You can outbid yourself at the auction house????

damani
damani Posts: 105 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
As crappy as the system is set up (like no max bids and being forced to camp the AH near auction ending times), I casually tried to bid on an item i was already winning, with 0 minutes left on auctin..................and it let me bid! Just to make sure i wasn't actually losing, I tried to bid again, and VOILA! Let me outbid myself a SECOND time, and AGAIN raising the amount of time left in auction.....................

This is WRONG, FIX IT PLEASE!
Post edited by damani on

Comments

• andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Why is it wrong? If you're winning, the item is shown in white. If the bid on the item is not yours, it's grayed out. Just don't bid on white names o_O
    Note that this should be done in the 'my bids' window, as it's easier to check it there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mua - Lost City
    Mua - Lost City Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    When you win you get the money back as if you'd been outbid by somebody else anyway so as long as the 2nd bid isn't monstrously high, it's not too bad. I accidentally outbid myself when I was trying to get lowbie gear for a friend but the item and the first bid were both sent to me seperately. (1 Auction won mail and 1 Auction error mail)
    Mua - 8x WF - Conqueror
  • damani
    edited January 2009
    I just think you should not be allowed to outbid yourself.

At a real auction, you cannot outbid yourself, and it is ludicrous to think that anyone would.

Some people have a natural curiosity to try things out, and I think we should be protected from irrational things like being able to outbid yourself.

I don't care that it cost me 10K, i care b/c it added 40 minutes to the auction :/
  • damani
    edited January 2009
    When you win you get the money back as if you'd been outbid by somebody else anyway so as long as the 2nd bid isn't monstrously high, it's not too bad. I accidentally outbid myself when I was trying to get lowbie gear for a friend but the item and the first bid were both sent to me seperately. (1 Auction won mail and 1 Auction error mail)

Ah so i'll find out the truth to this in 30 minutes (grr) but that makes sense and is cool.

Does this mean i can jack the bid waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up high tho? Wouldn't it be returned then?
  • andracil
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, but you don't you get your winning bid back.
    Oh, and failed bids are refunded instantly - check a postbox.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mua - Lost City
    Mua - Lost City Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    damani wrote: »
    I just think you should not be allowed to outbid yourself.

At a real auction, you cannot outbid yourself, and it is ludicrous to think that anyone would.

Some people have a natural curiosity to try things out, and I think we should be protected from irrational things like being able to outbid yourself.

I don't care that it cost me 10K, i care b/c it added 40 minutes to the auction :/

True but everyone knows what curiousity did to the cat, and because of all the expensive gear in the AH we should really be more careful when using it. It should be fixed but it's not going to ruin the game if they never do.

Now the Flesh Ream bug on the other hand...
    Mua - 8x WF - Conqueror
  • andracil
    edited January 2009
    I see what you did there. ;O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sajra - Lost City
    Sajra - Lost City Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    it's not something you can eaisily accidently do, just aviod doing it in the future b:bye.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Forsaken Sigs

Sajra - Level 31 - Hell Archer.
  • damani
    edited January 2009
    andracil wrote: »
    Yeah, but you don't you get your winning bid back.
    Oh, and failed bids are refunded instantly - check a postbox.

Expound upon "failed".

I bid 10k, then i bid 12k to outbid myself, it ships me the 10k and leaves the auction at 12k still right?

and if i win then i pay 12K?

thanks
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    damani wrote: »
    Expound upon "failed".

I bid 10k, then i bid 12k to outbid myself, it ships me the 10k and leaves the auction at 12k still right?

and if i win then i pay 12K?

thanks

yup thats how it works
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I'd like to know what the cancel bid button is used for?

Well, so I place a bid on something. Now something better comes along. I click cancel bid and it says it can't cancel cause I'm the highest bidder atm. Well if someone outbids me, my bid is automatically cancelled and refunded.
    So why is there a cancel bid button and how can I use it?
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I'd like to know what the cancel bid button is used for?

Well, so I place a bid on something. Now something better comes along. I click cancel bid and it says it can't cancel cause I'm the highest bidder atm. Well if someone outbids me, my bid is automatically cancelled and refunded.
    So why is there a cancel bid button and how can I use it?

when you bid on something it shows on you items bid tab, when you are top bidder the name is in white, if you are outbid your moeny is refunded and the item is in grey , if you cancel bid it takes the item off the list (yes u can only do this if you are not top bid) so yah its just so you know youre not interested in following the item anymore i guess
  • Daibar - Heavens Tear
    Daibar - Heavens Tear Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I don't think there's any bug here. In fact, I think it's a good idea to be able to outbid yourself.
    Lets say there's a mirage celestone on sale in the auction house and you bid 5k. Later, realizing that this bid isn't going to hold up if you keep it like this, you go back and rebid 20k, and end up winning.

