Barbarians take too long to kill?

Granrey - Sanctuary
Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
I saw a barb fighting a torgirn sentry, as soon as he started another torgirn came up and started attacking the barbarian from behind.

Well, after waiting for a while (asking myself if I should help him or not, since the barbarian could be doing this on purpose. Who knows?) since in my case as BM I basically get killed when mobs team up against me. I decided to help; I killed the mob that was attacking him from behind and sit down to meditate while the barb is still fighting the same first mob. Notice, the mob I killed had 0% damage when I started fighting him.

At the end I notice I could kill 3 mobs while he can only do 1. Since we were at similar levels (since I was doing the same quest).

How long does it take a barbarian to do a quest in which he needs to kill 50 mobs of the same kind? Probably 3 times as blademaster?

I wonder it might be pretty tough to do quests like collecting drops from mobs due to how long it takes to barbs to make a kill.

Or was this guy not playing his character properly?
Post edited by Granrey - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Guelo - Heavens Tear
    Guelo - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    He probably pumped all his stats to VIT and little or none into STR. Explains lasting long but killing slow b:victory
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    It should not be that big of a difference. I have a 4x barbarian that is a pure tank build and even grinds in tiger form (which is supposed to be the slowest of all). It does not take noticeably longer to do quests than I remember it taking as a blademaster. Some of that may be that this is the second time around so I know more of what to do, but three times as long does not sound right.
  • Neomccoy - Heavens Tear
    Neomccoy - Heavens Tear Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    tank build barbs really doesnt do much damage. they wont even invite me to fishing party when i was around 80 coz i dont kill fast enough b:laugh
    -retired-b:bye
    9x WB, Tao

Jermaine 83 Sin - retired...
  • drebykins
    drebykins Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Every class has pros and cons. Barbs may kill mobs a little slower, but they are needed for anything big.

PvE grinding speed is basically about pumping out the most damage in limited time. If Barbs were any better at DD, they'd be a bit imbalanced IMO.
  • The ferenczy - Sanctuary
    The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    to the original poster yes to all of your questions yes.
    yes we take for ever to kill 3x as slow as you
    yes we take for ever to finish quests 3x as long as you
    yes we take for ever to die 3x as long as you.

no he wasn't playing his char wrong. i often will grab 2 or more mobs at my lvl *the ones i can handle* and attack them and fight them at a time. WHY!? because if i do them one at a time i find that bm/venos/wiz/clerics/ every one will swoop through and kill off the mobs i need. generally ppl let me keep the mobs i am fighting and let me do my thing when they see this.

and my build was pure tank but now that i am about to finish up the skills for it *to thier needed lvl* i am gonna start to level my aoe skills.

and don't bother flaming that barb aoe sucks. we have more than any other class i know of.
    one day the world will shout to me save us....
    and i will whisper no.
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Actualy what you are spposed to do is party the barb and help the guy finish his quests, 20 levels later that barb is going to be the only guy that can tank TT/bosses for your quests.

Moral of the story, help out the barbarians! There is never enough of them on the server and finding tanks is harder than getting bugs fixed nowdays.
  • scionofchaos
    scionofchaos Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    You should always help barbs you see for the reason already mentioned. If you don't you will be left standing there asking "Where are all the tanks?"
    and don't bother flaming that barb aoe sucks. we have more than any other class i know of.

I have seven AoEs. Reason I like a barb to round them up so I can put them down.
    Do not walk behind me, I will not lead
    Do not walk in front of me, I will not follow
    Do not walk beside me, This twisted road I must walk alone
    edited February 2009
    honestly as a tank i always politely refuse to party when i am on a kill quest or a grinding session.

i feel like an ancor tied around a partys neck due to my slow killing. and more than that i like my own exp and drops on quests. but if you ever see me getting my **** handed to me PLEASE JUMP IN i will thanks you as best i can.
    and i will whisper no.
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i feel like an ancor tied around a partys neck due to my slow killing.

