Need Java programmers for epicness.

Options
Hisui - Heavens Tear
Hisui - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,369 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Etherblade (West)
I am simply bored out of my brains.
I want to write more predictions and play more TWs.
Yea, I think I am back in this game.

But now I want to do even more than that. I want to make a java applet to make calculating pay for TW much easier for guilds. This applet will also be tool for managing the guild.

Requirements
- Language used shall be Java. Or python if you really insist... no C#.
- Applet shall store at least two fully customizable pay distribution formulas.
- Applet shall be able to manage the guild roster, update levels manually and have pay calculated automatically.
- Applet shall have a "save" feature that spits out the roster and level and other relevant data in a formatted plain text form.
- Applet shall have a "load" feature that reads in the formatted text form data.
- Applet shall have a logging feature that spits out the pay history after each weekly pay transaction.
- Applet shall have a clean user interface.
- More specifics will be decided later on.

Looking for:
Java programmers. Best if you're a college/HS student cus this will be good practice considering the ease of this project.

Must be good with Java Swing. Cus I suck at it. I'll mainly be the project manager and do nothing but drive you like a slave. Ill QC. Yea.

Want your name to live on in PWI? Join this project.

FAQs:
Q: Can I use C++/C?
A: No. And you're ****.

Q: I am familiar with .NET and SAP.
A: Showoff elsewhere, prick.

Q: mySQL and Solaris yeye?
A: No db needed.

Q: I want to join this project but I don't program
A: Will hire crazy butt artists to make images on demand. By hire I mean draft your butt for free.

Q: What is the perks of doing this.
A: You can put it on ur resume. Not like it'd help in this econocrap.

Q: Are you planning to license this thing?
A: No. Considering everyone and their mom can program it given enough time nobody would bother to steal it anyways. It'll be open source, like your mom.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Check out ForsakenX 's sig thread O_O
Enrage - We Eat.
Post edited by Hisui - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Mirajane - Heavens Tear
    Mirajane - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    ill be the first to say welcome back hisui and id love to help.....if i knew anything about how those programs work and such. unfortunately even my knowledge on excel is limited so i doubt i could be of any help on your project but good idea anyway and good luck.
  • Deatharcher - Heavens Tear
    Deatharcher - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Hm.... Welcome back Hisui =D

Well it depends if u what u want me to draw b:victory if show me what u want me to draw i am in =D
  • Hisui - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Options
    cool. but i would like a Swing expert before getting down to the juice. Cmon guys, this has so much expansion potential. If we do a good job maybe I'll even ask PWI to send us some player data via XML and we can have live updates and other goodies. Possibilities are endless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Enrage - We Eat.
  • Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    loved the Q&A bro
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deatharcher - Heavens Tear
    Deatharcher - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Lets hope we can get something going b:victory
  • Psynopsis - Heavens Tear
    Psynopsis - Heavens Tear Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I can do everything EXCEPT the save/load feature...I'll look into it.
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I can do everything EXCEPT the save/load feature...I'll look into it.
    It's just basic file I/O in an arbitrary form.
    Read http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/io/ and you can do it.

But eww, programming something from scratch in Java using Swing to try to mimic the functionality of an Excel spreadsheet.
    And if you don't want to use Excel I imagine that Open Office could also do it.

And any reason why not C#, beyond some irrational dislike? Perfect World is a Windows program, and even if you're running it in WINE, mono should be far enough along to manage a basic forms application.
  • PXRage - Heavens Tear
    PXRage - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    what is this? discrimination against c#? cumon c# is soo much better >:3
    why the hell would u do this in java.. agree with jemima, excel = win = cake?

i'll help if u let me use c# and turing ;p

ps.
    I am also familiar with .NET and SAP.
  • Xxxooxxx - Sanctuary
    Xxxooxxx - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    what is this? discrimination against c#? cumon c# is soo much better >:3
    why the hell would u do this in java.. agree with jemima, excel = win = cake?

i'll help if u let me use c# and turing ;p

ps.
    I am also familiar with .NET and SAP.

If u read well. She wants to make Java Applet. Which can be done only in Java. Correct me if Im wrong. C# and c/c++ are .net and use Native Languages. Computer Languages are all powerfull for different uses, not saying Java sucks but it is still good.

I wish I can help. I'm taking Computer Science in High School. Straight A's in Java although I can't help you with the requirement since I haven't covered Applet. If you need any help. Pm me, I can start reading books :P.
  • StellarAshes - Heavens Tear
    StellarAshes - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Looks possible, but due to my lack of experience with territories in general, I wouldn't know how these things are calculated (perhaps that's where the customizable formulas come in).

