Combos

chipsing1234
chipsing1234 Posts: 205 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
Is it just me (which by now I'm pretty sure isn't) or are combos bugged in this game? I make a combo, set it to a hotkey, and use it...except that about half the time I stop midway through the combo (like i just stop attacking even if the command is "attack") or if I get to a spell (yes, I've checked that I had enough mana/chi/not in cooldown) i stop as well. It's very annoying, since I just stand there and do nothing. Then I have to press keys in a rush before the enemy devours me. Sometimes it works perfectly fine, but many times it doesn't. Anyone know why or what to do?
Post edited by chipsing1234 on

Comments

• Briegg - Sanctuary
    Briegg - Sanctuary Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    yeah i get that problem too
    the macros needs some work

and when you get to have alot of skills you need to combo

anyways this is what i do

first of all
    if you have the combo set up on lets say
    F2

ONLY! click it once
    even if it takes a little bit to start to attack
    because if you click it twice
    it cancels the combo

so be completely sure that your combo isn't going
    before you click it again

next up
    try setting up multiple smaller combo's
    instead of just big huge ones
    or if you do use a big combo
    (say like seven skills on one combo)

have another smaller combo (say one with only like two or three skills)
    but make sure the skills in the smaller combo are different or atleast
    the later skills in the big combo
    (because the cool down time still applies)

k and some reason why combos stop mid way

are

some enemies do attacks that do like a quick freeze (halts your character)

or one of the skills hasn't reached it's cooldown time yet

or..

you have a skill in there that requires chi
    but you don't have enough chi
  • Amiris - Sanctuary
    Amiris - Sanctuary Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Combos are rather useless if one of the commands is attack. That command only attacks once, I believe, and it tends to cancel anything else in the combo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Credit to Symour for the signature.
    Amiris is my forum character. My actual main is Andralia.
    1,000 posts as of 10/01/09, which was also my birthday!
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Combos are rather useless if one of the commands is attack. That command only attacks once, I believe, and it tends to cancel anything else in the combo.

If you are an archer, your attack action almost always keeps attacking until your opponent dies or until you manage to do something else. (And sometimes you will continue to attack several times, when you were trying to do something else.)

I mean that that has been how attack has worked for me. Maybe other archers have had different experiences?
  • Jahlynn - Sanctuary
    Jahlynn - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    NOTE, for spell casters - mages and clerics - if your spell is interupted (which does happen somewhat randomly during casting if you are hit at all for damage), your current spell will fizzle and your whole chained macro will end as well.

Jahlynn
  • nightyne
    nightyne Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Exactly....interruption can be the problem.
    Chi
    Skill not recharged
    With my archer ( and blademaster ) I always end my combo with the basic attack so he/she does not just stand there after last skill is cast and mob is still alive.
    I use combos a lot...but be sure you edit/change them depending on what you are fighting. I always fight a few mobs of the same type manually until I know best strategy then edit my combo.
  • Daibar - Heavens Tear
    Daibar - Heavens Tear Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I've also noticed some powerup skills automatically break the chain, perhaps the instant power up ones? Eg. Alter Marrow Magical and Alter Marrow Physical.
  • chipsing1234
    edited January 2009
    As I said before, I am absolutely positive it is not because of a cooldown/not enough mana/chi issue. As an archer, after my knockback arrow is an attack command, and many times i knockback and just stand there, effectively ruining the knockback use. Plus I'm only in the lvl 20's, and no mobs there have any freeze spells that i know of: only slow (for movement debuffs). Also, sometimes, as my first command is also attack, i attack once and simply stand there again. After so many times of glitching, I've just stopped using combos...it's annoying to have to constantly be pressing keys with every enemy though. And yes, I do only press the combo key once...in the end, combos for me worked around 60% of the time. I was just wondering if there was a way to fix it...thanks for all the replies though
  • Imuretay - Heavens Tear
    Imuretay - Heavens Tear Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    This is going to sound dumb... how do you make a combo? Heck, I'm at lvl 24 and I've been pressing keys the entire time! There's an easier way?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ForlornSoul - Sanctuary
    ForlornSoul - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    This is going to sound dumb... how do you make a combo? Heck, I'm at lvl 24 and I've been pressing keys the entire time! There's an easier way?!