Not sure why you would tbh. Yes, my Cleric kills way faster than you, but if I solo, I get hit by monsters and have to face a nasty repair bill afterwards. With you on board, I wouldn't. So even if I'd score 2/3 of the damage output, your presence is still very beneficial for me.

If a party member's value would only be based on damage output, everyone would play a Wizard. Fact is - everybody is needed and valuable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    yeah every one is valuable is the correct way of thinking but unfortunaly this game is apparently filled with 5 year olds. i have been yelled at and refused squad so much that i as a base rule refuse to party till some ones say basically i need your help pls. then i help as best i can.
    and i will whisper no.
  • Anomandariss - Heavens Tear
    Anomandariss - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I am a barb, I train in the so called "normal" form and by build is 3 STR, 1 VIT and 1 DEX. I lvl up only 6, most needed skills.

If 2 or so mobs, 1 lvl higher/lower than me, attack me, I won't die, as it happens quite often. Still, they drain quite a proportion of my HP, and since I use only my "normal" form to do quests or grind, it doesn't take me such a long time to kill a mob.

My point is, it depends on the bard himself.
  • Rustie - Heavens Tear
    Rustie - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    As a cleric I love questing with barbs, they take the damage I can put in a few plumes to kill faster they normally get the majority of drops but hey
    they have the huge repair bill.
    Bonus most are way friendler then most bm's <no ego boosting>
    and I get a free ride back to Arch!
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    I agree everybody is valuable on this game. My next character will probably be a barb due that there are too few of them as you say here.

Yes, I could kill at least 2.5 to 3 mobs while that guy is killing just 1. I just recall that I did not write my post properly. When I saw the barb fighting the mob, the fight had already started. So, I’m not sure exactly when he actually started doing the killing.

I just remember when the other mob started attacking him from behind.

Anyways, I have been in squads with barbs in 3 or 4 occasions (at similar level as mine every time).

The squads work really nice with barbs since they can take constant damage while I do the killing. However, I did not notice how long it takes them to kill on their own. Only, when I saw the case that I mentioned. What I hear from them sometimes is: “Can you buff?” and since I know the meaning I buff everytime.

As BM I prefer and like to squad with barbs than we any other class since archers are annoying because they move the mob out of my range every time with that move skill they have. I think they like to see me chasing the mob.

I do not prefer to squad with Venos as I cannot target the mob, because their pet is too big or the flying pet moves from one mob to the next faster than me.

The remaining classes cannot take damage at all. Every now and then you hear: “some little help please”. I have never to this date asked for healing, not even in FB, since they always tell me not to attack the boss. So, I do not steal agro when fighting bosses (So, I do not get any damage).

At the same time you always need to squad and any help you get is appreciated from any class or player. But as mentioned I prefer to squad with barbs than any other class.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    honestly as a tank i always politely refuse to party when i am on a kill quest or a grinding session.

i feel like an ancor tied around a partys neck due to my slow killing. and more than that i like my own exp and drops on quests. but if you ever see me getting my **** handed to me PLEASE JUMP IN i will thanks you as best i can.

But, when you turn them down, you might be leaving them in a bad situation?

Some of my friends die, repeatedly, when trying to complete their quests.

I sometimes party with them, so I can try and keep them alive. But unless I am willing to die, myself, I often have little I can do when things go bad. And when things go bad, sacrificing myself usually would not be enough. (And I usually am cowardly enough that I do not die very often.)

I can only kill things. And, so very often, I feel useless because of this. Everyone can kill things.
    archers are annoying because they move the mob out of my range every time with that move skill they have. I think they like to see me chasing the mob.

We usually have knockback arrrow in our combows because without knockback we would get hit too often, and die too often. And I usually edit my combos when I am in a squad. But I sometimes do not edit them early enough and early on I did not even think about this stuff.
    edited February 2009
    as far as leaving them in a bad spot *here comes a personal rant*
    if you just send a randome invite cuz you need help and don't introduce your self fist it's on you i am not a public use mind reading tank. every one see's fit to ks and igore and refuse to hlep a tank in need and then demands strong tanks when they see fit to aknowledge them. do you know how many times my quests that are already 3x as long as yours and 3x more expencive *more hits mean more repaires and pots* gets made even longer just so you can do your thing faster and easier?

