fox build, light armour veno

kurikintonfox
kurikintonfox Posts: 2 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Venomancer
I'm just starting(waiting for the client to finish downloading) and I'd realllly like to not **** up my first char ^^;. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me the stat build for a light armor venomancer. I'm trying to base my build around the fox transformation.
Post edited by kurikintonfox on

Comments

• senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Light armor is (your level +4) for strength and dex, and (your level *3) for magic.

So at level 50, you'd have 54 strength, 54 dex, and 150 magic. At level 100, 104 strength, 104 dex, 300 magic, which comes out to 1 strength, 1 dex, 3 magic every level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kurikintonfox
    kurikintonfox Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    senovit wrote: »
    Light armor is (your level +4) for strength and dex, and (your level *3) for magic.

So at level 50, you'd have 54 strength, 54 dex, and 150 magic. At level 100, 104 strength, 104 dex, 300 magic, which comes out to 1 strength, 1 dex, 3 magic every level.

Thank you very much. (: Can I assume VIT stays untouched?
  • Laranda - Heavens Tear
    Laranda - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    It's safe to put a few points into vit. But you shouldn't go higher than a base vit of 10. You'll start having problems equipping gear after that.
  • rking
    rking Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Your can only put in 2 points for your vit, and it has to stay at 7. You should be getting most of your hp via your gears and possibly stones.
  • Daji - Heavens Tear
    Daji - Heavens Tear Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I'm just starting(waiting for the client to finish downloading) and I'd realllly like to not **** up my first char ^^;. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me the stat build for a light armor venomancer. I'm trying to base my build around the fox transformation.

+3 Mag
    +1 STR
    +1 DEX

You can equipment same level armor and weapon.

Use HP stone when you get higher like L80 but is up to you.
  • graider
    graider Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Though this will be argued, I'm gonna say it anyway.

The absolute best build for fox form venos is heavy, but it really only starts getting good around level 20 when you get melee mastery. Your damage almost doubles, and you get your 2nd attack skill for fox form.

if you go light armor, and plan on using fox form as your main combat mode, your gonna die frequently, even if you have a golem to tank while you attack.

Light armor just doesn't merit using fox form as your primary.

However!! Using Light armor and being a caster, that's the best survivability you get in light armor. You have a very high magic attack compared to heavy armor, which helps on healing your pet, and you have a decent phys def for when it gets rough.

Keep this in mind though, a heavy armor build will have 2x your phys def when 10 level below yours, possibly even 2.5x!
    If the best defense is a good offense, why did I even show up?

If a train is going east at 50 mph and another train is going west at 90 mph, where do they...Never gonna give you up~ Never gonna let you down~Never gonna run around~and hurt you~

If you've got this far, you've been rick-rolled.
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I have been called!

You basically have two options with heavy armor -

Support with high con and a low level weapon - effectively, a robe killer that won't die to melee's or magic users very easily.

Minimal con, current level weapon - decent physical attack damage, but nothing to brag about. At least you have your pet.

Light armor fox form is actually decent, although its damage output isn't as good as a Light armor caster. Hexmist/Life Depriver ensure that I stay alive against melee classes easily, and works as a robe killer. Only place where fox form would hurt is some aoe boss that you could otherwise be out of range if you used magic, I suppose. I've always viewed a light armor fox as a jack of all trades anyway. Gimped magic attack compared to a mage, gimped phys attack compared to a heavy, gimped respective defenses compared to both, but at least able to handle both types of damage/defense.

I'm not saying heavy armor is a bad build, but I would recommend you to stay away from words like "the absolute best build". Every build depends on the playstyle of the player, and if they'd like to focus on PvE or solo'ing dungeons then a robe mage would obviously be the best for them. There's no one size fits all build.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vaelissa - Heavens Tear
    Vaelissa - Heavens Tear Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    graider wrote: »
    if you go light armor, and plan on using fox form as your main combat mode, your gonna die frequently, even if you have a golem to tank while you attack.

Light armor just doesn't merit using fox form as your primary.

Actually, you can do incredibly well as a light armor venomancer in fox form, I have only died a small hand full of times ever so far.

