EXP. Stealers getting old..

Options
DarkReCon - Heavens Tear
DarkReCon - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
ok.. I dont gripe about much cause it is just a game but this BS with all the EXP. STEALING is about to make me stop playing.. Everyone complains about the KS'n but that is just a fact of lagability duration mixed with the channeling times of clerics and mages against BM's and Barbs that have to run to the target, OK .. NP.. But EXP STEALING is way out of control... and willfully knowing what they are doing.. I have a VENO also and today was just grinding me and my pets up lvls when a Barb had come by and attacked what I was killing. At first I though he was attempting to KS me so I asked him politely "what he was needing for his quest so I dont go after it cause Im just grinding", he replied "he wasnt questing".. OK now I am pondering why he just did that when I had it almost dead so I went back to grinding when he came by again and hit what I was hitting.. I asked him to "stop trying to KS casue I am not questing, Im grinding" to where is reply was "I know".. this went on for a couple more kills where he was just running up and taking one shot and running back, so I moved locations and he followed me.. After about another 20 minutes of this **** going on I asked him what was his problem in a rude way to which his replay was "Are you stupid, Im stealing your experience points and there is nothing you can do about it".. I really wish I would have kept a kool head and taken a screenshot of it but didnt think about it cause normally I have FRAPS running and this time I didnt..

SOMETHING really needs to be addressed about his ongoing problem that just seems to be getting worse.. I enjoy this game and would really hate to stop playing it cause of these immature punks... Ok now that I got my rant out and off my chest I can go back to the game and hopefully not run into another one..

P.S. I told a couple of buds what was going on and they said it was happening to them also today and it was with a few others around them.. There was a group (all the same clan tags) that was running around Broken Bow Bluffs today do it to everyone. 1 hit and running to the next..
Why wont my sig work.. Not kool..
Post edited by DarkReCon - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    lessQQ more pew pew
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    Sigr - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    If you've talked to them about it, and asked them to stop(take screenshots) and they continue to do it, report them.
    lessQQ more pew pew

I see the troll brigade with nothing useful to contribute has crawled out from underneath its rock.
    Lament of a Hybrid Veno: Where oh where did my spirit go? b:sad

I hate ranged mobs. b:angry

I <3 my cactopod. b:pleased
  • Warmaiden - Lost City
    Warmaiden - Lost City Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    If that chump tried that on any player in Lost City, that player will kill him and have him on the guild's KOS list. Let's see how he can ever level up or play in peace.

What comes around goes around.

Since you are on Heaven's Tear, I'll recommend what Sigr said.
  • XPapewaiox - Lost City
    XPapewaiox - Lost City Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I'm fairly certain experience is split between players dependent on damage dealt. You could easily check this yourself by killing a monster solo, checking the exp, and then seeing how much you get after he hits it once.

Having accidentally hit a monster myself and then backed off from another player, I can tell you it's extremely paltry sums of experience awarded for a single hit.
    edited January 2009
    Options
    If you've talked to them about it, and asked them to stop(take screenshots) and they continue to do it, report them.

I see the troll brigade with nothing useful to contribute has crawled out from underneath its rock.

damn straight, thats how i role

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kitse - Sanctuary
    Kitse - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Old, old, old problem, been happening ever since I started MMOs since 1999. I have just gotten to the point that I just log out and come back later, go watch a movie or something else in RL. I guess it's just my pacivism and knowledge that there's nothing that can be done in PVE servers unless the devs get heavily into the code to create truly good mechanisms to prevent it and I don't see that happening here.

The only game ive ever seen that fixes this is EQ2, they lock mobs and groups of mobs to the first hitter, until and unless they unlock it by hitting a help me button.
  • Klastel - Heavens Tear
    Klastel - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    damn straight, thats how i role

you spelled roll wrong genius
    edited January 2009
    Options
    you spelled roll wrong genius

oops, im human, who woulda figured?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Allerick - Heavens Tear
    Allerick - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Well the devs could impliment something like what they do in EQ2. You can lock your encounters if you want, so once you attack a mob, the encounter gets locked, and nobody can jump into your fight. It works both ways tho, you can't be healed either, by someone just running by, while your in a difficult fight.

But I think encounter locking works great in EQ2 and should maybe be considered here as well.

I've had this XP stealing happen a bunch to me the past couple days, was wonding WTH they were doing, killing my mob just as I was about to kill it myself. Now I know what they were doing. GRRR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aerole - Heavens Tear
    Aerole - Heavens Tear Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I'm fairly certain experience is split between players dependent on damage dealt. You could easily check this yourself by killing a monster solo, checking the exp, and then seeing how much you get after he hits it once.

