About Undine Strike

Options
Klath - Sanctuary
Klath - Sanctuary Posts: 437 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Wizard
Has any HeavensTear/Lost City wizard obtained this skill yet?
Just want to know if it works like cleric debuff (30% of equip resistance, and degrades if target resistances are higher), or it actually reduces 60% of the value you see on the screen?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Klath - Sanctuary on

Comments

• streaker
    streaker Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    it takes away 60% resistance, but ull only do about 30% more dmg which is still a lot
  • Seifa - Lost City
    Seifa - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Undine is hard to get and is by far one of the best skills LOL.

yeah its about 30% more damage, and the debuff is less on people i think..
  • Aedril - Sanctuary
    Aedril - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    It all depends on the armor your enemy is using.

Despite what people believe, it will actually increase your damage way more on robe users than on heavy armor.

A L80 char using arcane armor would likely have around 7k mdef, which roughly translates to 67-68% Mdef%. This means you only do 32% of your damage. After undine, it reduces their mdef from 7k to 2.8k Mdef, which should be roughly 53% Mdef%.
    So your damage increased from 32% to 53%, which is 67% more damage after undine strike versus before undine.

Note, you still do more damage to heavy armor users, as they have less base Mdef%, but if you are fighting robes, undine drastically improves the damage you do by MUCH more than 30%

Versus heavy armor, you should do around 25-30% more damage after undine is on.
  • Ty - Heavens Tear
    Ty - Heavens Tear Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    It also allows you to do some decent damage on elemental resistant mobs, i.e. will of the pheonix on fire based physical mobs.

But the best use of Undine is in a squad with other Wizards, like on bosses or assist attacks in TW on cat pulling barbs.

In PvE the 2 secs lost in the channel/casting is like a casting a gush/pyro, you'll still come out better off in damage but generally its more of a boss/gank type skill.
    I like pie
  • Klath - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Options
    It all depends on the armor your enemy is using.

Despite what people believe, it will actually increase your damage way more on robe users than on heavy armor.

A L80 char using arcane armor would likely have around 7k mdef, which roughly translates to 67-68% Mdef%. This means you only do 32% of your damage. After undine, it reduces their mdef from 7k to 2.8k Mdef, which should be roughly 53% Mdef%.
    So your damage increased from 32% to 53%, which is 67% more damage after undine strike versus before undine.

Note, you still do more damage to heavy armor users, as they have less base Mdef%, but if you are fighting robes, undine drastically improves the damage you do by MUCH more than 30%

Versus heavy armor, you should do around 25-30% more damage after undine is on.
    Not that i dont believe you or anything, but you are l78.
    Got any wizard on other server with undine strike? or you are saying those stuff based solely on guessing and mathematics?

Because clerics seals work like this:
    Physical seal on robes = 2-3% reduction lost.
    Physical seal on heavy = 10-15% reduciton lost.
    Elemental seal on robes = 3-5% reduction lost.
    Elemental seal on heavy = 8-12% reduction lost.

It doesnt reduce it by the final value, but only by the equipment value, on stats screen, a 7800 resistance goes to 6700-6800 if debuff with lv10 elemental seal (-30%).
  • Aedril - Sanctuary
    Aedril - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Not that i dont believe you or anything, but you are l78.
    Got any wizard on other server with undine strike? or you are saying those stuff based solely on guessing and mathematics?

Because clerics seals work like this:
    Physical seal on robes = 2-3% reduction lost.
    Physical seal on heavy = 10-15% reduciton lost.
    Elemental seal on robes = 3-5% reduction lost.
    Elemental seal on heavy = 8-12% reduction lost.

It doesnt reduce it by the final value, but only by the equipment value, on stats screen, a 7800 resistance goes to 6700-6800 if debuff with lv10 elemental seal (-30%).

As I said it depends on the level of your opponent as well as the armor they are using. Also, I never said that a 70% mdef would go down to 10% with a -60% debuff.

Yes, I have a 100+ wizard on a private server that I use for testing gear, spells, and situations, but i fail to see how that makes a difference.

I have also created a formula that loosely models the relationship between the raw mdef number and mdef% that gives someone, which is why i said around, not exactly. In addition, my numbers were based entirely on a character that has no mdef buffs on at all (which I know is not entirely realistic - the numbers you quoted above prove that) but the numbers are displayed to prove the basic premise.

What you should get from my previous post is something that Ty stated in a clearer form: The higher the elemental resistance to start with, the greater incremental damage increase undine strike will cause.

If a mob has 99% fire resist and debuffing them turns with undine somehow only turns that into 95% fire resist, this means fire spells will do 400% more damage than they did before.
  • Klath - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Alright, we got undine strike and tested it.
    71% resist -> 63%
    51% resist -> 44%
    30% resist -> 24%
    9% resist -> 3%

In addition with cleric debuff maxed (-30%).

71% resist -> 48% resist. (nearly double the damage)

Undine Strike is NOT that orgasmaticly powerful as all wizards think, all it does is pretty much negate clerics buff, which is a great help, but will never increase your damage to the point you are thinking.
    After undine, it reduces their mdef from 7k to 2.8k Mdef, which should be roughly 53% Mdef%.
    You probably meant 5.8k...
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    All I care is undine strike helps me do about 500-700 damage more per spell and its all that really matters. Its the same damage increase for robes and heavy. Bring in two mages and only one needs to have undine strike and thats just about all you need.
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    All I care is undine strike helps me do about 500-700 damage more per spell and its all that really matters. Its the same damage increase for robes and heavy. Bring in two mages and only one needs to have undine strike and thats just about all you need.

PvP Statistics.

Undine does 2k approx. more damage in PvE. On Mag resist too, which makes it a useful pve spell.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
This discussion has been closed.