Cleric + Plume shell

Options
Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Cleric
Do clerics ever use plume shell? I mean after 10 seconds poof mana game just like that is this a common problem?
I know when you level it it uses less mp.. but absorbs for damage soo?
We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
(Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
Post edited by Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• CyberMagix - Heavens Tear
    CyberMagix - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Well in a way it doesnt exactly use less mana. Just that less mana is needed to absorb more damage. And yes the percentage of damage absorbed is higher.
    To be honest i used it less than 10 times so far throughout my 40 levels
    Only time i use it is when my friend did something stupid and draw a bunch of angry FB mobs towards the group.
    Other than that..i hardly see the need to use it..
  • Enoteca - Sanctuary
    Enoteca - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    The only time I've used it so far is when I **** up when I'm fighting a mob, or for some reason I miss a lot.

I think I have lvl 2 of it.
  • Shaye - Lost City
    Shaye - Lost City Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Plume shell is used, 99% of the time, in PvP. If you're PvPing without both charms (guardian and spirit), you're pretty much screwed anyways. A mana charm quickly recovers the mana plume shell eats up, allowing you to use other skills than just that.

Leveling it means each point of damage you take burns less MP, significantly. Level 10 plume shell uses about half the MP per damage point as level 1, not to mention blocks a good 27% more damage. However, plume shell is only worth leveling if you plan on PvPing or doing TWs.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I've also used alot of Plume shell in near sticky situations when mobs linked in Twilight temple runs. Really nice to have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I see I noticed that
    Level 1 plume shell: Absorbs 53% of damage 2mp per Damage taken
    Level 10 plume shell: Absorbs 80% of damage and 1.1mp per second

Obviously lvl 10 is better and absorbs more damage but my question is will it take more mana than level 1 plume shell?
    Because It takes less mp per hit but absorbs more if you know what I mean so
    If I max it will my mana still die out really fast? coz if a bm hits say 800 damage on me it absorbs 80% making like 500 mana blah im confused...
    Basically without pots can I win a duel with plume shell or would my mana just vanish?
  • Faustinna - Heavens Tear
    Faustinna - Heavens Tear Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    PvE only when you get unwanted aggro and cant afford to run away.

PvP everytime it's up so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    1v1 PvP you will find your self just staking iron heart while in massive pvp its a must to survive
    b:dirty
  • Ithilmir - Sanctuary
    Ithilmir - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Plume Shell is mandatory, but use it with your own judgement. For most purposes in PvE, Ironheart is sufficient to keep you alive without blowing through mana. When you're against massive damage (such as PvP), you need to be able to control the amount of damage you take, thereby allowing you use IBs to keep up your health.

Plume Shell works very well with a charm.
  • Ryujin_Jakka - Lost City
    Ryujin_Jakka - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I see I noticed that

Obviously lvl 10 is better and absorbs more damage but my question is will it take more mana than level 1 plume shell?
    If I max it will my mana still die out really fast? coz if a bm hits say 800 damage on me it absorbs 80% making like 500 mana blah im confused...
    Basically without pots can I win a duel with plume shell or would my mana just vanish?

just use an example

lvl 1: absorbs 53% at 2 mana per point absorbed

say a mob does a single hit of 1000 dmg

that means plume shell will take 530 dmg, multiply that by 2 for mana

that's 1060 mana

lvl 10: absorbs 80% at 1.1 mana per point absorbed

same 1000 dmg taken

now here plume shell will take 800 dmg, multiply that by 1.1 for mana

that's 880 mana

so it's a little less mana, but it could be enough to make a difference in battle
  • Isaphet - Heavens Tear
    Isaphet - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    My main problem with Plume Shell is that there are potions that perform a better job in PVE situations (Certainly up to level 50, dew of rival protection beats it hands down and there appear to be better potions to use in later levels). Of course with a very slow cool down rate on these potions there might be a very different situation in later levels and for pvp.
  • _WillFire_ - Sanctuary
    _WillFire_ - Sanctuary Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I see I noticed that

At higher level your mana pool is huge. You will, even with Plume Shell, run out of life before you run out of MP in duels or TW.
    Mark 12:29-37
    _WillFire_ 8x Combat Medic
  • Cosmos - Heavens Tear
    Cosmos - Heavens Tear Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I don't agree that it's just for PvP or TW. It's saved my backside in TT now numerous times. If an error happens and some mobs get loose, such as what happened on a run I was in last night, it's a vital skill that allows the Cleric to escape then return to res everyone, rather than everyone having to return to town.

Shell, for Clerics, is a must IMHO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Klath - Sanctuary
    Klath - Sanctuary Posts: 437 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    At higher level your mana pool is huge. You will, even with Plume Shell, run out of life before you run out of MP in duels or TW.
    No idea where you got that from, on TW maybe, duels never.

1000 damage is reduced to 200, and 880 goes into your mana.

I have 3k hp unbuffed. 3000/200 = 15 hits of 1k to kill me with shell on.
    15 * 880 = 13200 mana burned from shell.

PS: I have 7300 mana.
  • _WillFire_ - Sanctuary
    _WillFire_ - Sanctuary Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    No idea where you got that from, on TW maybe, duels never.

1000 damage is reduced to 200, and 880 goes into your mana.

I have 3k hp unbuffed. 3000/200 = 15 hits of 1k to kill me with shell on.
    15 * 880 = 13200 mana burned from shell.

PS: I have 7300 mana.

I take it you don't kite or heal yourself?
    Mark 12:29-37
    _WillFire_ 8x Combat Medic
  • Deadbone - Lost City
    Deadbone - Lost City Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    hes talking bout duels
    and you dont use plumeshell in duels or your mana is gone and its over
    edited February 2009
    Options
    nah you can plume shell in duels well I can I only got 5900mp but I can
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Options
    nah you can plume shell in duels well I can I only got 5900mp but I can
    Never seen it work in duel
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Never seen it work in duel

sleep -> plume shell -> run -> paralyze -> cyclone -> wield thunder -> cyclone(assuming it's a blademaster, or something of similar heavy-armor wearing. doesn't matter with an archer, they get hit hard by everything).
  • Secilia - Lost City
    Secilia - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Plume shell is a must for clerics on the PVP server and also lets clerics kill barbs. Clerics have high magic attack whilst barbs have low mag defence. But Clerics have way too low hp so plume shell gives clerics to kill barbs and BMs in 20 seconds b4 you die.

So as long as you manage ur magical attack and physical defence stats and equipment correctly clerics shud be able to kill barbs and BMs their level with maxed plume shell.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Options
    sleep -> plume shell -> run -> paralyze -> cyclone -> wield thunder -> cyclone(assuming it's a blademaster, or something of similar heavy-armor wearing. doesn't matter with an archer, they get hit hard by everything).

Yeah but if he lands a hit on you, and counting that he has dueled before, your MP just flops down, that might be a reason i dont see clerics using it in duels.
    Rather its:paralyze-debuff-*your favorite skill combo* and try finishing it quick
    edited February 2009
    Options
    trust me the diffrence from level 53 and 64 is quite a bit I plume shelled, and I beat a level 77 archer remaining with 5hp or so without plume I would not of won plume shell ftw
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    What about plumeshell initially, since mana is much higher than health, and then use sleep when your mana has reached a certain point. Use that time to debuff again if needed, cast ironheart, allow plumeshell to lapse, then long channel high dmg spell. Saves you from quick spike in the beginning, and prevents you from being mana drained quickly. All depends on lvl and what skills are leveled to I suppose.