Do You Like J-Pop or J-Music?

Options
AlaskanShade - Heavens Tear
AlaskanShade - Heavens Tear Posts: 51 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Off-Topic Discussion
Anything Japanese basically....I like the song Shining Collection.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by AlaskanShade - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Vhuntrd - Heavens Tear
    Vhuntrd - Heavens Tear Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    There's a lot of good music out of Japan. A couple of my favorites:

Asian Kung Fu Generation
    Garnet Crow
    Do As Infinity
    Megumi Hayashibara (extremely prolific)
    Orange Range
    Flow

A couple of these bands have broken up though.
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Asian Kung Fu Generation, Yui, Aya Hirano. That's... pretty much all I ever listen to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NaoShimai - Sanctuary
    NaoShimai - Sanctuary Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Ohhh, Japanese music, this is one of my favorite topics! I love music (not just Japanese) but I could talk all day about JMusic.

I used to listen to Ajikan (asian kung fu generation) but most of their songs started to sound the same to me. And I used to like orange range, but their music kind of started going down hill, in my opinion after Onegai Senorita. However, their single Ikenai Taiyou was good.

Do you guys like j music artists who aren't often featured in anime theme songs? These bands are good, no doubt about that, but there are many more artists who are out there too.

I'm not a huge Jrock or Jpunk fan. I prefer J hip-pop. Amuro Namie is my favorite artist, currently. Her new album Best Fiction had all of my favorites hits by her, and a great new song called Sexy Girl, it's catchy =P. Also, I am in love with KAT-TUN, probably for entirely superficial reasons, but they also have good music. Check out ' Don't U Ever Stop' by them sometime.

One band I'd like to reccomend who often gets over looked is Bennie K, It's a duo of two girls, one raps one sings. I'd reccomend Sky or Monochrome from them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Deculture~!^o^
  • Ence - Lost City
    Ence - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    disclaimer: Anything Bolded, I like ;p

Bennie K is awsome xD

Queen of JPop - Ayumi Hamasaki
    Though Namie Amuro is giving her a run for her money...

Utada Hikaru is a favorite of mine as well...

DBSK (Touhoushinki) is very very talented ... (OKOK Korean but they sing Japanese songs)

Uverworld and ONE OK ROCK are my favorite JRock bands. Both amazing though ONE OK has that more "rock" feel that I like, Uver has the sweet combinations that makes me love em more.

The Pillows are awesome too though...

Mihimaru GT -One girl, one guy. You like the hip-hop Japanese style, they're good to listen to...

Monkey Majik...two white brothers and a couple Japanese guys..singing Japanese. Awsomeness.

And if you mention them, you should also know about the Yoshida Brothers. They are insane musicians...

M-Flo seriously weirds me out with his clothes sometimes but I enjoy the music too.

Ohohohoh and Hyde - him solo as well as with L'Arc~en~Ciel...-

and Gackt. My goodness, more his older work than recent but...yes...

AKFG is great too.

I know there's more...Mind is pretty blank atm...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    ...I don't think I've ever even heard of a single one of these...
  • bobzilla21
    bobzilla21 Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I only listen to the music I find from watching anime because I'm too lazy to search for good ones. I like a lot of them, though.
    I figured I should do something with my sig, so I made this for fun. My very first (poorly made) animation. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As for why Luffy is murdering Naruto, I have no idea either, but it looks cool.b:laugh
  • dvorak
    dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I like to listen to good, bluesy Enka while soaking in the outdoor furo and sipping on a ume-shochu. ahhhhhh, good times.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
  • Hildeborg - Heavens Tear
    Hildeborg - Heavens Tear Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Only instrumental music. I cannot possibly like a song whose text I cannot understand, even if I may find the tune catchy. If I dig up an understandable translation then I decide.

Altough songs from Maaya Sakamoto usually haunts me. There's something to her voice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lafieru
    lafieru Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of J-Music. Some of my favorites (with favorite favorites in bold) are:

B'z - the top selling music name in Japan for a reason - the #1 Japanese guitarist paired with an amazing vocalist = can't lose formula. Missed a chance to see them live, possibly my biggest music regret =(

Bonnie Pink - solid ballads/R&B all around

Bump of Chicken - homestyle rock band, one of my favorites

Chihiro Onitsuka - incredible ballads

Dir en Grey - visual-kei, some songs are too extreme for me, but there are others that will leave me in the fetal position - in a good way

Gackt - like Ence mentioned, mostly his older stuff, although Diabolos wasn't bad

Garnet Crow - amazing female-lead pop rock

Gazette - more visual-kei - some of the best double-guitar work there is

Glay - super popular pop-rock - I've seen them live! (Twice!)

hide - former guitarist for X Japan, was considered the king of visual before he passed away =(

Kagrra - visual again, but light, almost pop-rock. Seen them live too. ;)

L'Arc~en~Ciel - the most famous overseas band for a reason - some of the catchiest rock music I've ever heard.

Miyavi - visual solo artist, seen him live twice

Nobodyknows+ - Hip-hop/rap group, absolutely a blast to listen to

Okuda Miwako - first CD mostly, my favorite female vocalist CD hands down
    Ore Ska Band - group of 6 girls doing Ska... very awesome. I've seen them live too!

Remioromen - great pop rock band

Shiina Ringo - female solo artist, unique beyond words. A true musical genius

Siam Shade - one of the best J-rock groups of the 90's

Sid - visual turned pop-rock band, older stuff is great, their more recent ballads are pretty as well

Suneohair - great pop rock solo artist

X Japan - my all time favorite. I booked a plane ticket to Japan to go their concert last year. Love them so much. b:dirty
    Only instrumental music. I cannot possibly like a song whose text I cannot understand, even if I may find the tune catchy. If I dig up an understandable translation then I decide.