Having accidentally hit a monster myself and then backed off from another player, I can tell you it's extremely paltry sums of experience awarded for a single hit.
    I was also under the impression this is how it works.. didn't know someone could steal your xp. It sounds like a waste of time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Signature designed by Forsakenx <3
  • Ryukino - Sanctuary
    Ryukino - Sanctuary Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Old, old, old problem, been happening ever since I started MMOs since 1999. I have just gotten to the point that I just log out and come back later, go watch a movie or something else in RL. I guess it's just my pacivism and knowledge that there's nothing that can be done in PVE servers unless the devs get heavily into the code to create truly good mechanisms to prevent it and I don't see that happening here.

The only game ive ever seen that fixes this is EQ2, they lock mobs and groups of mobs to the first hitter, until and unless they unlock it by hitting a help me button.

ffxi does this as well and it works out so nicely
    Well the devs could impliment something like what they do in EQ2. You can lock your encounters if you want, so once you attack a mob, the encounter gets locked, and nobody can jump into your fight. It works both ways tho, you can't be healed either, by someone just running by, while your in a difficult fight.

But I think encounter locking works great in EQ2 and should maybe be considered here as well.

I've had this XP stealing happen a bunch to me the past couple days, was wonding WTH they were doing, killing my mob just as I was about to kill it myself. Now I know what they were doing. GRRR

ya ffxi does it like i just sayed but it allows u to be healed by an outside party.
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I was also under the impression this is how it works.. didn't know someone could steal your xp. It sounds like a waste of time.
    That is how it works. While yes, I suppose you could sort of call it XP stealing, in that it often doesn't help that much, but it does hurt your XP gain slightly, it's hardly particularly viable for either annoying someone, or gaining any significant amount of XP.

The end result is they spend a lot of time for very little gain, just to annoy someone, which they could do more effectively in other ways.
  • Lessie - Lost City
    Lessie - Lost City Posts: 917 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    PK them..... oh wait.
    Ask for their permission then PK them b:laugh

ok on topic...
    If someone did this on a PVE server or PVP b4 lvl 30 would they get banned ?b:question
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ Made by Saitada ^^

Dieho: I win 15 on 1, I roll all of your guild to sz all by myself !
    Lessie: Proof?
    Dieho: I dont have any, but my word is more than enough.
    Lessie: Well I won 33 on 1 the other day :D
    b:cute
  • Faustinna - Heavens Tear
    Faustinna - Heavens Tear Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Not sure how much XP a barb is going to steal from you concidering his damage. I 3 shot mobs...in the air....60 feet above the ground...so really havent experienced this problem b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Livebynight - Sanctuary
    Livebynight - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    man it happens all the time it gets old real quick, i help out my friends on their quests and then some guy will just run in and kill the one were attacking , it gets real old i can understand if u accidently attack one tht someone is attacking but if you continue to hit it or go after tht same person again and again then its just bs, they just dont want to do the work themselves they have to leach off of other GOOD players for their exp.b:pleased
  • bzbee
    bzbee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    lessQQ more pew pew

@Sigr...see Stickygreen's siggy....don't argue with him. ^_~
    Phoenix plume count: 2450 b:sad

I want the phoenix because I think its pretty. b:cute
  • Pharse - Heavens Tear
    Pharse - Heavens Tear Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Well, I personally haven't had this happen much as I grind only where there aren't many low lvl players. I can see it being only benifical to a lower lvl player as they may not be able to kill the monster themselves that you are killing and may get as much xp as they would killing one their lvl. That being said, it is probably just a kid who wants to **** you off. A bully in RL and ignoring them makes them go away.

There is always the town portal spell. Then maybe they won't follow you.

I would say screen shot it and report it also.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I see a partial positive side to this.

If someone steals some percentage of the XP of a creature I am attacking, and I still get the loot, then that means the loot-to-XP ratio increases.

For example, suppose there is a Creature that gives 100 XP and 1 Coin each. If you kill 100 of them, that's 10,000 XP and 100 coins.

If someone steals 10% of the XP, then each creature will give you 90 XP each. To reach 10,0000 XP, you need to kill 10,000 / 90 = 111.11 Creatures.

As a result, you get 111 Coins instead of 100 Coins after getting 10,000 XP.

This is similar to the reincarnation stragey, in which each time you die, you improve your Spirit-to-XP ratio.

(No, I am not being sarcastic. I've seriously considered purposely dying several times so that I can improve my Spirit-to-XP ratio. It's also why I don't mind dying when facing bosses. Anyways...)

That aside, I think a possible solution to this problem is to thank the people leeching XP off of you. Repeatedly. Explain the math to them and tell them that they are doing a service to you. I suggest using lots of numbers in your explanation. Point out how generous they in that they are effectively giving loot to you, as they are never getting any drops due to the small amounts of XP they are stealing.