Ok rant done.
    and i will whisper no.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    By the way, What are the chances that I did wrong helping the Barb?

Since he could be atracting mobs on purpose.

Next time I should ask first?
    edited February 2009
    ok back on track you guys seem really nice i wish i had met more ppl like you earlier on in game. *then there wold be less debate in my head as to if i should ever play this game again when i fix my computer*

typically if i get a request for help as much as i hate my self for it i will jump right over and do it. this leads to me running fb's with broken equipt. using up all of my pots and money to fix my stuff and gimping me on my grind.

but random invites ..... neeever. i am so bogged down and drained from helping every one else and losing money and exp that i just refuse and then give the message in common chat "sorry i just need the exp and drops from this." then "if you want buffs come here and squad i will buff hp and attack".

then i wait for 30 secs and go on with my day if they don't accept.

if that is throwing them to the wolves then they should be having the same debate as me namely *is this game how i want to be spending my time?"b:bye
    and i will whisper no.
  • Lirinala - Sanctuary
    Lirinala - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Like many people have said, every class has its uses. As a veno, or the "solo class" as everyone refers to me... I tend to get overlooked. IE "What do you want a party for? Go solo, stupid veno." Even more so, for bosses... Why would you want a veno when a barb/cleric combo can do it as better... I personally love partying with everyone. I love barbs. Those big heavy tanks allow me to send out my DD pet, and nuke with wild abandon. Same with Clerics, Wizards, and Archers. Have my pet hold aggro for them, while they blast away. Combine my forces with a Blademaster and the mobs drop fast. Put a veno beside me, and the pets are in the spotlight.

Barbs are not my cup of tea. I can't play as one, so I applaude those of you that do. Yes, I know that you're going to kill things slowly, I apologize that you have an extremely steep repair cost, but unless I have several venos beside me, or the mob is a caster, bosses just suck for me. Your big, bulky, body is the only thing standing between me and becoming dinner. Just because you take a long time to kill it doesn't mean that you're useless. If everything was meant to die quickly, we wouldn't get that warning every time we get a boss quest to "Find some friends to help. It's dangerous." And that would defeat the point in playing an MMORPG, wouldn't it?
    Proud owner of a support veno and attack cleric.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    As a veno, or the "solo class" as everyone refers to me... I tend to get overlooked. IE "What do you want a party for? Go solo, stupid veno." Even more so, for bosses...

HA HA HA HA HA. I have not heard that one but it is funny.

However, on your class favor I have seen you guys can do really well solo. I see you guys use one pet to lure and another to kill.

If the killing pet has been ignored by the mob and the mob is coming at you. You guys simply summon the pet again close to you.

It can't be better than that.
  • LongThan - Sanctuary
    LongThan - Sanctuary Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i have no idea why it bother u guys so much, why cant u guys get over it and get along? or maybe it just easy for me get along with people?b:faint
    edited February 2009
    i like you guys if you ever need tank in game gimme a holler. no charge :)
    and i will whisper no.
  • Lirinala - Sanctuary
    Lirinala - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    HA HA HA HA HA. I have not heard that one but it is funny.

However, on your class favor I have seen you guys can do really well solo. I see you guys use one pet to lure and another to kill.

If the killing pet has been ignored by the mob and the mob is coming at you. You guys simply summon the pet again close to you.

It can't be better than that.

I'll be honest, yes, we do solo quite well. But it doesn't mean I prefer it... The longer I take to do a quest, the more I have to feed my pet, the more it costs me in the long run. I know that yes, "It's only 52 coins", but that starts to add up. I just did a quest to kill 50 mobs of a much higher level than me. Not only were the mobs far and few between, I kept getting aggroed by the ones that spawned on me as well as the other mobs. Total cost after all had been tallied: About 65 waters, as well as the potions I used to keep HP and MP up because I couldn't take the time to meditate. Not as costly as say... A tank class, by any means, but it still hurts the old pocketbook... Especially as I'm trying to save money to upgrade my faction... Every last coin I have to spend to survive is one less coin I can put to good use. So, while I could pretty much solo everything, and yes, let's admit it, if anyone can, it's venos, I'd much rather fight with someone on those harder quests.

