The Real Barbarian Tank?

Stoned_Guy - Sanctuary
Stoned_Guy - Sanctuary Posts: 62 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
I always hear ppl say that a real barb tank has to be in normal form (not tiger), but also lots of ppl say he has to be in the tiger form. Now i ask you, because i dont wanna waste money and spirit for skills i dont use.
Thanks b:victory
-Please insert coin-
Post edited by Stoned_Guy - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Briegg - Sanctuary
    Briegg - Sanctuary Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    tiger form helps because it raises your defense so in essence
    it's a better tank

i think what they mean by real barb tank
    is a barbarian that doesn't have to use skills to be a good tank
  • Stoned_Guy - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    i think, maybe i have to skill just the skills for defense, life, etc in tiger form, so i can tank bosses. When im a tank i dont have to make the damage, right?
    So i maybe skill the untigered skills and the skill with + defense, life for tiger. Because when i solo some mobs i think untigered is better, because i make more damage.
    -Please insert coin-
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    tiger form spammin aggro skill(flesh ream) with high tiger form and high hp buff and high vitality, and of course high hp from gear/citrine shards, that is a tank
  • Stoned_Guy - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    i think flesh ream lvl 1 is enoguh, coz i just need to get aggro with it and it got lower mana costs if its lvl 1. But when i do normal mobs i have to make more damage. So i will skill normal skills and the tiger 'tank skills'. Bah, expensive b:cry
    -Please insert coin-
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    You do not "just" have to get aggro. You have to keep it against the damage (and other aggro-building activities?) of the rest of your party. The higher your Flesh Ream is, the more capable you will be of keeping aggro. Do not skimp on this skill if you are ever going to tell a party you can tank a boss. You might get away with keeping some of the other tiger skills low, but all the skills in tiger form help with tanking in some way. The skills in human form help you with ordinary grinding. Essentially, you have tank mode and DPS mode. But, while it may take a little longer to kill each mob in tiger form, you certainly can get by using that form all the time if you are serious about investing in tanking skills. I've even heard of people who do PvP largely/mostly/exclusively? in tiger form. Trying to tank in human form, though, is giving up a lot of the barb's advantages for the role.
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Tiger form decreases damage but increases HP.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that tiger form makes a better tank. Possibly due to the whole extra HP thing.

If they reckon you have to be in normal form possible they're talking about a barb they're trying to make so it's more of a damager than just a tank?
    That is to say, a worse tank.
  • AlpineFrost - Lost City
    AlpineFrost - Lost City Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    ok time to set this straight.

A REAL tank is,

A player that can take ALOT of dmg, and hold aggro. If you want to be the best tank you can be i would suggest the following:

Dont lvl ANY humanoid skills until later on.
    Max Flesh ream, Beast king's inspiration, true form, shapeshifting intensity, titan's strength, axe and hammer mastery.
    MAKE sure you get beastial rage (the one that builds chi)
    GET alacrity to lvl 7. (it can be used as a timer for powerful boss skills at this lvl)
    Roar is essencial to grabbing aggro off ppl that shouldnt have it... or grabbing any adds that may arrive.
    Frighten is also great for lowering a boss dmg output... i often spam it on hard bosses. also draws a TINY bit of aggro

RULES TO TANKING-
    1) FLESH REAM, FLESH REAM, FLESH REAM... and when they least expect it FLESH REAM AGAIN!
    2) DONT RUN. not only will you die, but everyone else will too.
    3) you should ALWAYS be building chi. without it you may as well be a blademaster. >.>

* AND NO. Flesh ream lvl one is NOT ENOUGH. an archer or mage ten lvls lower than you will pull aggro off you if you have a lvl one ream. *
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ex-Waffles Director
    ~Ragequit
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    GET alacrity to lvl 7. (it can be used as a timer for powerful boss skills at this lvl)
    Does this really need to be leveled? I've left it at level 1 and (as far as I've seen so far) it still interrupts all enemy spell casting every time I time it correctly.

From the description, leveling only adds extra damage, which is not what I'm concerned about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I'd advise leaving Mr. Alacrity at level 1.

You're spot on. The only thing a higher level adds is damage. Considering I only ever use the skill for interrupting, I'd rather have it cost less mana than do more damage.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    When tanking, tiger form is generally better than humanoid.

Also, flesh ream level 1 is NOT enough. A full magic veno, archer or cleric can pull aggro easily from you. Leveling alacrity does not only increase damage, it reduces the cooldown time of the skill. This is useful because you might miss/incorrectly time an alacrity, or when you need to use alacrity on two mobs. Again, this is your choice of leveling or not. I left my alacrity as level 7 because of the cooldown time reference.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Daoso - Heavens Tear
    Daoso - Heavens Tear Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Alacrity doesn't just add extra damage, the cooldown time reduces. Quicker cooldown= Potentially more cancels. So I'd level that one up slowly.

