Calendar Creation Design Contest for Feb. *Winners announced, Tues evening, Feb. 3*

Options
dvorak
dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Official Announcements
2009 is finally here and to kick off the start of a brand new year we're introducing a new, monthly contest series that allows users to flex their artistic creativity!

Starting with the month of February we're asking users to create Perfect World desktop calendars! The process is very simple....

1) Begin by downloading our February 2009 background calendar kit at:

http://pwi.perfectworld.com/media/Calendar_Creation_Event_stock_images.zip (6.7 megabytes)

This zip folder includes the background calendar template, a sample calendar, and a number of stock pictures you can use.

2) Load the background template into the image manipulation software of your choice (e.g. - Photoshop, MSPaint, etc.) and jazz up our background template in any manner you see fit. Examples include - using screen captures of your in-game characters, real life photos of yourself, images pulled from our website (characters, logos, etc.). The stock images included in the calendar kit are a great place to start, but feel free to find other sources of inspiration within the game!

The only thing we ask is that you do not obscure the actual calendar section (upper right corner) as well as the Perfect World logo (bottom right of image).

3) When you feel that your calendar is up to par. Please email your image file to:

events@perfectworldinc.com

In your email, please let us know your in-game character name, and server in order to receive your prizes should you win.

For an example of a February calendar design that utilizes our background template check out:

http://pwi.perfectworld.com/images/content/calendar_feb_sample_665x532.jpg

note: Multiple submissions are allowed. The sky is the limit!

4) The deadline for submissions is Monday, February 2nd at 10 a.m. Pacific. All submissions will be reviewed by representatives from the Community, Product and Design teams and winners will be announced later that day at approximately 7 p.m. Pacific.

The Top 3 Designs (based on criteria such as artistic merit, creativity, humor, expressions, etc.) will be featured on our website and made available for all users to download. The Top 3 designers will also be awarded with BLACK RAPTOR MOUNTS as well as universal props for a design well done!

Rules:

+ Send your Calendar design to events@perfectworldinc.com by February 2.
+ Do not resize the dimensions of the background template (we need it to fit on standard monitor sizes!).
+ Do not obscure the calendar and logo portion of the template. Feel free to move the positioning of these elements around but to be a valid entry your submission must contain a calendar for the month of February along with a Perfect World logo or tag.
+ Do not use characters, locations, or objects from other intellectual properties (Perfect World elements only!).
+ Please keep your designs in good taste. Submissions that are deemed as objectionable will be rejected for consideration.

Official Event Page at: http://pwi.perfectworld.com/event/eventsubpage/1021
pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
Post edited by dvorak on

Comments

• dvorak
    edited January 2009
    Options
    as an addendum we're aware of some of the questions related to art elements from this thread:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=165611

keep in mind that our original rule on this matter is the following:

- Do not use characters, locations, or objects from other intellectual properties (Perfect World elements only!).

Gattsuru's interpretation of this rule is spot on:

"any content submitted must either be the intellectual property of the submitter or of Perfect World Entertainment. Perfect World Entertainment reserves the right to publish pretty much any content involving purely in-game footage, but it's probably best to use media that you created, are from the fan-site or calendar creation kit, or are part of the PerfectWorld.com site."

but let me add this bit. Because this is the first attempt at launching this event (which we intend to turn into a recurring monthly event) and participants don't really have a lot of examples to work off of we may be somewhat lenient in regards to the enforcement of some of these rules and will surely revise/modify these rules when we announce the month of March calendar design guidelines in a couple of weeks.

In a nutshell, feel free to utilize any of the PWE art found anywhere on our websites as well as the calendar creation kit and if you incorporate assets from other PW related sites please be subtle with its use and give credit where appropriate.

In the meantime please keep your submissions coming! With a week and half to go we've received over 80 submissions and some of them are really spectacular.

Feel free to post any questions to this thread.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• Arlen - Lost City
    Arlen - Lost City Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Can we use any kind of background at all?. like a artsy background not associated with PWI?... because I think I did that with all of my submissions so far <>.<>.
    ...Ehh.
  • Semyezza - Heavens Tear
    Semyezza - Heavens Tear Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    No, in the Calender Creation Package is the template you have to use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I. LIKE. TO. KILL. THINGS."
    - Richard the Warlock, LFG.

visit my gallery on !! quelfish.deviantart.com !!
  • Ariadonna - Heavens Tear
    Ariadonna - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Can we use any kind of background at all?. like a artsy background not associated with PWI?... because I think I did that with all of my submissions so far <>.<>.

Not sure what type of "artsy background" you are talking about. Is it something you made from scratch? If so, I think it's acceptable.
  • dvorak
    edited January 2009
    Options

sure, using an alternate background is fine. all that we require is that your submissions have a calendar grid for the month of February along with the PWI logo and/or URL for the site.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• Rezinuken - Heavens Tear
    Rezinuken - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    How do we know if our design was accepted? I submitted 1 and I'm not sure if it got through or notb:sad

I also did mine for March not February is that ok? or should I resubmit a February calendar?
  • dvorak
    edited January 2009
    Options
    How do we know if our design was accepted? I submitted 1 and I'm not sure if it got through or notb:sad

I also did mine for March not February is that ok? or should I resubmit a February calendar?

I did see a few designs for March so yours was probably received just fine.

Because this current event is for February designs only, the few March submissions that we currently have will not be eligible for the CURRENT event. Please resubmit additional February designs if you would like to be eligible for current competition.

If not, don't worry about it - we'll use your March designs for our next contest (march designs).
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• dvorak
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Just a few days left before this contest comes to a close.

Please send in any submissions if you already haven't done so. All submissions must be received to our events mailbox by 10 a.m., Monday (Feb. 2).