As for resummoning the pet idea... Yes, it's a good idea in theory, but in the time it takes you to actually summon the pet again, you WILL get hit. It's not as painful for me as a Light Armor Veno, but for some robe wearers.... They're almost gone from just that one shot. Especially since it takes time for your pet to actually get aggro. You have to run, hoping you don't find another mob, while telling your pet to attack. For me, however, the instant something gets in range... Unless it's an FB mob, and then I'm out of there no matter what... I switch to Fox Form to take the hits and deal out damage of my own.

Which reminds me of a trick for venos I wouldn't mind passing on. Some people already know this, but you can heal another veno's pet. Big deal, right? It is if you expand upon it. Get enough venos, and a pet that can take 2 or 3 hits from a boss, and you can all tank behind a single veno's pet. Throw your weaker pets at it so they don't take aggro, and bosses die fast. The only problem with this is AoE bosses. Since they hit all healers in range. But then again, with a proper balance of Veno to Cleric... You're almost invincible. Just FYI to the venos out there.
    Proud owner of a support veno and attack cleric.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    I'll be honest, yes, we do solo quite well. But it doesn't mean I prefer it... The longer I take to do a quest, the more I have to feed my pet, the more it costs me in the long run. I know that yes, "It's only 52 coins", but that starts to add up. I just did a quest to kill 50 mobs of a much higher level than me. Not only were the mobs far and few between, I kept getting aggroed by the ones that spawned on me as well as the other mobs. Total cost after all had been tallied: About 65 waters, as well as the potions I used to keep HP and MP up because I couldn't take the time to meditate. Not as costly as say... A tank class, by any means, but it still hurts the old pocketbook... Especially as I'm trying to save money to upgrade my faction... Every last coin I have to spend to survive is one less coin I can put to good use. So, while I could pretty much solo everything, and yes, let's admit it, if anyone can, it's venos, I'd much rather fight with someone on those harder quests.

As for resummoning the pet idea... Yes, it's a good idea in theory, but in the time it takes you to actually summon the pet again, you WILL get hit. It's not as painful for me as a Light Armor Veno, but for some robe wearers.... They're almost gone from just that one shot. Especially since it takes time for your pet to actually get aggro. You have to run, hoping you don't find another mob, while telling your pet to attack. For me, however, the instant something gets in range... Unless it's an FB mob, and then I'm out of there no matter what... I switch to Fox Form to take the hits and deal out damage of my own.

Which reminds me of a trick for venos I wouldn't mind passing on. Some people already know this, but you can heal another veno's pet. Big deal, right? It is if you expand upon it. Get enough venos, and a pet that can take 2 or 3 hits from a boss, and you can all tank behind a single veno's pet. Throw your weaker pets at it so they don't take aggro, and bosses die fast. The only problem with this is AoE bosses. Since they hit all healers in range. But then again, with a proper balance of Veno to Cleric... You're almost invincible. Just FYI to the venos out there.

Yes, that trick is correct.
    I have actually seen a pet being healed by several venos.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I tanked Yan the Traitor with my golem using 4 venos to spam heal.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • RazMan - Lost City
    RazMan - Lost City Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Do Barbs level slower? I personally do not think I do, I have several other classes in my guild that were around the same level as me when I joined. Currently I have kept up in level with most of them, and some of them are even lower level then me currently. And I have a few things that should prevent me from leveling up as fast.

1. I actually end up playing a lot less then some of them as I am working most the day.
    2. I am a PURE tank build, all extra stats go into VIT.

In truth I grind and do quests mostly in regular form, but lately I have been using tiger form to help cancel magic mobs spells on me as they FREAKIN hurt.

I spend a lot of money helping others with FBs and Bosses, but I really don't mind as I became a Barbarian in order to be helpful to my friends and guild. Barbarians really are not that bad in the long run, you just rally need to know how to play them and level your skills.