Mount vs. Aerogear

Eternalfling - Heavens Tear
Eternalfling - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
What's the benefit using a mount instead an aerogear? I'm fairly new so I don't have experience using either. But seems to me flying would almost always be faster since it could travel in a straight line.

Besides, the level requirement for aerogear is lower...
(important to inpatient new player like me b:laugh)
Post edited by Eternalfling - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Aerogear adds to your character speed. So if ur character moves at 4.9m/s and you have a max wigdeted aerogear (+3/+5), you move at 4.9+3 = 7.9m/s

The mounts have a fixed running speed that is usually over 8m/s. Their speed increases by 0.1m/s per level of the mount. So a lvl11 panther runs at 9m/s.

As you said you can fly straight. With a panther you cant fly, and (I'm told) you can be dismounted if a mob hits you as you are running past. But over a straight patch of land the mounts are faster.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Aerogear adds to your character speed. So if ur character moves at 4.9m/s and you have a max wigdeted aerogear (+3/+5), you move at 4.9+3 = 7.9m/s

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Oh by dear sweet Jebus Cripes' diamond hard nipples you're wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Basically.. I'm trying to say that you're wrong. You lose talking privileges, Hazardus.

Your move speed has absolutely nothing to do with the speed of your mount of the speed of your aerogear.

Here's the way they work:
    Mounts move at whatever speed they say they do. That's pretty sexily simple. Doesn't get easier than that.

Aerogear has an invisible base speed. What I mean by invisible is that it doesn't show up anywhere. I think I heard that it's something like 4.5, or 5 or something though. Not entirely sure there.

But yeah, you'll notice that for aerogear the speeds are listed as +1.5, +2, etc. That means that they move at the invisible base speed +1.5 or +2 or whatever.

As in.. let's say that the invisible speed is definitely 4.5. Aerogear with a speed of +2 would be moving at a speed of 6.5.

To answer your question of which is better though.. it's personal preference. Mounts are faster, but you can't AFK them so well, and you gotta watch out for obstacles.

If you're planning on not going AFK at all while traveling, mounts are definitely for you.

With the fantastically sexy addition of the auto-path feature thing, I'm even more of a flying fan now though.

Personal preference... I'm more into flying, some other people are more into mounts. It's all good.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I got my flying sword yesterday, I think is good if you are AFK but for other situation as somebody said other mounts are faster.

At which level you get those mounts and where do you get them?
  • Eternalfling - Heavens Tear
    Eternalfling - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the info. Being able to travel AFK is a big plus!
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    ground mounts are also useful for the daily horse race, where flying isn't allowed. Just depends what you are doing :P
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Can anyone tell me where I get those mounts and at which level?
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    buy them from boutique or other players... mounts come at lvls 20, 40, or 60... depending if they are upgraded and the type of mount :P
  • nightyne
    nightyne Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I like to fly....not too high....and collect herbs and materials on my way. Never a wasted journey.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    fuzzles wrote: »

With the fantastically sexy addition of the auto-path feature thing, I'm even more of a flying fan now though.

Please, how do you use the auto-path?
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    buy them from boutique or other players... mounts come at lvls 20, 40, or 60... depending if they are upgraded and the type of mount :P

I check the boutique, all the mounts are level 40 and up.

Any idea on the market price for mounts?
    edited February 2009
    Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Oh by dear sweet Jebus Cripes' diamond hard nipples you're wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Basically.. I'm trying to say that you're wrong. You lose talking privileges, Hazardus.

Wow lotsa wrongs there. Sorry bud, but I'll yak what I believe wherever I feel the need to yak it. b:kiss
    Your move speed has absolutely nothing to do with the speed of your mount of the speed of your aerogear.

Here's the way they work:
    Mounts move at whatever speed they say they do. That's pretty sexily simple. Doesn't get easier than that.

Aerogear has an invisible base speed. What I mean by invisible is that it doesn't show up anywhere. I think I heard that it's something like 4.5, or 5 or something though. Not entirely sure there.