For those of you who have already submitted - thank you! We've been extremely impressed by the variety and quality of designs submitted so far. Stay tuned next week as we announce winners and reveal details for the month of March calendar design!
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• Arlen - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Ah, gret b:thanks.
    I'm looking forward to seeing who wins...and pking.errr....congradulating all the winners. b:shutup
    ...Ehh.
  • Arlen - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Hmmm... I can't spell today...
    I'm gonna go work on another submission.
    ...Ehh.
  • BanexOfxEvil - Sanctuary
    BanexOfxEvil - Sanctuary Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    omg omg omg b:cry... i submitted mine at 11am monday february coz my alarm didnt work b:sad
    [SIGPIC]i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp237/DoT_Ending/Sigs/Evilcopy.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Yanjing - Heavens Tear
    Yanjing - Heavens Tear Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    omg omg omg b:cry... i submitted mine at 11am monday february coz my alarm didnt work b:sad

It's due at Eastern time, so you're fine.b:victory
    yay
  • dvorak
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Howdy all,

Just wanted to say - THANKS! - to everyone who submitted a calendar design. The response and level of participation has been overwhelming and we will be sorting through all the designs later today.

The deadline for submissions is now officially over.

Be sure to stay tuned though - we will be announcing details for our next Calendar design contest for the month of March later this week.

Also, winners for the February calendar designs will be announced either this evening or tomorrow (tuesday) - just waiting to see if certain judges will make it in to work today.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• Misstaken - Heavens Tear
    Misstaken - Heavens Tear Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    XD b:pleased
    I used to do drugs, I still do but I used to too.
  • dvorak
    edited February 2009
    Options
    UPDATE: winners for the Month of February Calendar Design contest will be announced tomorrow evening (Tuesday, Feb. 3).

We originally wanted to announce winners today but due to a couple of judges taking a sick day, we'll wait till tomorrow to make sure we get their feedback.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    ohh man i hope i won. So anxious xD
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Options
    ohh man i hope i won. So anxious xD

u feeling overconfident makes me half worried and curious >_>.. show me wat u did =o.. (theres no shame seeing as how u cant submit anything anymore =p......)
  • QueenOfMagic - Heavens Tear
    QueenOfMagic - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    i hope i won i cant wait to see the results but at the same time i dont want to lol either way i kno i tried and its not like this is the only calender event. there will be others to win and either with same prize or totally different prizes we will just have to wait and see what perfect world decides.
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    u feeling overconfident makes me half worried and curious >_>.. show me wat u did =o.. (theres no shame seeing as how u cant submit anything anymore =p......)

xD if i dont win i will just show you after mmmmm
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Options
    im over confident as well =p........ cmon i just cant wait to see the results... if i dont win i might feel bad coz i tried so hard and had alot of hope i might win =o... but if i dont theres always march to try for =]
  • wolframson
    wolframson Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    hi saw someone said they had already made the calender for march ... so was wondering if we may design the calendar part ourselves, cuz really had prblems removing the background without removing the calender part too... Same questions goes for "2009" can we design the look of it ourselves too? cuz would make it alot easyer to make the picture?
    edited February 2009
    Options
    wolframson wrote: »
    hi saw someone said they had already made the calender for march ... so was wondering if we may design the calendar part ourselves, cuz really had prblems removing the background without removing the calender part too... Same questions goes for "2009" can we design the look of it ourselves too? cuz would make it alot easyer to make the picture?

yes bout that... can we just have the actual calendar and 2009 perfect world thing seperately next time instead of it being stuck on a girly background =o? mine was girly this time so i didnt really care =D
  • NaoShimai - Sanctuary
    NaoShimai - Sanctuary Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Good luck guys!
    yes bout that... can we just have the actual calendar and 2009 perfect world thing seperately next time instead of it being stuck on a girly background =o? mine was girly this time so i didnt really care =D

And about that. In the calendar creation pack, there is a file called example1, it's a psd file. So if you have photoshop, you can open it up and just find the layer with the calendar piece on it, then drag it into a new canvas, or copy paste the layer into a new canvas =) Because in the example1 psd everything is on its own layer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Deculture~!^o^
  • Yanjing - Heavens Tear
    Yanjing - Heavens Tear Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Eee, I'm with everyone else who can't wait to see the results! The worst part is that I'm in Eastern time so I have to wait so long! :P

I actually used the PWE background on both submissions and didn't really feel like it hurt my overall design. Yeah, it was girly, but I made pretty girly designs so it's all good. ;)
    yay
  • Fireyhamster - Heavens Tear
    Fireyhamster - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Omg i'm so excited! I hope I won. Though even if I didn't, I can't wait to see the winners! b:laugh b:flower
  • Toxickiss - Heavens Tear
    Toxickiss - Heavens Tear Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Good Luck To Everyone!! I'm Excited!! I put more effort in this then than I did work lol! I really liked the"girly" background for February, After all it is the month to celebrate Love!! b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Soho - Lost City
    Soho - Lost City Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I hope I win but I bet there's so many really good entries. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sohographics.deviantart.com
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I hope I win but I bet there's so many really good entries. b:sad

u taking a guess =p? i havent seen any of the entries... if u have...link please =D?.. oh btw.. how much time left =p.. like 6-10 hours?
  • Soho - Lost City
    Soho - Lost City Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    u taking a guess =p? i havent seen any of the entries... if u have...link please =D?.. oh btw.. how much time left =p.. like 6-10 hours?

I haven't seen any but I'm just taking a wild guess, there's usually some really talented photoshop/artists in a community as big as PW's!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sohographics.deviantart.com
  • Ariadonna - Heavens Tear
    Ariadonna - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Hopefully the GMs will show us more than just the top 3 entries. It'd be great to see what everyone created.
This discussion has been closed.