To Craft or To Buy?

d0pey
d0pey Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
Hello all, I'm currently playing a full dex archer and I find that it's really hard to umm, save up enough money for mats, skills, heiros etc.

As I have currently all my manufacturing skills at level 3, I was wondering if I should buy gears instead, like good ones from AH or from the cats. or making your own equiptment is better? I won't mind leveling up my Blacksmith and Apothecary skills, and maybe even Craftsman...

But seriously, as mats are going at such insanely high dollars in-game and they really will make me go pennilessb:surrender I am really wondering if i should make stuff or buy gears? Which is better? Farming is an option but some mats don't drop often b:cry Would be glad to seek out opinions from ya guys! b:thanks
To act is to live.
Post edited by d0pey on

Comments

• Gonzu - Heavens Tear
    Gonzu - Heavens Tear Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    The more you craft the more you can sell to other players = $$$

Buying other peoples crafted gear = always losing money

I agree that it takes some time before crafting becomes really profitable but it's like that in all MMOs.
  • Flauschkatze - Heavens Tear
    Flauschkatze - Heavens Tear Posts: 998 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    maybe you should focus on one job; I'm only doing blacksmith and get along with it well.
    ~~Inactive~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to Torhn for coloring!
  • Gonzu - Heavens Tear
    Gonzu - Heavens Tear Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, stick with one crafting skill and level it up to level 5 and then choose another and level that up to level 5 but not before you have made atleast one million coins with your first crafting skill.
  • whitescars
    whitescars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    even though i'm quite new to the game i would say crafting

i have made my own armor, swords and a bow and the the stuff you make can be better that you can buy, with higher strike point per blow, and +'s for HP MP as well and getting sockets,

one armor i made has 2 stars 3 sockets and + 23 accuracy as well as +202 physical defence instead of the normal 153. which is a real bonus at my level.( doing my FB19 today !!)

the more you craft at the same level the better the items seam to get, and if u collect rather than buy mats, you can earn coin from selling the items you don't need
  • d0pey
    edited February 2009
    Hmm. seems like making my own stuff is the upperhand from alla your answers.. I shall craft.. and craft then! Thanks peeps =D
    To act is to live.
  • Malibu - Heavens Tear
    Malibu - Heavens Tear Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Not sure how far your expierence is with lvl 3 say blacksmith, but if your still grinding exp for it note to get lvl 4, you'll need special 2 star items to turn in for a quest.

Might save you some cash to try to build what you need for this lvl 50 quest while also getting the craft exp for it as well..

Path of the Blacksmith
    System message upon reaching level 50 if Blacksmithing skill is level 3

1. Speak to the Elder of Archosaur (570, 648) Archosaur, East
    2. Speak to Blacksmith Tang (563, 682) Archosaur, North
    -Reward (Exp: 500)
    3. Continue on to quest "Step 2"

Step 2
    -Continued on from quest "Path of the Blacksmith"

Obtain the following:
    -10 Refined Steel (Farmable from Manganese Iron Mines. Some locations: [392, 868]; [328, 813]; [305, 876])
    -Two star (**) Sawtooth Blade (Requires 12 Purified Oil, 3 Yellow Jade and 3 Copper Bar to craft)
    -Two star (**) Ornamental Bow (Requires 12 Rough Fur , 3 Yellow Jade and 3 Copper Bar to craft)
    -Two star (**) Heretic Banishing Pataka (Requires 13 Silk Thread, 3 Yellow Jade and 3 Copper Bar to craft)

1. Report to Blacksmith Tang (563, 682) Archosaur, North
    -Receive Intermediate Blacksmith Skill
    -Reward (Exp: 2000)
  • d0pey
    edited February 2009
    Thank you :) I've already knew what are the weps needed for level 4 blacksmith. What really trouble me the most are the pricing of the mats... No matter how long I farm, they're still not enough. Not to even speak of selling the extra items.. unless I've reached level 4 blacksmith =D
    To act is to live.
  • blo0dyyay
    blo0dyyay Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Well, crafting has its downside, you never know what is the outcome. aka you could end up with an equipy which is worse than the npc's while you spend like XXXXX mats
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    d0pey wrote: »
    I won't mind leveling up my Blacksmith and Apothecary skills, and maybe even Craftsman...
    I find myself using Blacksmith and Apothecary far more than the other two.

Since weapons change so often, it's nice to be able to craft decent, but not awesome, 2star weapons on a regular basis. And being able to craft things like Life Powder / Focus Powder and such allows me to kill monsters quicker without burning through my HP and Mana charms too quickly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • kuvats1
    kuvats1 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    So Two Star weapons are random ?
  • Devilmages - Sanctuary
    Devilmages - Sanctuary Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    so should i just make an alt and get the low lvled mats thats needed at like 20 but wont drop?cause icant lvl my blck smith without really burning my cash but selling the weps help :D
    i like pie
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    One of the rumors Duke Blacke gives, is which crafter if lucky. If you use that particular crafter he lists, you will usually craft 2* and 3* gear. Though higher lvl gear (80+) areas don't have that happen often.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • MissHeron - Dreamweaver
    MissHeron - Dreamweaver Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Buy, no doubt about it. Example, to craft light armor you need to use like 6 rought furs which on its own costs 50k, not to mention other components. For 50k you can buy almost any light armor on auctions up to lvl60, i crafted 14 items yersterday 2 of them had bonuses, one of them being 10% less requirements. So i wasted like 600k to craft those items, and all i got was - nothing, i cant sell them to anyone. + if you really want to craft your stuff you can ask guildies for favor, which means you dont have to spend 2-3m on lvl4 quests.
    Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you.
    William Blake
  • Legendadry - Harshlands
    Legendadry - Harshlands Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    it pays of at higher lvl's for example to subistute for HH armor while ur farming to get it. but only buy mats for crafting if you have to. if ur buying the mats you might as well just buy the gear form AH too. Only buy if you cant get that mat at ur lvl. Like the compound oil you need to get lvl 5 Blacksmith and lvl 5 Tailor. Compound oil only drops from lvl 57 mobs =/. but imo it's worth it at higher lvls because unless you have an unlimited source of subs and a super great guild. it's gonna take you a while to get your full HH set
    I dont level Slow I just enjoy the game b:surrender
  • Lightaine - Dreamweaver
    Lightaine - Dreamweaver Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Um... Use quest rewards and monster drops?
    hai2u