Dealing with people having stupid names.

Options
124»

Comments

• Shaye - Lost City
    Shaye - Lost City Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't invite him either, lol. Typically people with those kinds of names are pretty reta.rded and would only mess you up anyways. If I see someone with x's in their name (xXxnarutoxXx) or the same letter repeated in a row (warrrrrrcannon) or anything to do with cats (SweetMissKittyMeow), it's like...instahate. Sad but true. xD

Mind you, that's how I felt about dddddfunLOL. When he joined RQ, I was like "who the **** invited that ****?". But now he's a 9x mage and amazing at pvp. <3 If I remember correctly, he'd just chosen the name because he'd thought he was just gonna play PW for a couple days, not taking it seriously. Somehow ended up where he is now.
  • varenian
    varenian Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    People with strange names always tend to be the "annoying beggy I need help all the time" types..I try to be civil to anyone regardless, but I do get annoyed. I don't voice my annoyance though. I try to just ignore it. Whether I will party with them, I dunno. It depends how they ask.

I hate when people will type to me things like "plz nd hlp cn u?" To which I usually walk away.
  • Lelanii - Sanctuary
    Lelanii - Sanctuary Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I'd have to say I don't appreciate that much, I'm neither a "dude" nor into cyber. There's nothing "****" about my character.

Yes I think that's a **** name, mostly do to the fact that you named it that specifically as an insult to the class. Yes there are a lot of guys that play venos, and sure there's a lot of cyber out there, but that 90% is quite the generalization don't you think? I feel an urge to post "invariable" generalizations about males now, but that wouldn't be fair to all the guys out there who aren't clueless.

has anyone ever told you that you dont have a sense of humor? because if not id like to be the first. it was a joke... like funny ha ha... i think this is a concept that seems to excape a lot of people on this forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lelanii - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    No, But you've only been around for 17 levels. Majority of players have no idea you exist yet. Give them time.

i know ha ha its just weird coming from a game where everyone knows you to a new game where everyone ignores you. kinda like going to a new school... im working on it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Omegasteel - Heavens Tear
    Omegasteel - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    This question is not directed at the GMs at all - but at us, normal members. Because I'd be honestly curious what your stance towards that is and how you personally view it.

Today a guild group went to kill a (pretty nasty) boss. Our team wasn't full, since we were high level enough to kill him anyway. There was a random sitting next to that boss who wanted us to invite him. He had an incredibly stupid character name (which I will not quote in order to respect the person's privacy), so we decided not to take him in. We killed the boss and he went furious (of course).

We usually take anyone in if we have room - just in this particular case, we agreed not to. My stance is that if people chose a stupid name it's their own decision (and the GM's to tolerate it or not), but it's mine whether party up with them or not. And if your char and/or guild name is overly stupid, I won't.

So, I'd be curious if you guys would act similarly or would not care at all. Discuss!

I think what we're talking about her is if peoples names are offensive, then be it judgemental or not, it may be indicitive of an attitude or demeanor that we are not willing to entertain. A name is how someone represents themselves in game and I think we all know the kind of names we're talking about. If someone had an offensive name, I don't want to speculate what kind of chat I will receive if I team with them.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    This question is not directed at the GMs at all - but at us, normal members. Because I'd be honestly curious what your stance towards that is and how you personally view it.

Today a guild group went to kill a (pretty nasty) boss. Our team wasn't full, since we were high level enough to kill him anyway. There was a random sitting next to that boss who wanted us to invite him. He had an incredibly stupid character name (which I will not quote in order to respect the person's privacy), so we decided not to take him in. We killed the boss and he went furious (of course).

We usually take anyone in if we have room - just in this particular case, we agreed not to. My stance is that if people chose a stupid name it's their own decision (and the GM's to tolerate it or not), but it's mine whether party up with them or not. And if your char and/or guild name is overly stupid, I won't.

So, I'd be curious if you guys would act similarly or would not care at all. Discuss!

Their name was an _, not a stupid name as you claim (names that don't exist cannot be stupid because they don't exist). You further claimed you withheld the name to "respect their privacy" while mis-representing what they did. Did you simply not wish them to not be able to tell the story from their p.o.v? I find it reprehensible and irresponsible to be insulting and mis-represent someone else simply because you didn't like their, or in this case, lack-there-of, name.

Seriously, what is wrong with you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vagnard
    vagnard Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Just in case one doesn't read the Beginner's Guide here

http://pwi.perfectworld.com/guide/misc

Please make every effort to create a name that is not inappropriate or offensive to other players. Players that do not follow these rules will be banned at the discretion of a GM.

You should NOT request to change your own name. If you feel your name does not follow any of the rules below, you should delete it immediately. Any request for a personal name change will be ignored. Repeat requests will result in a permanent ban.

Names should not include any of the following:

* - Impersonate PW Staff, moderators or anyone affiliated with PW Entertainment.
    * - Profanity or obscene words.
    * - Direct Harassment (For example, naming yourself BobSucks.)
    * - Promote other games or advertise products.
    * - Racial/ethnic remarks.
    * - Sexual references such as diseases and body parts.
    * - Gibbersh (For example, names containing random letters and numbers such as ffjvubjr or 3vj32j23.)
    * - Personal information.

*** Similar names, reverse names and misspellings also apply to all of the above.
  • Lelanii - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    What about names using letters that look like another letter like the word black but using a capital I for the l? that annoys me. I'll be trying to spell the name to pm the person or something and realize theres a stupid letter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hildeborg - Heavens Tear
    Hildeborg - Heavens Tear Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    When that happens, right-clic / copy name.

