cut down archer cost

_Xue_ - Sanctuary
_Xue_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Archer
hello guys, as you can see i am very new to archer, so just looking for some suggestions and help

i heard that archers cost a lot to play is that true?
if so what are some of the ways which i can use to cut down the costs of playing?

so far i got some ideas from Amiris' guide on how to make money and to stick with lvl1 arrows.

what else can i do?

also, what craft skills are good for archers? Apothecary and blacksmith?

open for all ideas

thanx
Post edited by _Xue_ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• DeliaLotus - Lost City
    DeliaLotus - Lost City Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Level 1 arrows tip is good.

Blacksmith, Your weapon is the heart of your equipment, and trying to work at more than one or two occupations here is tough. The armor is easier and more cost effective to just find from loot.

As to apothecary, I wouldn't personally recommend it, especially if you're going for cost saving. You find enough potions from monster drops to get you through the game, and honestly, why waste the materials crafting something that's a one time use? Materials in PW are actually more valuable than the things they make most of the time, and if you don't need those apothecary items, why waste the resources?

You can always go back and learn tailor / craftsman later, but if you want to try either of those now, go ahead. Just don't worry about leveling them too fast.

Also, trying to avoid potion use in general is a good idea. Meditating isn't that bad - just sit and go browse the forums for a few minutes.

And as stated in the guide, avoid the teleports. Sell the Dragon quest items.

Also, investing early in extending your bank is a good idea. Finish the bankers' two quests as soon as you can (around early level 20s for the second one).
    More bank spots = more DQ items you can gather and sell for slightly higher prices as a cat shop
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    The cost of arrows being a factor in an archer's overall cost is exaggerated at best. Just keep a stack of each of the lv1 ammo types (Woven Fang Arrow, Bone Bolt, Iron Ore Shot), and if necessary have your alts (if you have any) keep any they find as well. Assuming you switch between weapon types every few levels, you won't have to worry about ammo almost at all.

Once you get a "long-term" weapon this might change - I got a Lv42 legendary slingshot and so now I use a crapload of Iron Ore and Lead Shot. At that level though, buying 5000 Iron Ore Shot is pocket change.

Get all the manufacturing skills you want. There's no limit to them.

EDIT: I'll have to disagree with Delia on Apothecary. Herbs are free (unless you buy them from other players, which I don't recommend - hell, I sell bulk Nectar to others and I make a ton), and the stuff you make with them is awesome. Basically, remedies >>>>>> potions... though I'd say both are necessary for anyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I think that any answer we give really depends on you and how you play your character. Personally, I almost never buy potions. I do buy ammo, but that's nothing when compared with my repair costs. But I did buy a mold and that was extremely expensive.

But Apothecary and Blacksmith work well for archers. Jewelry, can also be good, because that will allow you to make your own ammo (but expect to spend lots of time harvesting, if you go this route. You need 100 pieces of iron or wood and 50 of coal to make 5000 pieces of ammo. And you also have to make other things if you want to level up your jewelry skills.

On the other hand, if you ever have to grind for crafting drops you will probably never have to worry about experience (except that you can be shooting up in levels long before you have enough supplies).
  • DeliaLotus - Lost City
    DeliaLotus - Lost City Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    EDIT: I'll have to disagree with Delia on Apothecary. Herbs are free (unless you buy them from other players, which I don't recommend - hell, I sell bulk Nectar to others and I make a ton), and the stuff you make with them is awesome. Basically, remedies >>>>>> potions... though I'd say both are necessary for anyone.

Thanks! I didn't realize all they required was the herbs. I'll look into that.
    Jewelry, can also be good, because that will allow you to make your own ammo (but expect to spend lots of time harvesting, if you go this route.

Here, I'd disagree, because those materials are worth *way* more than the ammunition you can make. Just sell the materials, buy your ammunition, and have extra money left over.
    Crafting jewelry for bonuses is doable, but I seem to find a fair amount of decent ones from drops or quests
  • sacchin
    sacchin Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    If what you're looking for is saving as much money as possible, there's a few things you can do. As has been said, sticking with level 1 ammunition is best. The best way to make money while you play is just to harvest any type of material you find along the way and sell it all. The crafting professions aren't necessary, and they end up being quite expensive to level. The cost may not be direct, as you can farm the materials yourself if you really wish to spend all that time, but the indirect cost will still be very high (time, money you could have made selling, money you could have made farming/leveling, etc).

If you are definitely looking to pick one up however, Blacksmithing is probably the most useful. You need a good weapon. However, you'll use the FB19 Crossbow into your 30s most likely. At this point, you can just buy a cheap weapon or stick it out with your crossbow, and get a quest bow at 45ish from Sumor Camp. That can take you into your 50s, where you can stick it out, or buy another cheap upgrade. That can last you to 60, where your faction should help you with your TT60 weapon. Either that or you can just run TT groups and hope for drops. If you pick up Blacksmithing hoping for good crafts that you can use while leveing, its fairly unlikely without being forced to buy mats for a lot of crafts.

Basically, you can just gather materials if you really want, and ask a faction member or friend to craft for you, and save yourself the expense of leveling tradeskills. If you want them for yourself, its probably better to wait until you are higher level and have money to spare, then just powerlevel through. In the higher levels, you won't be using 3 star equipment anyway.

The cost of leveling EA really isn't that high. If anything, the only major expense you'll find is for buying heiros if you choose to Zhen in yours 60+ levels. Of course this is different if you intend to do a lot of PK/PvP, but since you are on Sanctuary I'm guessing this is not the case.
  • _Xue_ - Sanctuary
    _Xue_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    jee, thank you very much guys, really good suggestions
  • Jacky_ - Sanctuary
    Jacky_ - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i guess the main question is now

that is it still possible to kill of stuff before they get to me?
  • sinistervii
    sinistervii Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Figured out myself that saving money is expensive, but I also find HP pots a waste since if you play correctly you can get unharmed without troubles in the later levels (19+) since the monster will be dead before it gets to you...Unless its a caster.
    MP pots however, those are getting expensive and will make you short on money quite quickly, so yeah i'd do as Delia says if you're low on HP and sit down and meditate for a short minute. (4HP/sec x 60 = 240HP which is enaugh since archers have pretty low HP in the low levels anyway)

In my opinion 50% of your HP is enaugh to survive hits from an enemy, besides you allways have the winged shell as emergencies! Again it all depends on the player.

Note: Listening to me has its riscs, since im only lvl 32 on my archer(s) and hasnt really seen it all yet... But so far ive been following other archers advice and experimenting a little creating my own style so yeah it all comes down to the player how the costs will turn out in the end.
  • rugal
    rugal Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Im a lv 66 archer and all I needed was apocathery to get by. You need life powder and focus powder to cut down on the cost of pots. The quest reward and TT bow are much better than what you can usually craft.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    best way to cut costs for me have been:
    using winged shell a tonand using take aim lvl1/canceling its charge to gain chi
    saving for and buying a great wep and looking for good rings to kill FAST
    using pwdatabase.com to find mobs with lower defense or weak to metal to grind on
    trying to get cleric buffs
    till 6x i use a lot of HP regen equipment which heavily cut back on potion costs, but this is a personal playing style choice
    of course always try to start at max range and attack from area to not get mobbed, move around somewhat so things dont spawn behind/on top of you
    oh yah and using spark for some free kills/HP