As a level 65 (at the time of writing this) light build veno with maxed fox skills for my level, I run into few problems. If I want things to die faster I use mage form, otherwise I find the survivability and skills in fox form preferable. My primary pets are a frog and golem that are usually three levels behind, for the record.
  • Lepus - Lost City
    Lepus - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I also think the same about light armor. It's a solid build. You can use fox form decently well. The problem you run into as a heavy is that you can't equip the magic weapons to really rock it. Right now I'm a 64 veno and I'd say my fox form is pwnage when it comes to killing mage classes and archers (archer, cleric, wizard, and arcane venos). And when fighting classes other than those I use human form for magic damage. Also, light armor allows you to equip arcane gear. In a duel against wizards, you can put on arcane gear and go fox form to destroy them. And I'd have to say, having a high critical rate is very fun. The only other build I'm considering is going both arcane and heavy at the same time... with 300's magic and 200's strength for a flexible PvP build.... but I'm not sure on this. Any thoughts?
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I ran the numbers in a spreadsheet. Based on the magic weapon str/int requirements and light armor str/dex requirements, as someone already said, you only have two extra points to put into vit. At some levels you have more points (due to there being no new armor or new weapons at that level). But at level 24, 34, 44, 54, etc. you only have 2 extra points.

You don't get enough points to support a heavy armor build and equip a magic weapon for your level. e.g. If your stats can equip the best heavy armor at level 50, the best magic weapon you can equip is level 34. If you compromise the other way and distribute your points so you can equip the best magic weapon at level 50, the best heavy armor you can equip is level 36 (actually around 39, but there is no L39 armor).

So that's probably why light armor is popular - you don't have to compromise. You can get the best weapon and best armor for your level. The correct distribution is 3 int, 1 str, 1 dex, with a max vit of 7.

The heavy/arcane-armor hybrid is interesting. If all armor pieces were the same level, it would be worse than light armor. But because the different pieces have different level requirements, you're forced to wear some armor up to 9 levels below your level. This offsets some of the penalty of having to use low level heavy pieces, and the heavy/arcane hybrid ends up being almost exactly the same as light armor. e.g. if your int is high enough to equip a magic weapon of your level, at level 46:

light gives 705 pdef, 1115 mdef
    heavy/arcane gives 704 pdef, 1180 mdef
    your light accuracy, dodge, and critical rate are 2.5x that of heavy/arcane

To make it work though, you need to get a full set of heavy and arcane armor. You wear the arcane, and swap out the 2 or 3 lowest level pieces for heavy. As you go up in levels, the lowest level pieces will always change, so you need a full set of heavy to complement your arcane. That could get expensive at higher levels with upgrades and stuff.

Of course the big benefit is if you're in a situation where you need more pdef or mdef, you can swap the armor around. A light armor veno is probably not going to be carrying a set of arcane armor with her to swap. In the above level 46 case:

full arcane gives 242 pdef, 1755 mdef.
    full heavy gives 1078 pdef, 505 mdef.

So if you're willing to get the full armor sets and swap them around as needed, it is a viable alternative to light armor.
  • MistressLuna - Heavens Tear
    MistressLuna - Heavens Tear Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Die frequently o.o;;?? I must be awsome then ^-^. I've actually tried all three types of venomancer and I do like the light armor build best though I don't follow your 3-1-1 thingie ._.*dot dot dot* I forget my exact stats at lvl 57. I think it's something like 166 mag. 63 str. and dex. and like 36 vit o.o... I This way I can switch to arcane when fighting magic mobs and light armor while in werefox mode ^-^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Luna -still- Loves You All
  • Laranda - Heavens Tear
    Laranda - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I ran the numbers in a spreadsheet. Based on the magic weapon str/int requirements and light armor str/dex requirements, as someone already said, you only have two extra points to put into vit. At some levels you have more points (due to there being no new armor or new weapons at that level). But at level 24, 34, 44, 54, etc. you only have 2 extra points.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but your math is wrong. My statement before is also wrong but closer to the truth than your statement.

Here's my numbers. The first 3 numbers added together are the additional stat points needed to be able to equip the best gear for that level from base stats. The -X number is the total available stat points for that level. The final number is what's left over. Since venos can use any of the 4 magic weapons, I've done the math for each (Wand, Magic Sword, Pataka, and Glaive).

Lv.31 89+29+29=147-150*-1=3
    Lv.34 97+32+32=161-165*-1=4
    Lv.37 104+35+35=174-180*-1=6
    Lv.39 112+35+35=182-190*-1=8

From here on, you need +10 each for str/dex to use new Light Armor for that level. You also need +30 in each to use new Weapons for that level. Wands and Pataka are the exception to this. Wands require +31 at Lv6 and Lv8. Pataka require +29 at Lv6 and Lv8. This holds to at least Lv8 gear and I didn't test further.