Personal experience, Flesh Ream doesn't need to be leveled. At level 1 I still keep aggro easily. Although I'm sure many others would disagree with me...
  • Neomccoy - Heavens Tear
    Neomccoy - Heavens Tear Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    fuzzles wrote: »
    I'd advise leaving Mr. Alacrity at level 1.

You're spot on. The only thing a higher level adds is damage. Considering I only ever use the skill for interrupting, I'd rather have it cost less mana than do more damage.

no u have to level this as much as u can. higher level the faster the cool down time.
    -retired-b:bye
    9x WB, Tao

Jermaine 83 Sin - retired...
  • fuzzles
    edited February 2009
    no u have to level this as much as u can. higher level the faster the cool down time.

Ahh.. righto. My bad. Was getting it mixed up with something else.

Not that I don't trust you or anything, but I checked ecatomb.net to make sure. b:thanks
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Fuzzles? More like Failzles.
    Last time I get you to tank for me ><.

Daoso: You're level 20. Your personal experience tanking for hardcore damage dealers is likely to be rather limited.
  • fuzzles
    edited February 2009
    jemima wrote: »
    Fuzzles? More like Failzles.
    Last time I get you to tank for me ><.

Hush you. That "Failzles" thing was so bad it gave me cancer.

Pfft.. Jemima.. more like Myjokesreerribleima.

Or to quote Carla.. "Private Dancer? More like private Mansure.. as in.. Man, he sure has a positive outlook on life!"
  • Daoso - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Daoso: You're level 20. Your personal experience tanking for hardcore damage dealers is likely to be rather limited.

You know, Avatar isn't everything. This char isn't my main.

I've played Barb up to lvl 71 on a different version of PW, and with a lvl 1 flesh ream I had no problems.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    You know, Avatar isn't everything. This char isn't my main.

I've played Barb up to lvl 71 on a different version of PW, and with a lvl 1 flesh ream I had no problems.

barbs with low lvl fleshream fail to keep aggro a LOT more then barbs with high lvl flesh ream i know a 8x barb that keeps aggro from me far worse then a 6x/7x one because of flesh ream lvl
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Alacrity doesn't just add extra damage, the cooldown time reduces. Quicker cooldown= Potentially more cancels. So I'd level that one up slowly.
    Excellent info! Thanks!

Of course, now I need to find some spare SP to spend on getting it back up...b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Daoso - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    barbs with low lvl fleshream fail to keep aggro a LOT more then barbs with high lvl flesh ream i know a 8x barb that keeps aggro from me far worse then a 6x/7x one because of flesh ream lvl

I'm confused. Are you saying that the 6x/7x barbs keep aggro more then the 8x barb or vice-versa?
  • thom
    thom Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Lvl up flesh ream asap. Lvl up alacrity at least to lvl7 asap.

If your flesh ream is lvl 1, squad dd's cant nuke on full force,you never keep aggro. On early lvls it doesnt matter that much,since dd's dont do that huge dmg yet, on higher lvls this changes.

On higher lvl bosses, lvl1 alacrity simply doesnt cool down long enough to interrupt.

I use max lvl flesh ream and never lose agro as long as the bleed is running on a mob. Our mages,archers and other DD's can nuke in full force without holding back at all.

I can even tank several mobs easy,just bleed em one by one and repeat. Rest of the squad nukes&kills them :D

Oh and the guy who said a real tank is not in tiger form doesnt have a clue what he is talking about.
    You simply wont tank higher lvl bosses without tigerform.

Lower lvl ones go easy once you are higher enough than them on normal form too.
    But bosses on your lvl or higher, usually require tigerform,if not for survivability then for keeping aggro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • Grgumsh - Heavens Tear
    Grgumsh - Heavens Tear Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i went with almost all humanoid skills till around lvl 60. till then i only used lvl 1 alacrity, lvl 1 flesh ream, maxed shape shifting. I only use tiger form for bosses. but at lvl 60 i realised it wasnt enough while in the TT60. So now my flesh ream is lvl 8-9 and alacrity is 7. I have a much easier time holding agro even from archers +10 lvls above me. and alacrity gets -.5 cooldown for each lvl so that helps me cancel boss attacks more often.
    In short... if u want the perfect tank, go with just the tiger skills. If you want to be a Damage Dealer Barb go with the human skills. If you want to be able to do both... be careful on what u buy and when u buy, its hard but can be done and done well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    War has made me very paranoid, and when a man starts eyeballin me it makes my Agent Orange act up and I get the urge to kill.
  • tekyo
    tekyo Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I always hear ppl say that a real barb tank has to be in normal form (not tiger), but also lots of ppl say he has to be in the tiger form. Now i ask you, because i dont wanna waste money and spirit for skills i dont use.
    Thanks b:victory

The real barbarian tank is Hercules, he is a godly barbarian after all b:laugh
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    I'm confused. Are you saying that the 6x/7x barbs keep aggro more then the 8x barb or vice-versa?

im saying the lower lvl barb held aggro better because his flesh ream was a higher lvl