Hmm, but you sure I'm wrong eh? b:chuckle
    But yeah, you'll notice that for aerogear the speeds are listed as +1.5, +2, etc. That means that they move at the invisible base speed +1.5 or +2 or whatever.

As in.. let's say that the invisible speed is definitely 4.5. Aerogear with a speed of +2 would be moving at a speed of 6.5.

(Interesting fact that the average character's base speed is 5m/s +/-0.2) b:quiet
    Where'd you get that figure from?

Movement buffs/potions don't work on aerogear flying speed thats correct. But the base speed is whats being added to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    I check the boutique, all the mounts are level 40 and up.

Any idea on the market price for mounts?

• fuzzles
    edited February 2009
    Please, how do you use the auto-path?

Hit alt and click at on your destination on the big map.

Or alternatively just click wherever you want to go on the minimap
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    Tawarwaith - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited February 2009

Uhm, are you really sure about this. I've had several experiences that corresponds more with Hazardus explanation. I'll give you a little list:
    - I've trueform lvl2, which means my speed in tigerform is 6.6, and at that time I had the free geese you get at lvl30 from the recluse. If what you're saying is true, than running should have been faster than flying b:shocked I can tell by experience: that wasn't the case.
    - In the same conditions as above (6.6 speed and +0.5 aerogear), I completed a quest with a cleric and then we had to go to the same place. I was a little faster than she was, and her speed was 6.9 with her wing mastery. Conclusion: 6.6 + 0.5 = 7.1 and that's just a little higher than 6.9. If you were correct, I should have been slower then she was.
    - Right now I have a Israfael, and I was helping an archer from my guild that was lower lvl. We had to travel between archosaur and silverpool. When in tigerform, he just disappeared from the minimap is a few seconds. However, when I turned to humanoide, he was able to follow much easier without me stopping every 3 seconds. Conclusion: There is a difference in speed between humanoide and tiger on aerogear, so the speed is based on my own speed.

You shouldn't be shouting people are wrong if you can't give at least one example/argument. Seems to me that you're wrong on this one.

To get back to the main toppic: I never use a mount, because as a barb with good aerogear my speed is already pretty good. Also, with the auto-pathing you can just go do something else while traveling since at maximum altitude you're sure no mob shows up. However for another class, the mount may increase your speed considerably and it might be worth getting one. (I don't know how much wing mastery adds, or if the BM's sprint skill work on aerogear)
    edited February 2009
    Errm, actually no. The trueform transformation does not affect the flying speed. I have tested that myself. Its only the base speed that is added to.

The problem is that a mere difference +/-0.2 m/s (thats all there is really) is not easy to confirm, due to lag, etc. between two separate players. I have myself seen players drift away from me and then all of a sudden warp back in close. The lag/delay can give false indications of who's faster/slower.

My test was running and flying between two points in archo in a straight line.
    The results in flying as a tiger or a humanoid were pretty much identical. A character speed difference of 2.4m/s (7.3-4.9) between humanoid and tiger would result in a much more pronounced difference. So trueform speed buff is definitely not counted.

Will have to make a more exact test to determine the +0.5 adds to what?
    If I am right, in my case it would be 4.9+0.5 = 5.4m/s

Fuzzles might be right too. Who knows? If its a constant base "flying" speed then that base "flying" speed is bloody close to my characters running speed. I wouldn't be surprised if it were 5m/s too since thats what the average of all the classes run speed comes out to [(4.8+5.2)/2 = 5.0]. Though if that is what it is then why wouldn't they just list it as 7m/s instead of +2.0m/s?

I just made my earlier post, because I just didn't like fuzzle's tone.
    b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fuzzles
    edited February 2009
    The problem is that a mere difference +/-0.2 m/s (thats all there is really) is not easy to confirm, due to lag, etc. between two separate players.

I'll grant you that one.. there's a slim chance you might be correct.