Then, you can whisper him/her with copypasta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wanyudo - Lost City
    Wanyudo - Lost City Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    do you think your name is smart? Can it read and write?

what the hell....?
  • Yugoslav - Heavens Tear
    Yugoslav - Heavens Tear Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    don't see whats so stupid about a name "nothappy", seen a lot of stupider names than that (including all those xXx_XxX stuff, "angel this - angel that" and Mirko69)..

If you Ignore someone out of your own stupid/selfish reasons - the least you can expect is some poison in his words.. and than to call that person a hypocrite, well, nobody's perfect, have you took a look in the mirror lately?

Didn't think so...
    b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - sneering at the world is better than barking at it anyday -
  • Vhuntrd - Heavens Tear
    Vhuntrd - Heavens Tear Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    vagnard wrote: »
    Just in case one doesn't read the Beginner's Guide here

http://pwi.perfectworld.com/guide/misc

Please make every effort to create a name that is not inappropriate or offensive to other players. Players that do not follow these rules will be banned at the discretion of a GM.

You should NOT request to change your own name. If you feel your name does not follow any of the rules below, you should delete it immediately. Any request for a personal name change will be ignored. Repeat requests will result in a permanent ban.

Names should not include any of the following:

* - Impersonate PW Staff, moderators or anyone affiliated with PW Entertainment.
    * - Profanity or obscene words.
    * - Direct Harassment (For example, naming yourself BobSucks.)
    * - Promote other games or advertise products.
    * - Racial/ethnic remarks.
    * - Sexual references such as diseases and body parts.
    * - Gibbersh (For example, names containing random letters and numbers such as ffjvubjr or 3vj32j23.)
    * - Personal information.

*** Similar names, reverse names and misspellings also apply to all of the above.

Most of the name rules I can understand, but how can you tell if a name is truly gibberish? I've run into people who get my name, but it might seem like nonsense to people who don't get the reference. Just because a name doesn't mean anything to you, doesn't mean it is completely meaningless.

Heck, there's a newscaster where I live who doesn't have any vowels in her name. If she created a character here, would she be accused of using gibberish?
  • vagnard
    vagnard Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Beats me, that's a direct copy and paste job from the site. I'm assuming it's targetting possible coin farming bots that most other mmo's have running rampant. And I doubt GMs would take a step to ban someone just because they don't understand another person's name.
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I was in plume dueling some people and a guy named " yesimgay" came upto me and called me hubby and started flirting with me :( =( >=O :((
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    don't see whats so stupid about a name "nothappy", seen a lot of stupider names than that (including all those xXx_XxX stuff, "angel this - angel that" and Mirko69)..

If you Ignore someone out of your own stupid/selfish reasons - the least you can expect is some poison in his words.. and than to call that person a hypocrite, well, nobody's perfect, have you took a look in the mirror lately?

Didn't think so...
    b:chuckle

I really don't want to be mean, but you could have at least read the thread before posting. Your post might have looked at lot less uninformed and a lot less stupid that way.

I will give you a hint, the person's in-game name wasn't "nothappy", that's his forum name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lelanii - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I was in plume dueling some people and a guy named " yesimgay" came upto me and called me hubby and started flirting with me :( =( >=O :((

Couldn't you just report that as sexual harrassment? b:scorn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    has anyone ever told you that you dont have a sense of humor? because if not id like to be the first. it was a joke... like funny ha ha... i think this is a concept that seems to excape a lot of people on this forum.

I'm not going to argue with you about my sense of humor or lack thereof. Perhaps the thing that escapes a lot of people on this forum is that they just aren't funny.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • Lelanii - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I'm not going to argue with you about my sense of humor or lack thereof. Perhaps the thing that escapes a lot of people on this forum is that they just aren't funny.

Well I thought it was comical... props to fuzzles and drazo! dont let these no fun havin forum crabs ruin it. b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nayiro - Sanctuary
    Nayiro - Sanctuary Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    i like my IGN
    It original :3
    Back.
  • Everon - Heavens Tear
    Everon - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    completely agree with that thread. the stuff should implement a rule especialy for the roleplay servers dedicated to a minimum respect of other role playrs.

PS : even my mules are named properly b:shutup
  • Hildeborg - Heavens Tear
    Hildeborg - Heavens Tear Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Those are NOT roleplay servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mistigris - Heavens Tear
    Mistigris - Heavens Tear Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I generally won't exclude someone from a squad because of their name unless it's offensive. I see a lot of sexually-suggestive names and while I'm not a prude, this is an all-ages game. I find those sorts of name offensive given the environment (they're usually stupid too, but that's beside the point) and would not squad with them or invite them to my faction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    images by ForsakenX
  • Pabadlong - Sanctuary
    Pabadlong - Sanctuary Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I would say it should all boil down to respect. Especially if you're the one asking for favors (like joining a squad, or asking for help/rez), then you should respect them if they turn you down or ignore you.

If they help you then good, if they don't then it' still good. Just go find somebody else willing to help. Just don't forget to thank them once you're done =) I see other players leave the squad once they're done w/ their quests and that's not cool.

People will always give "yes" or a "no" answer even if you have the nobliest of intentions.
  • perplexity
    perplexity Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    uzzdaar wrote: »
    I disagree I don't take retarted people with retarted names .. if they can't come up with better than "yourmom" or "dddddddfun" thats just sad.

Also I would love to join the movement to have names regulated. I mean come on some are just plain offencive.

I find the fact that you butcher the English language offensive, so I'm going to start the movement to have ******* like you educated before you're allowed to post.