i was just going to ask the same thing 0.0
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    On the skill window, at the bottom, press create, then drag skills or the attack key to the slots, select an icon, and save the combo. You can then drag the combo icon (which should be in your skill window) to a shortkey to use it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nightyne
    nightyne Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Open your skills window and open your combo window. Drag and drop the skills in order that you wish to use them and then save. You can edit the combo any time after.
    Dont use a skill that requires chi too early or the whole combo will fail and if yiu are a archer or bm end with your normal attack so you continue to fight after using your skills in combo.
    Experiment and you will be ok.
  • ForlornSoul - Sanctuary
    ForlornSoul - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    andracil wrote: »
    On the skill window, at the bottom, press create, then drag skills or the attack key to the slots, select an icon, and save the combo. You can then drag the combo icon (which should be in your skill window) to a shortkey to use it.

took me a while to figure out what you meant, but essentially, press 'R', NEW, then in that box, select a combo icon, then drag skills into the open spaces below the icon, then hit save, move the combo icon into your attack bar

tyty i will try that :)
  • Imuretay - Heavens Tear
    Imuretay - Heavens Tear Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    OK, thanks for all the input! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chipsing1234
    edited January 2009
    I find it a bit humorous that this topic's original purpose (to discuss the glitching of combos) has turned instead into teaching others how to used the said glitched combos. If they wouldn't mind, I'd like to know how combos for the newly learned peoples work out for them...
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Wit my experience, the combos seem to develop glitches. I make a combo. I use it for a few days without any problems. Then all of a sudden it stops working. It usually stops at one particular point.
    I then delete the combo and make a new combo identical to the first. And provided I selected a new combo icon, everything seems to work fine again for the next few days.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    If one action in the macro is cancelled for whatever reason, the entire thing stops.
    So if your next item is still on cooldown it will fail to cast, and then your combo stops.
    And attack never ends. It's not, make one attack, it's start attacking, and keep on going until something else happens.

Taking into account those things I've never had any problems with macros, but to be fair, I pretty much never use them. You need to be there watching anyway, so you can just perform the next action yourself, and it makes it much less error prone, and able to adapt as things change.
  • guacanagarix
    guacanagarix Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    jemima wrote: »

Taking into account those things I've never had any problems with macros, but to be fair, I pretty much never use them. You need to be there watching anyway, so you can just perform the next action yourself, and it makes it much less error prone, and able to adapt as things change.

I'm a newbe, could you please elaborate a bit more why you prefer to watching and determine which skill to use next rather than macros.

I personally, only use the macro for the first attack, later on I continue the way you recomend. However, my goal is to make a combo that will last all the blue bar (PM?) using the strong skills as many times as possible on it.
  • Morayine - Sanctuary
    Morayine - Sanctuary Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i think macros are great, i use it all the time,
    wish only there is a way to combo also for my pet skills ??

I start with cast with the longest dot on it, then nxt, then nxt, then i use a normal attack so i run towards the mob and hit it once, then another cast, and then again normal attacks to end.
    Usually mob is right almost dead when i walk up for the normal attack, so i can instantly loot on the spot.

After some experimenting all works fine, and i adjust while i lvl up, and the kills last longer.

Has any1 used that button with the arrow ? Wlak behind mob ? I tried , nothing happend ?? Whats it for then ?

thx byb:pleased
    "There's a big difference knowing the Path, and Walking the Path"
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Macros are great since you can't beat the computer in quickness.

However, some mobs are able to interrupt the macros.
  • Morayine - Sanctuary
    Morayine - Sanctuary Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    so would still like answer if any1 knows ?

Are there combos possible for pet skills ?

And what is that, walk behind mobs arrow in the macros for ??

thx by
    "There's a big difference knowing the Path, and Walking the Path"
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    so would still like answer if any1 knows ?

Are there combos possible for pet skills ?

And what is that, walk behind mobs arrow in the macros for ??

thx by

It's a very bad translation of what it does.

In the PW-MY version it's called the "Back Skill Circulation" command which, while not much better, makes infinitely more sense. It makes the macro "walk backwards" through the commands in the macro.

Logging off Delphi...

Logged off

Logging on Heaven's Tear....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]