What's wrong with that? If you had kept your bid at 5k you would have lost. This way ensures that you can make a better bid if you feel so inclined, or made a mistake with the first bid, (eg hit bid before you entered what you really wanted to bid).
  • Jahlynn - Sanctuary
    Jahlynn - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I don't think there's any bug here. In fact, I think it's a good idea to be able to outbid yourself.
    Lets say there's a mirage celestone on sale in the auction house and you bid 5k. Later, realizing that this bid isn't going to hold up if you keep it like this, you go back and rebid 20k, and end up winning.

What's wrong with that? If you had kept your bid at 5k you would have lost. This way ensures that you can make a better bid if you feel so inclined, or made a mistake with the first bid, (eg hit bid before you entered what you really wanted to bid).

That's why the option is there.

Jahlynn
  • fyreal
    fyreal Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009

You don't know that you would have lost. In theory, you can buy a mirage celestone for 5k. By outbidding yourself, you lose every chance you had at getting it for 5k. You also have not gained anything by outbidding yourself.
    A bid with a possible loss an no possible gain is a bad bid.

If you were to be outbid, you could easily rebid. You have at least 20 minutes to regain the winning bid.
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    fyreal wrote: »
    You don't know that you would have lost. In theory, you can buy a mirage celestone for 5k. By outbidding yourself, you lose every chance you had at getting it for 5k. You also have not gained anything by outbidding yourself.
    A bid with a possible loss an no possible gain is a bad bid.

If you were to be outbid, you could easily rebid. You have at least 20 minutes to regain the winning bid.

Thats just not true. A bid of 5k on a mirage stone has 0% of winning. Somebody is bound to come along and bid more. And as far as rebidding goes, I certainly don't spend 24 hours per day in this game. When my 5k is outbid, I more than likely will not be around to rebid. I would rather bid 25K on a mirage when the current bid is 5k and ensure I won it, rather than having to rebid every so often.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Burn_ur_ass - Sanctuary
    Burn_ur_ass - Sanctuary Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    when you bid on something it shows on you items bid tab, when you are top bidder the name is in white, if you are outbid your moeny is refunded and the item is in grey , if you cancel bid it takes the item off the list (yes u can only do this if you are not top bid) so yah its just so you know youre not interested in following the item anymore i guess

Its kinda stupid though.... if the owner of the item is allowed to remove the item from the auction when it has a bid, why cant we remove our bids? it doesnt make any sence....
    in my opinion a good auction consists in the following:

- Players must be allowed to put a max bid on the item so we dont have to camp the damn auction (example... the current bid is 200k i put 400k as max bid, and if someone comes along and wants to bid the item, lets say for example for 300k, my "proxibid" stays on top, meaning 310k current bid with me wining, until someone gives higher than 400k)

- a player shouldnt be allowed to outbid himself (it should apear that u are the highest bidder on the item, or something like that)

- Once an item is on the auction and it has a bid already, the owner shouldnt be able to cancel it, same for bidder

Dont see any other problems on the auction sistem beside this ones (add more if u see them). this is how a good auction works...
    Saving Ladies...For the Old Fashioned Joy of Killing....

hope the only lady u wanna save is me sethie... b:cute
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Well, if you like to pay more for the item... go ahead.

But it really is kind of a dumb idea unless you can 100% predict that the next price you bid will 100% give you the item at the price you bid (because your bid shows how much money you have n stuff). Otherwise, waste of money.

But hey, it has a situational use at about 0.0001% of the time. So yea, keep it.
    It burns the money of noobs anyhow, so I like it. b:cool
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • Burn_ur_ass - Sanctuary
    Burn_ur_ass - Sanctuary Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Well, if you like to pay more for the item... go ahead.

But it really is kind of a dumb idea unless you can 100% predict that the next price you bid will 100% give you the item at the price you bid (because your bid shows how much money you have n stuff). Otherwise, waste of money.

But hey, it has a situational use at about 0.0001% of the time. So yea, keep it.
    It burns the money of noobs anyhow, so I like it. b:cool

its not a question of predict the price but to give the max bid for wich u were willing to buy the item...
    Saving Ladies...For the Old Fashioned Joy of Killing....

hope the only lady u wanna save is me sethie... b:cute