-Channeling or +%crit?

glooms
glooms Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Wizard
I was just wondering if its worth getting around -30% or so channeling from accessories and weapons. Especially rings, -3 to -6 channeling? Or +1-+2% Crit?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by glooms on

Comments

• Kikuzakura - Sanctuary
    Kikuzakura - Sanctuary Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    +30% channeling gear can increase your average damage by almost 43% (1/0.70) this would also increase your mana burn by almost 43%.

+2% critical hit gear can increase your average damage by almost 2% with no increased mana cost. Also, this damage gets added on to an existing hit which can matter in PvP where people with charms can have incredible recovery capabilities but might also have low enough overall health to be completely killed by a critical hit.
  • glooms
    glooms Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Another thing is that if I was to focus on -channeling items, I'll be missing out on all the other bonuses like +hp, magic, vit etc :s. As for increasing my damage and mana burn, I don't really see a problem as I'll grind faster in a shorter period of time? :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DiFiore - Heavens Tear
    DiFiore - Heavens Tear Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    glooms wrote: »
    Another thing is that if I was to focus on -channeling items, I'll be missing out on all the other bonuses like +hp, magic, vit etc :s. As for increasing my damage and mana burn, I don't really see a problem as I'll grind faster in a shorter period of time? :/

Well I mean if you're only going to use it for grinding (where consistent damage matters a lot more than a sudden burst unlike PvP) then by all means get the -channel.

I think most people aim for either/or because it can be pricey to get two different sets of gear.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    +30% channeling gear can increase your average damage by almost 43% (1/0.70) this would also increase your mana burn by almost 43%.

I don't think it is even close to an increase of 43% because it's -channeling time and not the full time of the spell. For example, gush has a 1.0s channel time and a 1.0 cast time meaning a total of 2.0seconds before you complete it. This brings the total time to 1.7s which does not equal an increase of 43% damage. Correct me if I am wrong, but critical seems more beneficial over -30% channel time. For one, you'd have to sacrifice a lot of equips to get near -30% channel, whereas you could get +1 or +2% crit on 1 or 2 equip/s.

Edit: I think I got something wrong here... gush can't get lower than 1.0s total time because cast is 1.0 and channel is 1.0... I assume they do not add up (or do they)? I'm a bit confused now

For example, a spell like GS has a 2.5s channel and a 1.8s cooldown... that means its maximum benefit is -28% chan time (which is 0.7s)?

Either way, -chan time items aren't worth the sacrifices imo.
  • Kikuzakura - Sanctuary
    Kikuzakura - Sanctuary Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I don't think it is even close to an increase of 43% because it's -channeling time and not the full time of the spell. For example, gush has a 1.0s channel time and a 1.0 cast time meaning a total of 2.0seconds before you complete it.

You are correct: some skills do not benefit from reductions in channeling time. Other skills do benefit, but might not fully benefit (for example, glacial snare can only benefit from -28% channeling).

I should have said channeling gear can increase your damage rate, but might not.
  • frenzi
    frenzi Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Not to mention staple skills such as sandstorm have a fixed cooldown, further reducing the use of -chan items.
  • Calibix - Heavens Tear
    Calibix - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    So uhh, does anyone else besides me realize that -channel has nothing to do with cooldown?
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I'd imagine that most people realise that.

Although humanity does continue to surprise me every day.
This discussion has been closed.