I still like my version better though. Besides.. I'm never wrong!
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Might be interesting to test, but I'm pretty sure of what I say: I've seen the difference when traveling from the plume to etherblade or from sumor camp to silver pool. Normally great distance should be more accurate.

Of course it can also be just the idea we have of time. Thinking that we go faster might give the idea we spend less time traveling. Placebo's are proven to be the best medication for many diseases ... If so, it is really weird they didn't just put 7m/s like you said.
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Besides.. I'm never wrong!

Everybody is wrong sometimes. Even you. The human that doesn't make mistakes is yet to be born.
  • Zerakdos - Sanctuary
    Zerakdos - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Everybody is wrong sometimes. Even you. The human that doesn't make mistakes is yet to be born.

~Yells in a crazed preacher voice~ JESUS!!!

Haha just had to say it, even if I don't believe it XD
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009

I think I will continue using my sword. LOL
  • Semyezza - Heavens Tear
    Semyezza - Heavens Tear Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Errm, actually no. The trueform transformation does not affect the flying speed. I have tested that myself. Its only the base speed that is added to.

The problem is that a mere difference +/-0.2 m/s (thats all there is really) is not easy to confirm, due to lag, etc. between two separate players. I have myself seen players drift away from me and then all of a sudden warp back in close. The lag/delay can give false indications of who's faster/slower.

My test was running and flying between two points in archo in a straight line.
    The results in flying as a tiger or a humanoid were pretty much identical. A character speed difference of 2.4m/s (7.3-4.9) between humanoid and tiger would result in a much more pronounced difference. So trueform speed buff is definitely not counted.

Will have to make a more exact test to determine the +0.5 adds to what?
    If I am right, in my case it would be 4.9+0.5 = 5.4m/s

Fuzzles might be right too. Who knows? If its a constant base "flying" speed then that base "flying" speed is bloody close to my characters running speed. I wouldn't be surprised if it were 5m/s too since thats what the average of all the classes run speed comes out to [(4.8+5.2)/2 = 5.0]. Though if that is what it is then why wouldn't they just list it as 7m/s instead of +2.0m/s?

I just made my earlier post, because I just didn't like fuzzle's tone.
    b:victory

But how come I fly faster with my Summer Sprint on (6.4m/s walking speed) than without it? (5.1m/s) It basically does the same as Tiger form, it increases my speed for 25% for five minutes. As far as I've noticed, my extra speed does contribute to faster flying. -shrug-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I. LIKE. TO. KILL. THINGS."
    - Richard the Warlock, LFG.

visit my gallery on !! quelfish.deviantart.com !!
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    But how come I fly faster with my Summer Sprint on (6.4m/s walking speed) than without it? (5.1m/s) It basically does the same as Tiger form, it increases my speed for 25% for five minutes. As far as I've noticed, my extra speed does contribute to faster flying. -shrug-

Summer Sprint doesn't make you fly faster. Get a stopwatch and time how long it takes to go between two points with and without Summer Sprint, flying vs. running. I need to time flying speed with my barb to see if it's just venos who are getting the short end of the stick on this one.

I hear it doesn't affect mount speed either.
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    I need to time flying speed with my barb to see if it's just venos who are getting the short end of the stick on this one.

I tried to time it, but have to restart. If you do it, take a long distance. The reason I need to redo it is because Archosaur - Etherblade was to short: Both times were pretty close and could be used to valid both points. With my israfael the +2.0 would decreas the speed difference to +/- 20%. Could also be because I don't have a decent stopwatch b:chuckle

From the 3 examples I've mentioned above, Hazardus is right that 2 aren't really objectif. When flying, especially at high altitude, it's difficult to have a good idea of you speed. And with the elf, it could be the internet connection (come to think of it, he can have used accelerate to).