Can you imagine giving away all the loot and a large percentage (over 50%) of your XP you have acquired after two hours of grinding? At least in FB runs, everyone gets XP and Spirit. Here, they get less XP than normal, and no drops at all. Wow, these people are either generous or idiots.

Anyways, if these folks are just trying to annoy you, then thanking them repeatedly for the service should help deter them. It's almost like reverse psychology, but you actually have the math to prove that you are right.
  • Naeva - Sanctuary
    Naeva - Sanctuary Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    This has been happening to me now and then, and I think it is irritating though worst is when I am questing and someone comes around and kill my prey in the last second and I do not end up getting the "collect" kill.
  • MarrokBran - Heavens Tear
    MarrokBran - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I had this happen to me yesterday, repeatedly...I stopped what I was doing and waited untill they started killing something and returned the favor. After 2 times...never bothered me again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    mercyt's Husband ☺friendly☻ helpful ♥ non-warring faction
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    That aside, I think a possible solution to this problem is to thank the people leeching XP off of you. Repeatedly.
    This is exactly what I would do. Why would I complain if another character helps me kill monsters (let's say...) 10% faster for 10% less XP per monster, except I get to keep all the loot? Same XP, mo' money.

I kinda wish I had this guy following me around all the time! b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Renara - Heavens Tear
    Renara - Heavens Tear Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    This is exactly what I would do. Why would I complain if another character helps me kill monsters (let's say...) 10% faster for 10% less XP per monster, except I get to keep all the loot? Same XP, mo' money.

Same here. I could get my Hercules that much sooner!
    "Sorry, we don't need a barbarian. We have a frog."
  • Ryukino - Sanctuary
    Ryukino - Sanctuary Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options

he was contributing to the killing he just hit it once and ran.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options

Depends on your ratio of time spent fighting vs. looking for another monster to kill. If it's crowded and you're having a lot of downtime between fights, then the 10% faster to kill might only translate into, say, 1% less time but at 10% less exp.

Doesn't the mob stay aggro to whoever damaged it? After he hit your mob, if he starts fighting his own mob, you could start flying or jump somewhere where the mob couldn't attack you. Once your mob gives up trying to get to you, it should make a beeline for him while he's in the middle of another fight.
  • DarkReCon - Heavens Tear
    DarkReCon - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Well me and a but ran a test on this after the suggestion and the outcome was this..

On the LVL40 mob earning 237 exp on solo was only earning 187 on one hit from my bud, that is a 50 point change.. Yeah 50 points is not good enough to lvl up on for the one stealing but that is 50 points less that I earn while grinding.. Also figured it out to an average of 22% loss so at lower lvls you wont see much of a hindrance but at higher lvls hes stealing alot.. Im putting a FRAP vid together on the this..

Oh he wasnt a low lvl barb, when I check his info he was wearing lvl60 armor..
    Why wont my sig work.. Not kool..
  • LordHakan - Heavens Tear
    LordHakan - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Same thing happens to me, I is M-A-D, MAD! I had almost taken down a monster 6 lvls higher then me, some barb comes rushing in, one hit, I die, he gets all the EXP. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! This happened a while back though, can't remember all the details. I also got 7 other chars, happens then too. I almost killem then-BAM! I lose some of the EXP it would have dropped and all of the drops. Grrrrrrrrrrr! It is an outrage! We should organize a strike. We don't play unless the GM's put a stop to this!

P.S.-It's just an idea...
    Omnia Vivant, Omnia Intersiconexa
    Everything is Alive, Everything is Interconected
  • Larkel - Heavens Tear
    Larkel - Heavens Tear Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I wouldn't quit the game over one dude. He was clearly griefing you. You should have flagged him. Don't even waste your time. There is always gonna be *******s in every MMO you play.

I find if I don't say anything at all, they will stop and move on. Or just stand there a minute not killing till they get gone.

It would be nice if the first person that hits gets all the xp, but when the mechanics of the game allow for the other that just hits at all to get xp. It's sure to happen. What really pisses me off is when you had it first and they can loot. I don't know how that is possible, but that happens alot to me and it sucks balls, lol.

Anyway... if you quit then you just let him win! Don't do dat.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Depends on your ratio of time spent fighting vs. looking for another monster to kill.

However, most people can change their ratios by doing something different.

If my time bottle neck was finding another monster to kill and someone else wanted to hit those monsters too, I would probably send them a squad invite. Or I might do sixty percent damage on that monster and then start looking for something else, and finishing off my monster on my way there. Or I might go do something else (for example, I would not be looking for much experience from monsters that other people want for quests where only one person in a squad can get credit and where lots of other people are also fighting those monsters and only a few spawn).
  • BearHunter - Sanctuary
    BearHunter - Sanctuary Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Have a hi-level friend bring Krixx or Chin, whoever is closer, to the site (which is not safe area) and watch what happens b:laugh

OK, kidding. b:victory