Unless a veno is using wands, there is always more than 2 stat points remaining. This includes Magic Swords which you used for your calculations (Lv.34).
  • swiftlikeafox
    swiftlikeafox Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Die frequently o.o;;?? I must be awsome then ^-^. I've actually tried all three types of venomancer and I do like the light armor build best though I don't follow your 3-1-1 thingie ._.*dot dot dot* I forget my exact stats at lvl 57. I think it's something like 166 mag. 63 str. and dex. and like 36 vit o.o... I This way I can switch to arcane when fighting magic mobs and light armor while in werefox mode ^-^

Somehow you've managed to pull 33 stat points out of thin air.... you must have some crazy gear to have added on that many.b:shocked
  • HaTorah - Heavens Tear
    HaTorah - Heavens Tear Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    You could always do 5 STR / 1 DEX / 3 MAG / 1 VIT every 2 levels and use both Heavy Armor and Robes since 2.5 STR and 0.5 DEX per level is the requirement for Heavy Armor and 1.5 MAG per level is the requirement for Robes.

And even then, if you want to equip your magic weapons at a sooner level, you could take that 1 VIT and add it to MAG making it 4 MAG every two levels.

If you really want to, you could even use all three types of armor if you went 5 STR / 2 DEX / 3 MAG every 2 levels, lol!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I'm sorry to have to say this, but your math is wrong. My statement before is also wrong but closer to the truth than your statement.

Here's my numbers. The first 3 numbers added together are the additional stat points needed to be able to equip the best gear for that level from base stats. The -X number is the total available stat points for that level. The final number is what's left over. Since venos can use any of the 4 magic weapons, I've done the math for each (Wand, Magic Sword, Pataka, and Glaive).

Lv.34 97+32+32=161-165*-1=4

I'm on vacation so don't have access to my spreadsheet, and the servers are down so I can't check in-game. The equipment tool at asiapworld.com however says:

L34 magic sword requires 102 int, so 97 points in int.
    L34 light wristplate (arm piece) requires 38 str 38 dex, so that makes 33 points in those.

Which would make it 97+33+33 = 163 of 165 points = 2 points left over.

Dunno how accurate the tool at asiapworld.com is though. I got the stat requirements for my spreadsheet in-game, so unless they and I made the same mistake, it would seem to be accurate.
  • MistressLuna - Heavens Tear
    MistressLuna - Heavens Tear Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Somehow you've managed to pull 33 stat points out of thin air.... you must have some crazy gear to have added on that many.b:shocked

xD I find random drops with mag. str. dex. or vit. + in them I put absolutely no money into my armor >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Luna -still- Loves You All
  • Phenorine - Sanctuary
    Phenorine - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    hi just wanted to say that my sister found this very interesting andcreated a fox form veno off of your suggestions. just wanted to say thank you for her. so thanks.
  • Siouxci - Heavens Tear
    Siouxci - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I have been quite confused because I wanted to be pure arcane armor build and have been distributing my points mostly into MAG, and neglecting STR as I've been putting leftover points to DEX and just adding a point into STR. I am dying left right and center once my pet dies. I also created a heavy armor veno just to see how it would go, but I felt it didn't do damage as heavily or quickly as being arcane, although the plus side to this is having all kinds of HP for long drawn out fights. So after reading all your posts I have made my decision to switch over to light armor, since the stats support the best of both worlds: arcane damage, and a good whallop here and there in fox form when things get hairy. Thanks everyone!
  • Shaye - Lost City
    Shaye - Lost City Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Actually, I played a private server for a few weeks with three venos. One full int, one light armour foxform, and one heavy fox. The LA fox actually had more attack than the heavy, simply because it could equip the best weapon for its level. The difference is even greater beyond level 60, when the LA can use an HH weapon and the heavy cannot.

You'd only use foxform for pvp and tw, by the way. I leveled Venemous Scarab to 10 for grinding purpouses, it's almost twice as fast as using foxform skills. Not due to raw damage, but running up to every single mob really cuts down the amount of time you're actually attacking and killing. However, I have seen LA venos pull for zhen parties using foxform. I can't quite do it myself, especially since everyone else on the private server was 100+ and didn't want to go to YKD (Nightscream) with me. ._.; That's the only time I'd use foxform for PVE.