However, the experience with the cleric is still bothering me. We went exactly from the same npc to another same npc. I left a bit later, but was there earlier. She said that with her wing mastery she had a speed of 6.9 (4.8 + 0.5 + 0.6 wing mastery). At that time I only had the lvl1 geese. If it really only adda 0.5 to my humanoide speed, I would be at 5.4 speed. I didn't accelerate. I think the difference would be a bit big for a glitch or connection problem. Maybe the veno's and BM's skills don't have a effect on flying speed, but for wing mastery that would just be really weird b:shocked

Unfortunately, I can't remember her name, so I can't retry. If a cleric with wing mastery on sanctuary reads this, please try to pm in game, or here on the forum. I would like to figure out how it really works. b:laugh
  • fuzzles
    edited February 2009

Summer sprint is, as far as I know, the only speed buff that transfers into flying.
  • Semyezza - Heavens Tear
    Semyezza - Heavens Tear Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Summer Sprint doesn't make you fly faster. Get a stopwatch and time how long it takes to go between two points with and without Summer Sprint, flying vs. running. I need to time flying speed with my barb to see if it's just venos who are getting the short end of the stick on this one.

I hear it doesn't affect mount speed either.

Mount speed doesn't affect it, no. When I was an ickle noobie of lvl 30, I thought it did. But then I looked at my speed with and without Summer Sprint and I realised I'd just been wasting MP. XD
    Summer sprint is, as far as I know, the only speed buff that transfers into flying.

Ooh. See! I knew I wasn't crazy! ... Erm. Yeah. =]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I. LIKE. TO. KILL. THINGS."
    - Richard the Warlock, LFG.

visit my gallery on !! quelfish.deviantart.com !!
  • fuzzles
    edited February 2009
    When I tested it, summer sprint seemed to pretty clearly speed up flying speed. b:question

I didn't actually use a stopwatch and rigorously test it though. So if you did, you're more likely to be correct.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    When I tested it, summer sprint seemed to pretty clearly speed up flying speed. b:question

I didn't actually use a stopwatch and rigorously test it though. So if you did, you're more likely to be correct.

That's what I thought too at first. Maybe it's the leaves that fly off your body when you have it on, but it really did look like I was flying faster.

Then I timed it with a stopwatch. When you run there's a pretty clear difference in times between two points. But when I flew there was no difference, and in fact running with SS was faster than flying with the quest manta.

No need to fly between two cities, it's a 15% speedup at lowest level so the difference should be apparent even with points as close as 20-30 seconds apart. Just be careful that your mount is pointed in the direction you want to fly before you start, otherwise it'll waste time turning around.
  • KyriIobria - Heavens Tear
    KyriIobria - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Well, I don't know how fast my Spotted Skymant goes, though I upgraded it twice, but my Polaris Snow Cub at least feels like I'm going much faster. Might be an illusion...
  • peacefulsilence
    peacefulsilence Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I would say the fact that they say +speed rather than an exact speed probably means the base speed varies from class to class (Which is probably their listed speed) and/or there are other untold flight speed altering factors like gear weight or stats. I would say the first is more likely the simple and true answer.
    She said that with her wing mastery she had a speed of 6.9 (4.8 + 0.5 + 0.6 wing mastery)
    Wing mastery only affects Natural Elvin wings (Which is the starter wings). Says so right in the skill, so no +.6 for eagle wings. So the reason you arrived a little sooner is because your base speed is just a little higher. Logical, no? Sorry, still new so I don't know all the classes exact speeds yet, just Cleric and Archer.
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I would say the fact that they say +speed rather than an exact speed probably means the base speed varies from class to class (Which is probably their listed speed) and/or there are other untold flight speed altering factors like gear weight or stats. I would say the first is more likely the simple and true answer.

Wing mastery only affects Natural Elvin wings (Which is the starter wings). Says so right in the skill, so no +.6 for eagle wings. So the reason you arrived a little sooner is because your base speed is just a little higher. Logical, no? Sorry, still new so I don't know all the classes exact speeds yet, just Cleric and Archer.

way to go necroing a thread from almost 4 months ago b:victory