Altough songs from Maaya Sakamoto usually haunts me. There's something to her voice.
    I've always thought, if the vocalist is good, you can understand the song, even if you don't know the language. ;)
  • AlaskanShade - Heavens Tear
    AlaskanShade - Heavens Tear Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    So i gaurentee im not the only one that wants to go to Japan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zirconium - Heavens Tear
    Zirconium - Heavens Tear Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The only 2 I listen to are

Buffalo Daughter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0SBWMEtEUY

Boom Boom Satellites http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9FpItx4Gsg

Anyone know any Electro/Rock English ish speaking groups?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Sigs >> myweb.tiscali.co.uk/squeek/pages/sigs/sigs.htm
  • Ence - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Options
    If it's rock, ONE OK ROCK mixes some English into their songs...But I just really like em because of their style.

Samples:

Living Dolls: http://www.imeem.com/groups/pJwwicjC/music/JQzZPLkk/one_ok_rock_living_dolls/

Hitsuzen Maker: http://youtube.com/watch?v=pzD4BWmfIk8

Keep It Real: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_CUA9InjaUY

Break My Strings: http://youtube.com/watch?v=k7KvaFk2TWE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mint_sage - Heavens Tear
    Mint_sage - Heavens Tear Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Utada Hikaru is a favorite of mine as well...

lol, wow a dude who listens to Utada Hikaru b:chuckle

weeeeell, most of my songs I get after liking it in any anime, videogame, ect. I don't go random song listening/ searching. so here's my list of J-pop/ J-rock/ J-music artists: Bolded= my most favorite!!! (since they're all my favorites)::

ALI PROJECT: I love the songs from .****//Roots, they're unique (by which I mean really hard to sing lol)

AKFG: who doesn't love them? I liked 'em from BLEACH, Naruto, & Fullmetal Alchemist...ect. >:3

Ayaka: She sang Zack Fair's death song in Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. And I liked the song too, it's just that...I THOUGHT IT WAS A DUDE WHO SANG IT THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT! o.O I'm sooooo sorry Ayaka!

BEAT CRUSADERS: I liked the BLEACH opening for this, it was really catchy and I was like singing it everywhere

FictionJunction ASUKA: they ruled Elemental Gelade with Everlasting Song :)

FictionJunction YUUKA: I liked it for .****//Roots... but it got too long to listen to on a regular basis

Hirano Aya: I liked her songs in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (the solo ones, not w/ Chihara Minori & Yuko Goto)

Hirano Aya, Chihara Minori, & Yuko Goto: yeeeeeaaah, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya's Hare Hare Yukai!! I can dance to it, which is disturbing o_O

Hirano Aya & Katou Emiri & Fukuhara Kaori & Endou Aya: horray for their Motteke! Sailor Fuku song, which I can also dance to. O_o I love it, it has chipmunkyness, and they can actually fake a high voice singing really fast it for like... around 4 minutes? lol, it was probably recorded in parts

nobodyknows+: they're Naruto opening was okay... lol

Noriaki Sugiyama: oh hay, it's the voice actor for Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto) and Uryuu Ishida (BLEACH)! well I liked Suigintou no Yoru ^.^

Orange Range: I liked the BLEACH opening!! ftw!!

savage genius: I liked it for Elemental Gelade, yet like .****//Roots full opening, the full opening Forever is also a pain in the butt to listen to regularly

Tainaka Sachi: Fate/stay Night opening was also ftw... i guess. :P

Utada Hikaru: HOORAY KINGDOM HEARTS FTW!! I liked the English versions better than the Japanese version, however.

UVERworld: I totally loved the BLEACH opening, which was D-technoLife (funny name o.O)

Younha: well her song was the only favorite BLEACH ending I liked. -.-;

YUI: her songs are really good!! like the BLEACH opening, and Love and Truth

...dang I think I bolded most of them... WELL I LIKE 'EM ALL!! >:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    by Forsaken :D
  • demise
    demise Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    Oishasan - Sanctuary Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Koda Kumi
    Hikura Utada
    Namie Amuro
    BoA
    Ayaka
    Ayumi Hamasaki (I like 'Forgiveness')

Rize
    Maximum the Hormone

theres actually alot of 'secure' men that listen to Hikki,
    no crime in liking good music. She's in NY now recording a new US album, heard the first track, it's really good.
    Oishasan
    Light Armor build, Support Cleric

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Ence - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Lol Mint_Sage, you reminded me of a few that I do like but haven't listened to in a long time xD

Yes, I do like Utada. I think she's super talented and I enjoy listening to her.

And God, Koda Kumi rofl. I do like her a lot as well xD

Her song Last Angel with DBSK, frankly, is amazing to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ZuRgazFVs

Though it IS MUCH better live...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGxoYngxKYw

Oh and did anyone know she did a collab with Fergie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vz4cM09W-M

Beat Crusaders is funny to me. First was introduced to them through the anime Beck (Aka Mongolian Chop Squad)

Fiction Junction Yuuka is def also a favorite of my after, yep, .****//roots (Since I worked on the subs of that series)

Orange Range is also amazing.

I am not a huge fan of Ali Project, though I do admit that their style is quite unique. I actually got to meet them in person last year and they are quite nice people :D (At least when I met them ^^)

And Youhna has some other nice songs other than the Bleach ending, I would recommend them. :P

The most epic Uverworld songs (to me) to date? Just Melody, and Hanakau mo Towa no Kanashi al la Gundam :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xtrememirage - Heavens Tear
    Xtrememirage - Heavens Tear Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    J-pop is J-music... no?
    The name's Xtreme! b:victory
    Not Extreme! b:angry
    Get it right! b:thanks