it's been said that tanks are in major demand

The ferenczy - Sanctuary
The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Barbarian
What level praytell is it that barb tanks become so in demand? seems like every one running thier own quest wants some thing 30 lvls higher than what they are going after and are under the oppinion that a bm is a better tank for them since that is a 2 for 1 solution? i am just curious and this is kinda aimed at the higher lvled ppl out there but all input is welcome
one day the world will shout to me save us....
and i will whisper no.
Post edited by The ferenczy - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Gelikal - Sanctuary
    Gelikal - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I am only level 18, but have played MMORGs for a long time. Tanks develop into their awesomeness over time. But even in the lower levels, with the right build, you can take alot of pounding for someone out questing. All that being said, I am finding it hard to find anyone that wants to squad at my level, most likely it is because the danger level is far to low right now. When we can get into the dungeons our desirability will increase.
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Ya'll need to wait unil you a higher level. Generally the real need for tanks comes into play with bosses, particularly past lvl50. Not everyone parties for killing mobs (I wish they did).

At lvls below 30, almost all mobs are physical (barb's breeze through), but races are split until lvl20. Past lvl30 most mobs are magical (harder for you, but easier for almost all others). The stand off magical attacks don't hurt people using arcane or light armor (archers/wizzies/clerics/venos/BMs) as much as it hurts you. So a lot of people don't party with you much here either.

But past lvl50 or whenever theres a boss involved, that when the tank is called upon. Also note that most parties may require more than one DD/cleric it almost always just requires 1 tank.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • The ferenczy - Sanctuary
    The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    well hazardouse that was kinda my point with this thread.

i mean i manage to get buy on getting my and most of my friends bosses tanked but nobody out side of a small circle of firends seems to need a tank at my lvl except to tank fb 19 - 29 - some ppl take a lvl 50 tank for 39. and a few cultivation bosses pass that it is quest grind. and low level fbs don't pay nothing. neither does doing other ppls cultivation quests. and that don't pay repairs.

bah nvm.
    one day the world will shout to me save us....
    and i will whisper no.
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    You're a lowbie, Ferenczy. You can't expect people to want you for anything decent.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Other than healing clerics, I can't imagine anybody more in demand than a tank. Maybe we've just been getting each other's messages, though, because I have not seen the demand for BM's that you have. What I have seen is a tremendous number of people who think that they have to have help from a whole squad that is at least 10-20 levels above the level of the quest. I have a pool with some friends on when we will see the first world chat request for level 60+ help killing Florafang.
  • MeatShielder - Sanctuary
    MeatShielder - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    well, i'm lvl 38 and i'm yet to see anyone looking for a tank. if im questing and i invite people i get easy groups, but everyone does. i've got 4375hp and over 2600 def with my personal buffs, yet still noone looks for tanks. i can solo lvl 48 mobs with very little downtime, yet, no squads. i'm very interested to know when a mass HP tank such as me would come into demand.
  • Ithilmir - Sanctuary
    Ithilmir - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    At your level, there's hardly anything to tank other than the odd boss. When you start getting into the 50s, the need for a tank becomes obvious. Barbarians have it hard early on because they can't do much, but they show their worth in the mid-levels because they fulfill the basic necessity of a team.
    edited January 2009
    Mm... i really dislike being useless until higher lvls lol, i mean its not like i need help with any quests, unless its a boss, mini-bosses, or elites, as i call them i can solo with ease
    IE- i can beat farng by orchid temple with ease, but krixxix owns the **** out of me
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Personally, I love working with tanks, since they make my life easier.

However, some activities in this game only seem to be designed for solo or nearly solo play (harvesting and production, dragon questing, kiting, some quests, racing, and so on...). I am sure that I could figure out some way to do these in a team, but I have not been patient enough to do that yet. So I spend most of my game play time working without a tank.

However, if you find things slow going, and I am in game, let me know and I will see if I can help you.

Ideally, though, if I were you, I would try and find myself a cleric with a similar playing schedule. Cleric+Barbarian teams are totally awesome.

