Leveling up Wizard Skills... where to spend points

seasnake
seasnake Posts: 3 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Wizard
I try to read the Wizard guides to give me an indication of where to spend skill points, the best way to spend them while leveling up, but I haven't found anywhere that gives a good tree for doing this.

Hopefully people can post what skills should be taken (placed one point into ASAP), and what skills should be immediately maxed.

So far I am maxing pyro, gush, and stone barrier and working to max sandstorm as soon as I get it (I'm a light mage). I have one point in fire skills all the way to the advanced pyrogram skill and am wondering if I shlould hold off on the tree for awhile or continue with it to unlock future fire skills.

Can someone write a bare minimum sill guide that says put a point here as soon as you are able, and max out the folowing in a specific order (or the best way to do them)

Also I need to know if I try to level up and max out all the manufacturing skills if I'm going to have any problems when trying to level up other skills. I am not sure if I will be better off buying equipment or manufacturing (it costs a lot and is a lot of work to level up manufacturing skills, and a case could be made that it could be both easier and cheaper to buy equipment from player shops rather than making your own and that at the highest levels once you have equipment you like that the manufacturing skills don't serve much of any purpose... ideas and thoughts on this, and how it affects being able to level other skills are welcome).
Post edited by seasnake on

Comments

• Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Pyrogram - max
    Gush - max
    Stone Rain - max
    Earth Barrier - max
    Sandstorm - max

Everything else at 1.

Those are the most important ones, you'll never run out of SP if you stick to that. For PvE, you don't need anything else. Distance Shrink and Phoenix do their job at 1.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • seasnake
    edited January 2009
    are you saying that I would be better off not placing single points elsewheres? I mean no need to get single points in say the fire tree after pyro (or should I spend one in each til I obtain pheonix), and no need to put points in the other trees after... or ...

Is there any advantage to not spending points (I mean having a large amount unused)

I also don't like stone rain... will I use it when I am able to have sandstorm, expecially since I never use it (I can easily get to level 30 without ever casting stone rain)... for PVE I don't see its use

you also stated for PVE... I need to know what to get for PVP as well
  • streaker
    streaker Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I go with the skills that look interesting/usefull to me, and i use all my skills as each serves its on purpose, except for crown of flame, and wont level that fire suicide bomb either...
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    seasnake wrote: »
    are you saying that I would be better off not placing single points elsewheres? I mean no need to get single points in say the fire tree after pyro (or should I spend one in each til I obtain pheonix), and no need to put points in the other trees after... or ...

Is there any advantage to not spending points (I mean having a large amount unused)

I also don't like stone rain... will I use it when I am able to have sandstorm, expecially since I never use it (I can easily get to level 30 without ever casting stone rain)... for PVE I don't see its use

you also stated for PVE... I need to know what to get for PVP as well
    No, unused points are pretty much worthless, other than being able to buy important skills whenever you can upgrade them.

And for the love of god, just max Stone Rain. Not doing so is a stupid idea, period. Using pyrogram/gush/sandstorm only for water element mobs is just ****.
  • seasnake
    edited January 2009
    was really hoping there would be a better skill than stone rain to use... it really isn't my favorite
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    CeliaZ - Sanctuary Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    seasnake wrote: »
    was really hoping there would be a better skill than stone rain to use... it really isn't my favorite

I don't like it either. I get a interuppted very often with this skill. I didnt lvl stone rain and I got to lvl 46 just fine. If you have trouble killing water mobs because you didn't lvl stone rain, kill flying mobs. Works just fine with sandstorm-pyro/gush.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Then you're not using it right. Besides, it's also good for fire mobs where pyro is weakened.

Then again, maybe I'm just fond of being able to 3-hit water monsters around my level. Along with the fact that sandstorm-rain-repeat works pretty well on bosses, especially if you have some earth mastery. And not to forget it outdamages pyrogram on metal mobs when maxed...
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Personally the only reason I use pyrogram at all now is to grief people (aka tick hieros) without killing them. Stone Rain Gush and Sandstorm are my staples, and for a reason. Not to mention earth is the first mastery to be maxed, as it benefits two main skills instead of just one
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Thelron - Lost City
    Thelron - Lost City Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    What about the Ultimates?
This discussion has been closed.