And kill me for lack of sense of humor/sarcasm, but stating "I'll mainly be the project manager and do nothing but drive you like a slave. Ill QC. Yea." makes people--me, at least--wary of helping.
  • bobzilla21
    bobzilla21 Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I wish I can help. I'm taking Computer Science in High School. Straight A's in Java although I can't help you with the requirement since I haven't covered Applet.
    Hey, you sound just like me...
    I could probably help a bit, but I won't for 3 reasons:
    1. Being a slave doesn't sound very appealing...
    2.I'm better at C#.
    2. I don't even play on Heavens Tear...
    Come to think of it, why do I even bother coming to this section of the forums?
    I figured I should do something with my sig, so I made this for fun. My very first (poorly made) animation. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As for why Luffy is murdering Naruto, I have no idea either, but it looks cool.b:laugh
  • jemima
    edited January 2009
    Options
    If u read well. She wants to make Java Applet. Which can be done only in Java. Correct me if Im wrong. C# and c/c++ are .net and use Native Languages. Computer Languages are all powerfull for different uses, not saying Java sucks but it is still good.

I wish I can help. I'm taking Computer Science in High School. Straight A's in Java although I can't help you with the requirement since I haven't covered Applet. If you need any help. Pm me, I can start reading books :P.
    C# is designed to work with the .NET framework, C and C++ however are not. In fact, they both predate the creation of C# by a considerable amount of time. Nearly two decades in the case of C++, and nearly three for C.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Native Languages".
    If you wish to learn more I would suggest something like Wikipedia for an overview.

Anyway, the point remains for an applet though.
    Assuming it's an online thing, why Java? There are far better web technologies out there. Silverlight with C#, if you feel like using C#; Flash; Javascript; server side languages like python, PHP, Perl, ASP.NET with C# if you want another way of using C#; etc.
  • Hisui - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Q: Why JAVA
    A: Because its my favorite interpretive language. Not only that, the average student is proficient at making web applications with Java instead of C# .NET framework. Swing is also much easier.

Q: Why not Excel
    A: No GUI. This would still require every guild to do their own spreadsheets = not easier for anyone. Also spreadsheets are ugly and a ***** to edit when you need things changed.

I'm also thinking about instead of making an applet we can just start with an application.

I'm surprised nobody asked me why I'm not doing this using matlab. ffs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Enrage - We Eat.
  • StellarAshes - Heavens Tear
    StellarAshes - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Q: Why JAVA
    A: Because its my favorite interpretive language.

Kind of off-topic but...

Are you serious about Java being interpreted? Because it's compiled, though to byte code that runs on VM and not to machine code like C.
  • Hisui - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Meh. Half and half. I consider JAVA interpretive language because it shares the platform independence characteristics. While it is compiled into bytecode it is interpreted by the JVM.You can kind of say it has the best of both worlds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Enrage - We Eat.
  • Chouwi - Heavens Tear
    Chouwi - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Hi,

I'd like to help.
    I have good Java knowledge and swing too.

EDIT:
    By the way, an applet is a little application that runs in your browser. If you use swing, then it's a desktop application, which is good too (I would choose the second one).
    Furthermore, in order to be sure to always distribuate the last verion, we could use JWS (Java Web Start).

Cya.
  • Hisui - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Options
    yes! application it is.

let me draw up a few simple UML diagrams and run it by you. ill PM from now on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Enrage - We Eat.
  • Chouwi - Heavens Tear
    Chouwi - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Btw, I don't know anything about TW (my faction isn't strong enough), so I need a file with all rules about that for the algorithms.

I hope this is not a big deal :)
    Cya
  • jemima
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Btw, I don't know anything about TW (my faction isn't strong enough), so I need a file with all rules about that for the algorithms.

I hope this is not a big deal :)
    Cya
    I'd imagine that the algorithms are more in the nature of distributing the pay to members, hence the ability to customise the algorithms.

It'd be more along the lines of you have a list of people, with levels, and an algorithm, something like say pay=floor((level-50)/10)*100000, so 6x gets 100k, 7x gets 200k, 8x gets 300k, etc.
    Your program than goes through the list of players, and gives a list of how much each player gets.

That's how I interpreted it at least.
  • Yukiko - Lost City
    Yukiko - Lost City Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Q: Why not Excel
    A: No GUI. This would still require every guild to do their own spreadsheets = not easier for anyone. Also spreadsheets are ugly and a ***** to edit when you need things changed.

Excel can have a GUI o.O