What class should I start with?

tchernobog
tchernobog Posts: 5 Arc User
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
I've never played any version of this, but I'll be getting it when the OB starts, and I'm having a hard time deciding on what class to play as from just reading forums. First, are all classes gender specific, or can you pick? I was looking at the Wizard class, but I prefer something that can solo for a first character, so I'm not sure how well that would fit. If not that, which class of either Barbarian or Blademaster would be better to solo and which weapon branch would be best? The Venomancer class doesn't interest me right away, and I'd rather be a mage for ranged damage instead of an Archer unless there is a large difference in survivability. So that leaves the Cleric, but I'd rather have one as an alt later if I used one instead of starting with one.
Post edited by tchernobog on

Comments

• karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    The noobs section is right for you! : http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • kinetikop
    kinetikop Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Only the Venomancer (WF) and the Barbarian (WB) are gender specific. All of the other classes can be either gender.

Venomancer is said to be one of the better solo classes, but i believe any class can solo decently, I have been playing a Wizard solo since day 1 of the closed beta, and even tho I am used to wizards on other mmo's I have never played any Perfect World and went with one of the build supposed to be harder to solo with (1str 9int every 2 levels).

Clerics are fun, I only played one to level 7 but until level 4 i could 1-2 hit all of the mobs around my level. Plus healing is an awesome bonus. My cousin chose an Archer and found it to be a bit hard to play at the lower levels, he only made it to level 7 so far but it seems it's dps is lower than the other classes at that level.

Well thats my two cents, being that this is the first time i have played I hope its of some use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tatakairyu
    tatakairyu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    karmelia wrote: »
    The noobs section is right for you! : http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Why does that sound like a flame haha. I'm not saying it is but noob section lol, they really should change that name to beginners or newb.
  • f4ding
    f4ding Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    on PW-MY i noticed that mages and venomancers where the best classes later on and venomancer is the easiest to solo with throughout the game mages are bit harder but still easy all depends if you will be into pvp or not if not it doesnt matter which class you choose
  • anima
    anima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Venomancer is easier to play than other class, Blademaster too.They are recommend for newbie. They are also the best solo class in this game if you want to play solo, but usually you have to party or squad to level faster.
    And if you need more iformation, go to the noob discussion box, tons of iformation for you over there.
    Why...so...serious?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tchernobog
    tchernobog Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    f4ding wrote: »
    on PW-MY i noticed that mages and venomancers where the best classes later on and venomancer is the easiest to solo with throughout the game mages are bit harder but still easy all depends if you will be into pvp or not if not it doesnt matter which class you choose

So if I do want to PvP to some degree which of the two is better?
  • sealed
    sealed Posts: 781
    edited August 2008
    Every class is descent in PvP, trust me I even had a hard time PvP'ing Clerics at one point, its all about how you play.
    In PWI PvP is based on:

1. lvl
    2. weapon* one class can switch from one weapon to another for special skill uses*
    3. strategy
    4. gear
    5. build

And Heirograms if you want to count that:p

sealed~
  • f4ding
    f4ding Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Heirograms are pretty much a must at high levels lol because you know the other guy has them
  • scyris
    scyris Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    tchernobog wrote: »
    I've never played any version of this, but I'll be getting it when the OB starts, and I'm having a hard time deciding on what class to play as from just reading forums. First, are all classes gender specific, or can you pick? I was looking at the Wizard class, but I prefer something that can solo for a first character, so I'm not sure how well that would fit. If not that, which class of either Barbarian or Blademaster would be better to solo and which weapon branch would be best? The Venomancer class doesn't interest me right away, and I'd rather be a mage for ranged damage instead of an Archer unless there is a large difference in survivability. So that leaves the Cleric, but I'd rather have one as an alt later if I used one instead of starting with one.

Venomancer is the best solo class in the game hands down, and is always a good choice, plus you get to play as a sexy and HOT as hell cat/fox/tiger girl. Clerics cannot solo to well, they can but their attack skills cost massive amounts of MP compared to other classes, Archers quite frankly suck unless you got a tank with you. Mage is decent, kills fairly fast. Venonmancer is bascally a Wizard with a pet that can tank.
  • anima
    anima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Look at my post above. And...
    Cleric can solo, if you know how to play them, and their skill is less cost Mp than Wizard (could be depends if you up level the skill or not).
    My archer can kill a mob before it even hit me once. So state what level an EA need a tanker to grind with, please ^^.
    Venomancer and Wizard need some skill to play these classes (for Wizard is how to kite, and for Venomancer is how to control you pet.)
    Blademaster is always recommended for newbie.
    Why...so...serious?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seny0rita
    seny0rita Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    f4ding wrote: »

amen to that... i can play solo on dungeons for my quests :cool:
  • Okalini - Lost City
    Okalini - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    scyris wrote: »
    plus you get to play as a sexy and HOT as hell cat/fox/tiger girl

perhaps a reason not to take this class? depends what you play the game for i guess
    scyris wrote: »
    Venonmancer is bascally a Wizard with a pet that can tank.

definately a reason to take the class.... although when the pet goes down, you go down pretty quickly too. gives you a good headstart though =P

b:victory
    - Life can only be as significant as we make it -