Also, try inviting other players, especially if you find yourself hunting the same monsters. Sometimes people will not like this idea but lots of people will be happy to team up with you.
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    At your level, there's hardly anything to tank other than the odd boss. When you start getting into the 50s, the need for a tank becomes obvious. Barbarians have it hard early on because they can't do much, but they show their worth in the mid-levels because they fulfill the basic necessity of a team.

Hmm, I don't remember any regular mobs in the 50s that really needed a tank either. From what I could see of the squishy classes working the same areas, they all had developed skills/strategies for dealing with regular mobs solo. Then again, squads where people play their roles (rather than just side-by-side racking up the needed counts) are more valuable in this level which is probably the point.

But, the phrase "other than the odd boss" is really where the action is. Play any other character class (except maybe cleric) and you will be struck by how much time you spend looking for a party with a tank and healer to make sure these are safe to do. You might also learn where to go to find people who are looking for such help (other than guild chat which never seems to go long without someone asking for help on one boss or another). I am almost never getting bosses done at the time I get the quest because I have to find a tank and healer (or a healer crazy enough to try it with me and no real tank). Meanwhile, my barb has only ever had to wait like 10 minutes and can offer to help without having to explain how he could be useful. If you aren't seeing the benefits at whatever level you are, play some more as something else.

By way of making my point, is anybody free to kill Gargantakong King with me? I still have these quests lingering from about level 59.... :)
  • finalending
    finalending Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    What level praytell is it that barb tanks become so in demand? seems like every one running thier own quest wants some thing 30 lvls higher than what they are going after and are under the oppinion that a bm is a better tank for them since that is a 2 for 1 solution? i am just curious and this is kinda aimed at the higher lvled ppl out there but all input is welcome

once u hit around 60-65, they'll be plenty of tanking at the twilight temple for mat gathering. also thats when we max some of our skills needed to tank, like shapeshifting intensity, true form, beast king inspiration etc.
  • IShoOtCatZ - Lost City
    IShoOtCatZ - Lost City Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Most non factor guilds need tanks Lv.40 or higher for boss runs etc. Factor guilds need barbs 60-70+.
    [SIGPIC]http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9623/catlauncherqj2.png[/SIGPIC]
    iShoOtCatZ - Lv.7x Archer - RageQuit
  • Enoteca - Sanctuary
    Enoteca - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    The stand off magical attacks don't hurt people using arcane or light armor (archers/wizzies/clerics/venos/BMs) as much as it hurts you. So a lot of people don't party with you much here either.

Ummmm, BMs wear heavy armor, do they not?
    Also, try inviting other players, especially if you find yourself hunting the same monsters. Sometimes people will not like this idea but lots of people will be happy to team up with you.

Yes, yes, and yes.
    Just make sure to say something first. I often don't accept squad requests if no one has said anything, because I haven't seen the person, and I don't know what they're killing ect.

I'm almost always looking for a squad, being a cleric. I can solo fine, but, lets just say I prefer healing :). I'm pretty much too low for anyone posting here but Gelikal, I would totally be willing to squad with you if you ever want, just pm me in-game.
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Ummmm, BMs wear heavy armor, do they not?

Not necessarily. Axe and other Str based builds do. But a claw build for eg has ooodles of dex and not a lot of Str and usually will be found wearing light armor. BMs are more versatile like that. Just like Venos. You'll find hvy, light and arcane venos.

Barbs, wizzies and clerics are usually locked into one kind of equipment purely due to their build/skills requirement. Although to be honest I have seen a few light armor clerics too.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
    edited January 2009
    Not necessarily. Axe and other Str based builds do. But a claw build for eg has ooodles of dex and not a lot of Str and usually will be found wearing light armor. BMs are more versatile like that. Just like Venos. You'll find hvy, light and arcane venos.

Barbs, wizzies and clerics are usually locked into one kind of equipment purely due to their build/skills requirement. Although to be honest I have seen a few light armor clerics too.

wizards also do well in light armor, i have one, hes got 3mag 1str 1dex per lvl build, and he can still get the job done (only lv 25 though)