fighting I call them foolish to myself and move on. :P I know, I am a mean person.
  • Nayiro - Sanctuary
    Nayiro - Sanctuary Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Being an archer I am forced to run when I have multiple aggro.b:sad So, whenever I see someone with a crapload of aggro and they are still fighting I call them foolish to myself and move on. :P I know, I am a mean person.

I'm foolish for AoE grinding D:
    Damn ;~;
    Back.
  • StellarAshes - Heavens Tear
    StellarAshes - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2009

Aim low on the higher hp target, frost arrow/kb arrow on the lower target, add in a bit of kiting and charge-less take aim and you should be able to take out both fairly easily. Or you could just kite and target one, eventually, assuming that it can't reach you and you don't hit it, the other mob will deaggro.

@OP: You honestly can't expect to help people who don't try to help themselves. I'd rather think of it as a learning experience for them, either to not run into big mobs/pot early/kite/whatever. Sheltering them forever isn't going to do them any good in the long run.